FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Time Smoke Recommendation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burbs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 08 9:44 am    Post subject: First Time Smoke Recommendation Reply with quote

I should have my Pro Q Frontier by Thursday and ready to go for Friday and I'm thinking of going with chicken. I've got some wood chips ordered and on the way, and I'm not sure what I should do for a rub. I used my Weber Kettle last Sunday and cooked a turkey. I brined it and used cherry wood chips. My wife felt it was way too much and that I should pick either brining or wood chips. I would rather use wood chips, with a little rub instead.

This is where you guys/gals come in. What do you recommend for my first smoke? I want to keep it simple as I will be feeding friends, so I would prefer to be successful without going crazy.

My thinking is to do a BBQ chicken, with a nice BBQ sauce, which I would make from scratch using a recipe from this website. I usually basted the chicken while on the grill. Do I do this before I put it in the smoker or do I do it after I take it out?

I've got an internal magnetic thermometer, but it looks like people recommend a probe one, that I can connect using a probe. I see Weber has one through Sears. Can I run this while the food is smoking?

I'm sorry for being "that" guy, but there is so much to learn, and my mind is going a 100 MPH! Shocked

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks for all the help so far. Very Happy

-Chris

Weber Green One-Touch Gold
Pro Q Frontier Smoker
Burbs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 08 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one responded to my questions, which I don't blame you. It was like a police interrogation! Shocked

I've decided what I'm going to do for Friday night;

Pro Q Frontier Smoker

Two whole chickens, each cut in half
Apple wood chips

Spice Rub

1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp fennel seeds
3 tbsp Spanish smoked paprika
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dried sage
1 tbsp dried oregano
2.5 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper

BBQ Sauce

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup ketchup style chili sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup apple butter
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Hot red pepper sauce to taste

Weber Grill

3 racks of BB (around 5lbs)

Spice Rub

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
3/4 tablespoon garlic powder
3/4 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne

Roxy's Rib Glaze (to bring it all together at the end)

I'm going to have friends over to be my guinea pigs, so I want to really impress them.

One question I do have is, can I check in on the chicken every hour while it's smoking without disrupting anything? I'm just trying to figure out the proper way to check temps while smoking for my first time. I'm going to log everything for my records, which will help me learn how this thing works.

Thanks guys/gals,

Chris

Pro Q Frontier Smoker
tnbarbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 08 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all sounds good. The thing I like about the choices you've made is that chicken and ribs don't take all day to cook. I have pretty much gotten to the point of not doing butts because of the 10-12 hour cook time.

Remember, if you're lookin' it aint cookin'!! Shocked Go by tempurature. Chicken should be done around 180-185 degrees. Get a good temp guage with a remote probe so you don't have to open the cooker.

Ribs should not be falling off the bone, but almost. I usually smoke mine for about 3 hours, then wrap in foil and cook for another 1.5-2 hours. Sometime I will finish them over direct heat while brushing with sauce.

Hopefulle you will get some other input. I have a COS (cheap off-set) and this is what works for me. Keep cooking and have fun!! Very Happy
Brinkman Bullet

Last edited by tnbarbq on Thu Nov 06 08 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Burbs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 08 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnbarbq wrote:
That all sounds good. The thing I like about the choices you've made is that chicken and ribs don't take all day to cook. I have pretty much gotten to the point of not doing butts because of the 10-12 hour cook time.

I figure about 6 hours for the chicken and 3.5 for the ribs.

Pro Q Frontier Smoker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 08 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burbs, sorry for the late reply. Have you ever tried a can chicken or spatchcocked covered in bacon both are great smoked. Inject the can chicken with melted garlic butter and place on holder then stuff an onion in the craw to seal it off no sauce let the smoke speak for itself. spatchedcock bird seperate the breast skin from the breast whip up some powdered garlic and butter place between the skin and breast and lay bacon across the top. Your spice rub sounds great it will go great with Chicken. If you dont have one you should get an instant read themometer they are very handy I usually check my bird temp about an hour into the cook to see where I am at. Reading at the Thigh and breast will tell me about when I will be through. The last can chicken was the one I brined it was on for 41/2hrs. at around 225 on the WSM. Here is a pic.

And one Spatchcocked.
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 08 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do a pork butt, very forgiving and pulled pork is worth all the work and time.
Burbs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 08 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get a good temperature gauge? I'm hoping to pick one up tomorrow, so ordering one online would be out. Any national stores? Any specific brand?

Pro Q Frontier Smoker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 08 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burbs, try bed bath and beyond or wally world or maybe even a large grocer store mine is analog not digital and very accurate I check it before every cook. There pretty common.
Burbs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 08 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Burbs, try bed bath and beyond or wally world or maybe even a large grocer store mine is analog not digital and very accurate I check it before every cook. There pretty common.

During my research, it looks like it takes 30 minutes for the internal temperature of the smoker to get back up to it's recommended cook temp. That's why I'm thinking of a dual probe or two single probes so I can run the wire outside the smoker.

It's amazing how the little things add up! I'm going broke! Shocked

Pro Q Frontier Smoker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 08 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burbs, thats a good idea. I dont have a digital I am pretty used to what meats will be doing at certain temps so I can jump in there and be out pretty quick with the instant read I as of yet have not seen the cooker take more than 10min. to recover. And your right about the little things adding up its kinda like owning a boat. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: