FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

College Football Season...predictions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom Emery wrote:
No we dont need a playoff

LSU ended up in the championship game with two losses
USC could not get there with two

Todays ranking show it pays to NOT go cupcake early

Ahh, Thom shows his hand. It says a lot about USC's schedule that he considers taking on UVA to be the opposite of "going cupcake". UVA is a second rate team in a conference fighting the Big East to become the least deserving conference in the BCS. I think I might start lobbying to remove the ACC and let them fight it out with the rest of the "BCS busters". Vanderbilt would have given you a better game than UVA (they're actually building a solid program over there and they're doing it right).

This is probably the toughest schedule USC has had in a few years due to the Ohio State game, but as the last few years have proven, OSU's still not equivalent to a top SEC team. Unfortunately, the Notre Dame game is gonna' be another laugher this year (not USC's fault). UGA (or LSU or FL, etc) could easily lose three games this year and still be a better team than almost anyone on USC's schedule. As it stands now, it's difficult to gauge Ohio State or USC by their regular season. It's not that they're not good football teams, you just can't tell how good until they get to a bowl game.

The LSU pick last year put the lie to this being a great system. USC and UGA both had legitimate claims to being in that game (USC's was probably greater because of the conference championship, but all were legit). I personally don't think UGA belonged there, so this isn't sour grapes; I just want a better system than what we have now. As I said before, I prefer the old system to this sham.
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
As it stands now, it's difficult to gauge Ohio State or USC by their regular season. It's not that they're not good football teams, you just can't tell how good until they get to a bowl game.

Easily the best point made in this thread so far.

Ohio State screwed up against Florida by getting TOO psyched up. Heck they hurt their star player in a celebration after the first play, dang kids. Last year they were in it almost the whole game against LSU. Considering OSU beat Miami in 2002, they are not TOTAL slouches or chokes.

I will continue to sit back and read how great you SEC boys think that conference is... Since the rest of all college football can't carry an SEC team's jock strap. January will tell.

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
Thom Emery
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres my point Guys (By the way I am a oregon fan)
The regular season in Football counts from the first cupcake to
the bowls
Everyone follows every game of your team not like basketball
where there are so many games and it is just make it to the dance.
I love the College Football

SEC fans everyone KNOWS that is the best conference in Football
My point was LSU lost twice and was there at the end because they are from such a tough conference
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Thom, we have some common ground! How do you guys like QB Justin Roper? He came from my high school (Buford, GA). Is he going to recover from the concussion this past week?

On the other side, how do you guys justify those unbelievably ugly and ever changing uniforms? Very Happy They're so bad they make my wife comment!
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom Emery wrote:
SEC fans everyone KNOWS that is the best conference in Football
My point was LSU lost twice and was there at the end because they are from such a tough conference

I'm not an SEC fan, but I will acknowledge that it is the best conference.

However, a National Champion is one team, not a entire conference. A National Champion can be from a fairly weak conference, so long as they beat Goliath from the SEC in the championship game.

MORAL: A strong conference like the SEC, really does a disservice to itself in trying to produce a national championship team because it is so hard to remain undefeated in a tough conference.

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmieOhio wrote:
Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
As it stands now, it's difficult to gauge Ohio State or USC by their regular season. It's not that they're not good football teams, you just can't tell how good until they get to a bowl game.

Easily the best point made in this thread so far.

Ohio State screwed up against Florida by getting TOO psyched up. Heck they hurt their star player in a celebration after the first play, dang kids. Last year they were in it almost the whole game against LSU. Considering OSU beat Miami in 2002, they are not TOTAL slouches or chokes.

I will continue to sit back and read how great you SEC boys think that conference is... Since the rest of all college football can't carry an SEC team's jock strap. January will tell.

well I think the last 2 years shows us that the BIG 10 and tOSU certainly cant even get close to carrying an SEC jock...though when they are on the field together, the tOSU players certainly seem to do a lot of picking up their own....

and I wont get into the phantom flag for interference......that just got thrown...
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmieOhio wrote:

MORAL: A strong conference like the SEC, really does a disservice to itself in trying to produce a national championship team because it is so hard to remain undefeated in a tough conference.

And thus the reason for a playoff system. If so many of the SEC teams are that good then let's see which one is the best at the end of the year when it counts.

This could go for any conference that has several good years with power teams like the SEC has had lately.
csmith15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this thread and I guess I'll throw my .02 in.

I'm going to pick OU vs USC for the national title. I just think the SEC will beat each other up too much to allow someone to get in from there.

As for my team, it looks like I am the lone Yellow Jacket in the middle of a bunch of dawg fans. I am actually very excited about GT this year. We finally got a new coach that knows how to win. I think it will take him a couple of years to get everything the way he wants it. But once he does I think Paul Johnson will have a consistent winning team. Actually now that I think about it, the ACC is sucking so bad that we may have an outside shot at the title game.
Bryce Crane
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the jackets will definitely contend for the ACC championship...not a bad team at all this year.
Klose Offset
2 labradors
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm..I guess we will know a lot more about Tech chances after tonight...if they can handle BC on the road then they should have a shot...Clemson is going to get things turned around, but they still have problems up front.

FSU and the U might be better, might not...Tech still has a solid front 4 and a decent overall defense.
Bryce Crane
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgPhan wrote:
Hmmm..I guess we will know a lot more about Tech chances after tonight...if they can handle BC on the road then they should have a shot...Clemson is going to get things turned around, but they still have problems up front.

FSU and the U might be better, might not...Tech still has a solid front 4 and a decent overall defense.

You're right.
Klose Offset
2 labradors
csmith15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you mean we will know by Saturday, since we don't play until then. Wink

Yea, we will have alot of questions answered then. BC only put up 21 points on Kent St so I am not real concerned about their offense, but their D does scare me a bit. They have one of the top D-Lines in the nation, and we are still getting used to our new offense.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csmith15 wrote:
I'm guessing you mean we will know by Saturday, since we don't play until then. Wink

Yea, we will have alot of questions answered then. BC only put up 21 points on Kent St so I am not real concerned about their offense, but their D does scare me a bit. They have one of the top D-Lines in the nation, and we are still getting used to our new offense.

just so used to Tech playing on thursdays I guess...I guess it is USC v Vandy that is on ESPN tonight...whic reminds me that the OBC gets a couple of extra days to get ready for the Dawgs, great...
Thom Emery
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
Now Thom, we have some common ground! How do you guys like QB Justin Roper? He came from my high school (Buford, GA). Is he going to recover from the concussion this past week?

On the other side, how do you guys justify those unbelievably ugly and ever changing uniforms? Very Happy They're so bad they make my wife comment!

Yea I hope Roper is OK That JC transfer QB did one heck of a job

The Guy that owns Nike is a Duck They have what 130 posible uniforms
I like to see each week what they will do to top the week before
Thom Emery
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lantern wrote:
JimmieOhio wrote:

And thus the reason for a playoff system. If so many of the SEC teams are that good then let's see which one is the best at the end of the year when it counts.

This could go for any conference that has several good years with power teams like the SEC has had lately.

Sorry It aint top ta bottom
No playoff needed
Play a tough schedule and win your games
Kevin Randolph
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! Vandy just beat South Carolina!!! That's what I love about the SEC, anybody can beat anybody. A lot of folks consider Vandy to be the weakest team in the SEC and they knock off a ranked opponent. Highest ranked opponent Vandy has knocked off since 1937. Good stuff right there!
Bryce Crane
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They looked good to be sure. Looked quick on both sides of the ball.
Klose Offset
2 labradors
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly was a fun game last night, but I dont think that it makes the game next weekend in Columbia any easier...
polock
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06 08 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no tigers fans ?
weber genesis E-320
Weber Performer
Smokey joe
2 UDS's (love em)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Slobberin' Hog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06 08 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want Tiger fans?
Here's one. What do Nebraska and Colorado have in common? Answer, They both had to cheat to win a share of National Championship!!!!! Hey McCartney, "WWJD". I'll tell you what Jesus wouldn't do. He wouldn't cheat to win a share of the National Title. I was at the game, I know what happened. It's not bad enough you got an extra down, your QB was sitting on his ass on the 2 yard line then layed down to put the ball in the endzone for the "winning score". Last time I checked, one ass on the ground equalled a knee down. He was down, no touchdown. Thanks for the stab in the back "Judas", you suck.
Sorry for the rant. There's a lot of pent up aggression.
You want to know why MIZZOU will win the Title? Here it is. First, we have the best QB in the nation. Tebow, Safford, or Bradford? Please, you all suck. Senior leadership goes a long way. Daniel is the most fundamentally sound QB in the nation. Who has a better tandem of recievers than Maclin and Coffman? Watch out for Derrick Washington at RB. The man is a beast. He has the quickness and the power to be one of the best. Now, everyone will say the defense is in bad shape because of the Illinois game. Don't be so quick to judge. This the same defense that was the #1 scoring defense in the Big 12 last year. I'll take Moore, Weatherspoon and Sulak over anybody in the country. How about kicker. Surely our kicker isn't that good. Wrong!!!!! Wolfert is more than likely the best kicker in the nation. He hasn't ever missed a kick in league play. EVER. And how about that 51 yarder against Illinois.
The bottom line is this. Great offense + good defense + great special teams + very favorable schedule = National Title. Just remember anything can happen,a fifth down or an illegally kicked ball can ruin your season or take you to a Championship. Either way it's one hell of a ride.

T.G.I.F.S (Thank God it's Football Season)
MIZ-ZOU
Tiger fan for Life,
Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: