FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

College Football Season...predictions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
h00kemh0rns
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 08 4:18 am    Post subject: College Football Season...predictions Reply with quote

Who are your predictions for the top two teams playing for the NC? Who wins?

Where does your favorite team end the season?

http://www.bigsteelkeg.com/

My Keg can kick your Egg's ceramic @$$
h00kemh0rns
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 08 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCS game: Georgia vs OU
BCS winner: Georgia

My team: Texas 10-2 off to the Cotton bowl against LSU.

Thom Emery
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 08 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REALLY looking forward to the Ohio USC showdown
I have a Daughter at Un of Oregon
Maybe be a rough year in Duckville

Georgia is a very good team
but I fear playing in the SEC
is a .................
h00kemh0rns
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 08 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom Emery wrote:

Georgia is a very good team
but I fear playing in the SEC
is a .................

OSU won't hang with USC. It won't be close.

JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 08 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four words: The Ohio State University Very Happy

Or, three words: Respect the Vest Wink

Or, seven words: Not another loss in the national championship! Crying or Very sad

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
doojr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 08 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSU vs USC, no OHIO, no MICHIGAN, no OKLAHOMA, doesnt matter, we'll beat any of them
Rub the Butt BBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 08 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horns........I like your optimizum! Go Dawgs!!!

Stumps GF 223
Custom Built Offset Stick Burner
h00kemh0rns
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 08 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmieOhio wrote:
Four words: The Ohio State University Very Happy

Or, three words: Respect the Vest Wink

Or, seven words: Not another loss in the national championship! Crying or Very sad

You lose beanie for the game against USC, or worse for a length of time, you may as well forget about the NC.

h00kemh0rns
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 08 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rub the Butt BBQ wrote:
Horns........I like your optimizum! Go Dawgs!!!

After week 1...I still think GA is the team to beat this year. We'll see as they play some tougher teams. If it is OU/GA for the NC I think it will be one of the better games of the year.

Kevin Randolph
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After week 1, I think it will be USC vs 1 of 5 from SEC, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn or Alabama in no particular order. The SEC is loaded this year!

On another note, how bout Utah knockin off Michigan in The Big House! Michigan is starting a trend of poorly getting out of the gate.
krek
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict Missouri beats the Huskers in Nebraska for the first time in almost 30 years... beats Texas and then avenges our our only losses from last year by beating OU for the Big 12 Championship.

After that all bets are off.
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first let me say that I am a proud UGA and SEC partisan, but I do my best to be honest about our chances. I'm not one of those UGA wackjobs (and there are plenty) who think they should be in the NC race every year.

UGA will lose at some point if the season, if not at multiple points. It's very difficult to deal with the pressure of a #1 ranking for the entire season, regardless of how good you are. I would have been happier if they had been ranked #2 and felt slighted. With the schedule at UGA (at least after the Central Michigan game next week), there will never be a more deserved shot at a NC if they can go with only one win throughout the rest of the year, but that's not even money in my book (but oh, how I hope and wish!).

The Big 10 is a joke and Ohio State should no longer be allowed to play for the BCS until they can beat a world class SEC team (or is that redundant?). Ohio State is an overrrated team playing in an overrated conference. I know the Big 10 guys will come out looking at their conference total wins against the SEC and complain, but wins against Ole Miss, Kentucky and Vanderbilt shouldn't count the same as wins against UGA, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, etc). If OSU is worth their salt, you'll find out when they play USC. Of course USC's schedule is usually a cupcake too, so it's difficult to judge how good they are too (they look to be loaded with talent and they sure whomped a sad looking Virginia team this past week).

After this first weekend, the ACC should close up shop or move to I-AA (or the Super Champion Happy Fun Division, or whatever they're calling it this year). Clemson got their hats handed to them by what is at the moment (sorry Bama fans) a second rate SEC team. Virginia Tech got beaten by a team called the Pirates who wear purple (not that their's anything wrong with that!). Who would have ever thought the addition of VA Tech, Boston College, Miami, etc, would make for such a weak conference in such a short period? How did they shed so much credibility in so little time?

The SEC is a meatgrinder and it makes it difficult to go through unscathed; but then again, it is the class of the conferences and I would rather play there than anywhere else. Can anyone honestly say that any of the top six or seven teams in the SEC wouldn't be the odds on favorite to win (almost) any other conference this year if they played there? Move Ohio State into the SEC and see how quickly they become South Carolina (and that's not a knock against South Carolina!).
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
UGA will lose at some point if the season, if not at multiple points. It's very difficult to deal with the pressure of a #1 ranking for the entire season, regardless of how good you are. I would have been happier if they had been ranked #2 and felt slighted.

Best point of the thread (except of course, my earlier ones...) Wink

My son and I were commiserating yesterday about how bad Ohio State did in the last two NC games, yet they won in 2002 against a heavily-favored Miami team.

I don't care who you are, where you are from, the hype and pressure makes it tough to get to number one and stay there the entire season.

The thing I always thought was a killer, too, was the length of time the top teams sit out from the last reagular season game until the NC. Six weeks? Ridiculous!

Well, let's just sit back and see what happens in the next ten or twelve weeks. Very Happy

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict my beloved Fighting Irish will suck again. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

But, I'll watch them and cuss them all the way! Laughing Laughing Very Happy
broncosmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom Emery wrote:

So is she single and does she Q? Heading there in 3 weeks for the game. Not sure we will win but am going for the experience and to put a check near that box of stadiums visited.

Four words: The Ohio State University

Or, three words: Respect the Vest

Or, seven words: Not another loss in the national championship!

HOW about two words: CHOKE CITY

lol sorry had to go there[/quote]
PlaneSmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: College Football Season...predictions Reply with quote

h00kemh0rns wrote:
Who are your predictions for the top two teams playing for the NC? Who wins?

Where does your favorite team end the season?

Broncosmoker, above is the request. If you rag on another team, show some guts and post your picks. lol, I had to get that in there Exclamation

I agree with Thom that the USC OSU game will tell a lot. While Wells will be a loss, OSU is deep enough where this does not have to be the main factor for a loss. Too many guys back from last year. USC looks really good. This could have been the NC game. I was about to type that it's unlikely given they play in the regular season, but it's the BCS.

I can't stand Saban, but Bama thoroughly dismantled Clemson and I'm thinking they may have something brewing there.

I don't see the horns there.

The polls really are non-sense until mid-October, and it will be fun to watch.

My team is Michigan State and whomever plays West Ypsilanti State. I'd like to think they will be somewhere around 8-4 or 9-3. However, the Cal loss reveals that they have some old gremlins to work out.

Mike
ProQ Excel 20
Weber One-touch (2)
Weber Genesis Gold
Weber Smokey Joe
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a UGA whack job, but quite honestly I dont know that any team on UGA's schedule could beat the dawgs if they are playing up to their potential. The problem is that there is going to be a down week and it all depends on where that week falls. Clearly it aint going to be UF or LSU...it is too easy to predict loses there and if you aint up for those games you aint getting up for anything...I worry about a trip to Columbia and getting UT at our house...ASU is just going to serve to showcase the SEC dominance and give some folks something to compare UGA and USC for the rest of the season.

Go Dawgs!!!
Bryce Crane
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope: What we all should have seen last year...USC vs. Georgia.

It's going to be a tough haul with the toughest schedule in the nation, but with UGA VII leading the way...we should do just fine. Cool
Klose Offset
2 labradors
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think it's a OU vs USC rematch. Okay, I'm biased, OU '77 and USC '88

I think they should hold off the polls until October.

We've had our issues, 4 times losing in the BCS. It sucks, everybody knows it sucks.

SEC is a meatgrinder all right, it's fun to watch that from the outside, but don't want to see it from the inside (unless it's a tailgate).

If you didn't see OU whup-up on a I-AA team it was a good first half and then they just called running plays up the middle to run out the clock (and not run up the score). Of course the 90 delay at halftime was because of weather, not that the opponent left at headtime and the troopers had to chase them down.

I'm all for Beating UT again this year, thats the first goal.

Missouri in the Big 12, should be a good rematch, hope you bring the Defense from last weekend along.

Here's to hoping all your teams win....UNLESS it's against one of mine.
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think USC and Ohio State have the easiest routes to the NC game. That doesn't mean that they'll get there. If the SEC champion has only one loss, that should make them a lock to get in (UF, UGA, LSU, Auburn, whoever), unless either USC or OSU win out the rest of their games after their showdown and somehow a dark horse goes undefeated. Missouri is a team to watch, although I think they'll have a hard time with Oklahoma.

I don't want to beat what the conference presidents have made clear is a dead horse, but I still don't see the argument against a playoff. Everyone says it comes down to money, but think about the frenzy that would build around a rotating series of the BCS bowls incorporated into a playoff with the other bowls staying in place for the other teams. I would have to save vacation days so that I could stay up for these things. In my mind, a sixteen team playoff would be one of the most exciting developments in college sports history. I'm tired of a star chamber deciding who the top two teams in the nation are. You would still have to have a process for choosing the top 16 teams, but it's a lot harder to complain that you had a real shot at winning the NC if you just missed the 16th slot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: