FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Well, OK then!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Aug 24 2008    Post subject: Well, OK then! Reply with quote

Just thought people would get a kick out of this.

I've been looking for a more regular wood supplier around here, even if it means paying for it. Found two places that sold and delivered full cords to my choice of wood (ie: I could order 1/4 cherry, 1/4 apple, 1/4 maple, 1/4 hickory and they don't charge extra) year round. One's over in the next county north of me (Probably about 40 miles), one's about 5 miles down the road.

Called them for prices, just heard back.

Place in the next country: $175 dollars, delivered and stacked.

Place right down the road: $300 dollars, delivered and stacked! But he did offer me $200 if I was willing to come get it myself!

Whodathunkit? Very Happy
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Aug 24 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proof that it pays to shop around!
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

It's great when you find a good deal like that! Congrats!

Should we now expect LOTS more cook threads with pics from you? No 'I can't get enough cooking wood' excuses! Laughing
gordo
BBQ Super Fan

Ive found the same thing...wood prices vary a great deal...shopping around is the best bet for the best deal...

I found a old guy who comes in the beer joint that sells me a level pickup load of oak for $60.00...I always make it $70.00 cause he delivers to my driveway...have ordered 2 loads from him in the past and getting ready to order another for the second half of my cookoff season...

I only burn 12-16 sticks a cookoff according the the wind, and outside temps, so it last me for some time...
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

I just turned a guy away that was delivering wood today,

Get this, He comes up to me a few days ago asking if I buy my cooking wood, I tell him that if the price is right I always need wood for cooking and heating.

he tells me $75.00/cord delivered, I say I will take 4 cords right now. (I usually pay 150 a cord, cut split & delivered, or $75 a cord for 8' lengths by the semi trailer that holds 10 cords that I need to cut & split.

He shows up with a dump-trailer behind his truck, I ask when the rest will be brought and he says "this is all of it" so before he even starts to operate the dump hydraulics I ask "what do you call a cord?" he says a stack 8'x4'x16" Whooa!!! wait a minute, those dimensions equal 1/3rd of a cord, so your prices are $225.00 for a full cord. I don't think so buddy!!

of course there was a few choice words used by him, but WTF, get the amounts correct. I sure am glad I didn't just leave a check for him.

So with that story, Make sure you and your supplier are talking the same amounts before delivery & payment is made.
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Aug 25 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely will check that - thanks for the tip, Harry! Very Happy

As to more cooks, I guess I'd better once I don't have any excuses! Very Happy

I may also be helping a friend of mine take down a sugar maple from his yard in a bit here, and stack it up for next year...

Edit: Just talked to the guy - 128 cubic feet of wood in his cord. Don't know if that's perfect, but it ought to do me fine. Smile
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Aug 27 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're on the right track.

From Harry's post (16"/12") * 4' * 8' = 42.67 cubic feet for a 1/3 cord.

42.6 cu ft * 3 = 128 cu ft of wood! Wink
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

Baaah. If I was good at math I wouldn't work in computers. Wink I'd be making the GOOD money doing programming or as an actuary.

Oh, well. Smile It seems to be working out just fine! The gentleman delivered today during my lunch hour.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

Yup, 128 cu/ft is a full cord, which is commonly stacked 8'x4'x8'

I just had a pick-up load of White oak dropped yesterday, green as can be, this stuff is so tough an axe is useless against it.

I can swing an axe, and when I hit this stuff I got zero penetration, this load is going to need hydraulic assistance for sure. I might be able to use a wedge and a 20# sledge to get the initial crack out of it.

White oak is rare in these parts, we have mostly red oak up here, I am looking forward to trying it next year.
sksmoker

PostPosted: Aug 28 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would kill for a wood supply like that. Be thankful you have such cheap wood prices!!
Stickburning Offset
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: