FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

College Football Season...predictions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
I don't want to beat what the conference presidents have made clear is a dead horse, but I still don't see the argument against a playoff. Everyone says it comes down to money, but think about the frenzy that would build around a rotating series of the BCS bowls incorporated into a plaoff with the other bowls staying in place for the other teams.

I couldn't agree more! I also think this keeps the best teams at their best every week and doesn't allow the six or seven weeks of hype leading up to the NC game.

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmieOhio wrote:
Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
I don't want to beat what the conference presidents have made clear is a dead horse, but I still don't see the argument against a playoff. Everyone says it comes down to money, but think about the frenzy that would build around a rotating series of the BCS bowls incorporated into a plaoff with the other bowls staying in place for the other teams.

I couldn't agree more! I also think this keeps the best teams at their best every week and doesn't allow the six or seven weeks of hype leading up to the NC game.

you guys did just see that the SEC just got 3 billion dollars for their TV rights for the next 15 years, right? Why on earth would they change when the league is as rich as ever?

Plus I dont think that a playoff is really what is best for college football...

of course i would have loved to have seen one last season... Twisted Evil
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DagPhan, why wouldn't it be the best thing for college FB? I think it would make March Madness look like the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest.

I don't think it would hurt the SEC at all and would actually bring in bigger $ over time (can you imagine not having a minimum of 4 SEC teams most years in the tourney?) It shouldn't affect their regular season deals and would highlight how strong the competition. Not only that, but it might prompt some better out of conference scheduling from the SEC.
Thom Emery
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a playoff its called the season
There is no need to screw with this
MAYBE a plus one game There have been years when 3 teams deserved to be in the championship game The Sec got the short end of the stick more than once in those
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plus 1 is just another name for a tournament, just a crappy ineffective one. The only reason I can see to argue against a playoff are those who play in weak conferences and who can coast through 10 games of their season. The current setup punishes both those in tough conferences and those who schedule tough out of conference opponents. Let's look at Ohio State's schedule last year:

9/1 YOUNGSTOWN STATE
9/8 AKRON
9/15 at Washington
9/22 NORTHWESTERN
9/29 at Minnesota
10/6 at Purdue
10/13 KENT STATE
10/20 MICHIGAN STATE
10/27 at Penn State
11/3 WISCONSIN
11/10 ILLINOIS
11/17 at Michigan

Which one of those games qualified them for a shot at the NC? Bueller? Bueller? Even if Michigan hadn't struggled last year, that still would have left OSU with one game all year that wasn't a slam dunk.

Even a plus one last year would have resulted in a whale of an argument; should it be UGA or USC in the plus 1? Thom, God love ya', but the plus 1 is the weakest argument against a playoff. The next weakest (as demonstrated above) is that the regular season is equivalent to a playoff.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but if you have your sights set on a 16 team playoff you dont fully understand what that actually means and you will not be getting that any time soon. The Plus 1 or the 4 team playoff is the only viable option for moving towards a playoff.

A 16 team playoff would NEVER include 4 SEC teams and would at best include 2 teams from any one conference.

You would have to include the winners of all conferences. You couldnt say that the MAC champ doesnt get invited to a 16 team playoff.

Why would UGA give up a home game and a for sure sellout for an away playoff game.

People wouldnt travel the way they do now to playoff games.

16 teams eliminates a lot of the current bowl system. While they might not be that important to you, they certainly mean a hell of a lot to the players, coaches, and fans of the programs that get a chance at a post season. To deny them because of some whim of ESPN pundits or fair weather football fans just doesnt seem right..

But this thread isnt about a playoff...suffice it to say that the powers that be, know better than to sign up for a 16 team playoff and we can all be thankful for that.
PlaneSmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that the regular season AND plus 1 is a weak excuse for determining a national champion. There is no compelling argument for any system outside of a playoff for determining a true national champion.

I don't agree that OSU should have been OUT of the NC game last year, AND understand arguments from others about teams that could have been there.

Poppa's got it right and it would be great if they would just take the leap now so that all of the cryers will have the 10 years it will take to pay everybody and institute the system.

[/quote]

Mike
ProQ Excel 20
Weber One-touch (2)
Weber Genesis Gold
Weber Smokey Joe
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgPhan, you and I mostly agree on the likelihood of it happening (frankly, my young children will be out of college before any serious playoff would happen anyway). What I am saying is what should happen. You don't think people would travel for a tournament? Try to get tickets to March Madness lately? I know that there is some difference because of the nature of the games, but to say that people wouldn't travel for this kind of tourney is nonsense.

I already said that the other bowls should continue and frankly they would matter about as much as they do know.

You say you would have to include all the conference champions...again, since this is just a thought experiment anyway, why? If you wanted to go practical, then let's talk about an 8 game playoff. if you want to talk about a perfect world instead of practical, let's eliminate the BCS conferences. If the ACC hasn't already forfeited any rational chance at laying claim to being an elite conference right now, nobody has.

I actually prefer the old system to this fiction of a "national champion" we have now. Attempts to modify it (the plus one scenario) are just trying to put lipstick on a pig.

The most sensible thing you've said is that we're hijacking this thread and I don't really think it's fair, so I'll try to eliminate responding to any more playoff talk. I'll just end by saying that I'm right and you're wrong! Razz Laughing
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think that comparisons between march madness and a college football playoff is exactly comparing apples to apples. 1 a ticket to a first round march madness game could possibly include several games..also I dont particularly care how anyone else does it. Football is the best regular season and quite simply wouldnt be best served by using the system of some lesser sport.
Bryce Crane
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a playoff now...and have needed a playoff for some time. If OSU makes it the NC this year...AGAIN...and gets their eyes beat out...AGAIN...then I'm just gonna keep laughing my ass off like everyone in the nation does every year...and then cry, because it's like anything else...if the money aint right, they aint gonna change it. While Poppa has great points, it's a hard seed to swallow for the idiots that run it. I firmly believe that if they come to realize a plan that is guarenteed to make much more money, then they would entertain the idea of a playoff. But right now it's just not worth the gamble to them. It's not about sports when it comes to the bcs, it's about money IMO.
Klose Offset
2 labradors
SIMPLE Q
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict tennessee will lose to ucla due to poor play calling Laughing Laughing Laughing
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that if they don't get a kicker by game time, the special teams play is going to hurt Rocky Top big time when they face UCLA! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously, I think Cutcliffe is going to be sorely missed at UT. He was the key to their success; they suffered when he left to take on Ole Miss, came back when he returned and it looks like they are going to suffer again in his absence.

UGA had better not take Central Michigan lightly this week. The MAC is a very competetive conference, although they are not at the level of the top tier conferences yet (certainly not at the BCS level). I love the frequent MAC matchups on Thursday night ESPN games, they are fun as all get out.
h00kemh0rns
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIMPLE Q wrote:
I predict tennessee will lose to ucla due to poor play calling Laughing Laughing Laughing

Should never blame an official for the outcome of a game. Especially when a ranked team plays an unranked one.

http://www.bigsteelkeg.com/

My Keg can kick your Egg's ceramic @$$
Kevin Randolph
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

h00kemh0rns wrote:
SIMPLE Q wrote:

Should never blame an official for the outcome of a game. Especially when a ranked team plays an unranked one.

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but I don't think SimpleQ was blaming the officials. I think he was saying it was the offensive coordinator or Coaching Staff for Tennessee.

The play calling in the 2nd half was not very good. Tn had so many chances in the 1st half. Was it just me or did the Offensive Coordinator have the "deer in the headlights" look late in the 2nd half & OT?
h00kemh0rns
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Randolph wrote:
h00kemh0rns wrote:
SIMPLE Q wrote:

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but I don't think SimpleQ was blaming the officials. I think he was saying it was the offensive coordinator or Coaching Staff for Tennessee.

The play calling in the 2nd half was not very good. Tn had so many chances in the 1st half. Was it just me or did the Offensive Coordinator have the "deer in the headlights" look late in the 2nd half & OT?

My bad Embarassed

http://www.bigsteelkeg.com/

My Keg can kick your Egg's ceramic @$$
Bryce Crane
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like watching the MAC too...fun junk.
Klose Offset
2 labradors
SIMPLE Q
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't know about the OC but they showed fat phil after about the 2nd 3 and out in the second half and he had the look on his face liked he crapped his pants

for years I have cussed fulmer for running the ball too much (over conservative play) and last night when he did need to run the ball he and the OC kept calling all these artsy fartsy pass plays It was still a good game, nonetheless (except for fat phils undershorts)
burgandy-smoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the amount of money involved, it's the control of the money. In the current system, the college presidents and the conferences control how the money is divided up. In a playoff, the NCAA would control it. The presidents won't vote for a playoff, even though I believe that it would fall above the final four and below only the Super Bowl in popularity.

Div 1-AA, 2 & 3 all have a 16 team playoff. Those guys are a lot closer to being "student ath-ah-letes" than the Div 1 guys, and they seem to not suffer too much academically during the playoffs.

(Heck, in Virginia, the 1-AA teams are a lot more interesting and more likable than the two so-called Div 1 schools (UVA and Va Tech). Not nearly the number of police blotter reports on them, and the few of them that go to the NFL are generally good guys.)
Thom Emery
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No we dont need a playoff
The Regular season is wonderful
The SEC yes is a tough league
LSU ended up in the championship game with two losses
USC could not get there with two

Todays ranking show it pays to NOT go cupcake early
Bryce Crane
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you on drugs?
Klose Offset
2 labradors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: