FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Since we are rating- Please check these out...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharky300

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30 08 3:27 am    Post subject: Since we are rating- Please check these out... Reply with quote

Allright here it goes- Be Honest!!!! I can handle it... All suggestions / comments will be appreciated!!

Brisket - 34th

Pork - 13th - appearance cost us a walk on this one

Ribs- 41st appearance not so bad on these- need to work on cooking

Chicken- 51st - Bad all the way around-

Thanks again!
Jason
Smoke Showing BBQ Team
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30 08 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that overall, The Food itself looks good.

But where is it?? I think it is too low in the box, Like it is hidden. There are tricks to getting your food to stand up in the box. Make sure that the food is the predominant thing featured in your box.

hope this helps. Good luck at your next one.

KCBS CBJ
www.galvinell.com
www.realdealbbq.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTvhyof8I&feature=related
Sa-Mokin
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30 08 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I am seeing in serveral of these "rate my" posts is that the brisket has cut with an electric knife. Does not make for a clean looking cut at all IMO. A good Granton edge slicing knife will make a much cleaner looking slice.
SIMPLE Q
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30 08 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if you place the meat in the box, then garnished around it. If that was the case you might want to build the garnish in your boxes 2-3 hours prior to the first turn in time. That way your entry doesn't have to sit in the elements and cool off/ dry out while your poking the greens around them. The ribs look good, but the box looks empty. the brisket and the pork needs more bark. I wont comment on the chicken because I cant figure out my own chicken Laughing

p.s. didn't you guys cook in birmingham??
sharky300

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30 08 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone so far for the comments- Keep 'em coming.

I am going to check in on the knife- I did not realize you could tell the difference...

Steve, we were in Birmingham. Congrats on the call!! I met Mike early in the day Friday and meant to come by and meet you but you know how it is... I am easily side tracked!!
Anyway, Stokin' is the only comp we have ever done. It was our 3rd year. I try to tell the guys (and myself) can't expect much only doing it once a year... Bt we sure have fun!!!!

Thanks again for all of the info!!
barnburner180
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30 08 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your chicken is buried in the box and then almost covered with greens. Make the chicken sit on top of the greens. The chicken should be the focal point in the box, not buried down like a turtle in the weeds.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the meat the attraction. The lettuce overwhelms almost everything, as they guys have said. FILL the boxes as much as possible.

Quote:
Pork - 13th - appearance cost us a walk on this one

Tell me your pork scores:

It would have to be a pretty close contest for that to happen, since appearance is the smallest number of points. But it does happen.

For me, the pork slices have to be PERFECT to score well. And they don't look like they're all facing the same direction. First one looks smaller than the rest. And there is extra sauce on the back slices. The depth of that ring looks a little too deep to me, that might throw off newbie judges (maybe not). If you put pulled in there too it would have helped, maybe some in front of the slices.

Ribs, look good, I would have put in two rows of Baby Backs.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the posts about the food looking hidden by the garnish, another thing not mentioned about the garnish is how neat or not it is.

Every time your garnish tries to escape the box on a side or edge, it degrades the look of the box as a whole.

Along with the comments on the pork, some bark would help out the box, if you're going to slice, then try and keep the slices an even thickness, not just on each slice but between slices too, there may be more sauce than I like to see in reality, but if that's the way you want to present it and it compliments the meat, then keep it going.

On the chicken you might want to trim the skin etc before you start to cook them and then try and pick the 6 closest in size to turn in. The more consistent you can have them, the better the box looks, the pale patch on the top row middle piece, (where the skin is missing), drags the look down some. IMO!

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: