FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

250 Gallon Propane Tank Question. Pic Included
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J0K3R-X
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24 08 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I was gonna say go rent a plasma cutter at HomeDepot but you already got it with a saw! Bet that was fun with a saw - Holy S!*T!
ThrillSeeker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24 08 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we started it w/ a saw and he finished it up w/ the cutting torch. It took him about a half hour to cut it w/ the torch.
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24 08 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, for what reason did you make it smaller?
ThrillSeeker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24 08 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_From_VA wrote:
Just curious, for what reason did you make it smaller?

The first reason was for looks. I checked out a bunch of designs, and the ones that I liked the most either had the rounded end opposite of the firebox, no rounded end at all. After carefully deliberating the comments from my esteemed colleagues at TheSmokering Cool I decided to leave one end rounded.

The second reason was because I was given a 4 x 8 trailer. Well...actually, its a trade....a trailer for a brisket. Cool I didn't want my firebox hanging too far off the back of the trailer. The tank is now 75 inches long and 30 inches in diameter, so I'm loooking at making a smoke box that is 2.5x2.5x2.5.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25 08 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrillSeeker, the hard part is over with now your ready to rock and roll. Very Happy I am looking forward to pics of your progress.
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25 08 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrillSeeker wrote:
Well...actually, its a trade....a trailer for a brisket

You need to introduce me to this guy. I can trade meat for all kinds of metal objects!!!
Okielawdog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 08 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking to see if you have any updates. I am in the process of cleaning a 3 by 10 propane tank now. All my friends keep telling me to make sure my insurance is paid in full and my will is updated before cutting the tank. Your pics of the cut tank continue to provide hope. Good luck with the build.
hvac81
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04 08 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait till the 4 th of July and when it goes flying you can say " I knew that would happen..."
Just kidding. The subject has been discussed many times and many tanks have been torched.. Just be safe Wink
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04 08 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys sure are paranoid about propane cylinders. Back when I was making forges out of 5 gallon non-OPD propane cylinders, I got real good at working with them.

1. empty out the propane, easiest way is to open the valve and let it sit for several weeks
2. plumb an air fitting to the valve opening and fill with compressed air, then empty
3. repeat the air flushing 2-3 times

that's IT. There isn't enough propane left in the tank to even combust with air.

Propane cylinders stink with ethyl mercaptan. The easiest way to get rid of most of the stink is to hit the stuff with a solution of household bleach in water. The bleach converts the mercaptan to something inert that doesn't stink. Much.

If I were the OP I'd have cut off some of the cylinder and made the firebox out of it.

Grant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: