FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First time post, 2nd pork butt on a Weber 1-touch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juelze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 1:10 am    Post subject: First time post, 2nd pork butt on a Weber 1-touch Reply with quote

After watching all these grilling and barbecuing shows on TV I want to try grilling up more then just burgers and brats. I had been given a free charbroil grill from a friend when my wife and I bought our first house, but I really didn't use it that much. So, I decided to buy myself the traditional Weber One-Touch grill (22.5"). Anyway, I heard that it was possible to cook a pork butt on these things so I figured I'd give it a try.

The first time didn't go so well, I took it off at 160 instead of 180+ as I didn't know that you had to get the temp up in order for it to "pull". Also, I used too much pecan wood and it tasted like smoked fish.

Anyway, this past weekend I tried another pork butt (3.75lb) and it came out A LOT better. The smoke wasn't as intense and it actually pulled (took off at 186). There was a bit of sootiness from the smoke, but nothing over the top. All and all it was really good and I can't wait to to it again. However, using a Weber grill for smoking is a bit of a challenge in that it requires constant attention. The 3 things that make it a lot easier is my Maverick Dual-probe wireless thermometer (1 in the meat, one through a cork resting on the grates), hinged grate and chimney starter. Anyway, just wanted to post a link of how it came out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21402204@N05/

Also, I'm thinking about having my parents over one weekend when I cook up another butt, which forces the question. What cooks faster, two 3.5lb puts or one 7lb butt? I would think that the two 3.5lbs would cook faster since there is more surface area exposed to the heat, but I figured I'd ask the pros.

Cheers,
Ryan
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got it down Juelze. Good looking pulled. Your parents will love it.

Since you have to babysit your grill I will suggest you get the (2) 3.5# butts. They will cook faster.

Sounds like you're hooked. I can see it already. You'll be thinking of getting a smoker soon. Very Happy

Doc
juelze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc1680 wrote:
Looks like you got it down Juelze. Good looking pulled. Your parents will love it.

Since you have to babysit your grill I will suggest you get the (2) 3.5# butts. They will cook faster.

Sounds like you're hooked. I can see it already. You'll be thinking of getting a smoker soon. Very Happy

I think you're correct in that I am indeed hooked. I want to do ribs sometime in the near future, but I was just amazed at how good the butt turned out. Can't believe that just a regular Weber kettle can do that. A WSM might be a good choice, but if smoking got that easy, I might have to buy bigger pants. Wink
OldSchoolWeberMan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to cook butts and other low and slow stuff on your Weber OT I would recommend looking at the Smokenator. (No, I'm not selling them.) I have a Weber OTG and I've been very happy with the results I've gotten with my 'nator. It lets you step away from the grill and requires attention at most once ever hour and a half. If you search for it here on this forum or google it you'll fine them.
BigBaby Double Barrel Homemade
Weber Q120
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, you did an outstanding job on that Butt beautiful color and it does look moist. Very Happy I am with Doc1680 I would go with Two Butts. And as OldSchoolWeberMan said a Smokenator is a good investment.
dinty
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

screw that derriere and WOW on the beer cellar...jesus man, you stocking up for WW3 or what? lol
juelze

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words guys!!! Like I said, my first butt wasn't so great, but I learned from my mistakes and the second one came out a lot better.

That Smokenator looks very tempting. However, that butt I cooked and posted the pics to, took over 6 hours to cook. Of course, at one point the temp dropped below 200 and I had to get some charcoal going again. But do most smokes take less then 6 hours? I thought smoking took longer than that and it seems like it might be a slight pain to have to re-add charcoal with that Smokenator. Still, it's very tempting!!!!

And as for the beer cellar, hehe, I love my beer and most of the stuff in my cellar are barley wines and imperial stouts that I'm letting age. The stuff on the walls are just SOME of my empties. Wink
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on the butt for sure,looks like a good pull Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
PlaneSmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juelze,

I hear you on the babysitting. I did ribs on Sunday. It took four hours and some vigilance watching the glass. Maybe a bit more-so this time using a new thermometer and making sure it didn't go postal on those "backs".

I don't use a smokenator, just put the coals on the side with a drip pan & water (probably like you're doing). I will say it would be nice to be able to add coals left often and not having to remove that huge lid to do so.
If I weren't in the market for a bullet, I might pick up the 'nator.

Good luck.

Mike
ProQ Excel 20
Weber One-touch (2)
Weber Genesis Gold
Weber Smokey Joe
Fatrat
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. most cooks take more than 6 hours for butts, but if you're doing 3-3.5 pound butts, and figure as a guide line 1.5 to 2 hours per pound, you're right there. Of course we always cook to done, time is a rule of thumb, temperature is a better indicator, and knowing how a done piece of meat feels and looks like is the best. Good luck,and remember, there is very little a Weber Kettle can not cook, just have to decide how much attention you want to give your fire.

Ray

Brinkmann Southfork Smoker
Weber One Touch gold
Weber Performer
UDS
Cast Hibachi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: