FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hog prices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
morick
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26 08 9:31 pm    Post subject: hog prices Reply with quote

Hogs here are going down in price and was wondering if any one knows if they are going to continue to spiral . Spring time i saw prices of 27.00 to 32.00 . Most of this summer they were 60 + per hundred wt . Hog prices here now are 38.00 from 60.00 just in three weeks.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26 08 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know pork historically drops in the winter, so I am guessing it stems from the prices of hogs falling.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26 08 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are "on the hoof" prices?

I'm not a butcher, so I purchase from an approved wholesaler.

I currently pay $1.39 a pound for pigs over 70 pounds (cleaned, hair removed, USDA stamped).

Smaller pigs are a lttle more.
morick
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27 08 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im hoping they go down a little bit more. I buy my hogs at the local sale barn . The meat locker here has a guy who picks up animals there at salebarn, cleans and halves them than hangs them in a walk in cooler@ meat locker to be cooled down and picked up, or you can have the butcher at the meat locker cut it up for you . The "slaughter" charges $25.00 flat rate .
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27 08 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: hog prices Reply with quote

morick wrote:
....... was wondering if any one knows if they are going to continue to spiral .

We hope not!

This is why: 1998 was a disastrous year with live hogs at 8¢ to 10¢ - a lot of family swine farms went out of business, which resulted in large integrator consolidation.

The US lost even more family hog farms this year due to the high feed costs, related to inputs of corn and beans. Large farms are increasing in size.

Should the above trend continue then “those who control the checkbook will control the deal” i.e. prices will be dictated and we will have little choice other than to pay their prices….or replace pork, due to prices, with other meats.

Support family farms, where and when possible.

You can keep up with projected live prices by going to this link and multipling the quoted # by .74%. http://data.tradingcharts.com/futures/quotes/LH.html
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 08 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place down the street from me says "$1.29 bbq pigs" on the sign. That's w/o any negotiating...just walk in & purchase price. When we buy bbq pigs they are ready for the cooker...no real prep work. Without checking I'm assuming this price is for a medium sized pig in the 100-120# range

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: