FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

brine ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaceace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09 08 12:52 am    Post subject: brine ? Reply with quote

When making a brine for turkey or chicken do most of you make it cold or hot? I figure making it cold would be easier but is there any advantage to making it hot other than maybe easier to dilute the salt and seasonings? I figure you need to cool it down in the fridge anyhow so wouldn't be easiest to make it cold? I just want to make sure I am not missing anything important. Thanks.

(PS I have read most of the brining 101 and this was the only question I wasn't real sure about)
Dysartsmoker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09 08 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boil about half gallon of water mix spices in and then add to cold water no need to cool then.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09 08 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that for me it is simpler to boil 1/3 rd of the water, add the dry ingredients and stir till they are dissolved then add the 2/3 rd water cold and it is normally nearly ready to use, it might need to stand 45 minutes or so before it is cooled enough.

I still work here!
spaceace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09 08 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it doesn't make a big difference in the end product really?
I am also kind of worried about the turket tasting too salty. I know people say to do it up and then if it is too salty then decrease the amount of kosher salt in the brine or decrease the brine time the next time you smoke a turkey, but I don't want my first one to be way too salty (yet I still want it to have the benefit of a brine). I am sure it takes trial and error to get to a really good product, I just don't want my first one to be horribly salty/ruined.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09 08 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand now what you're asking, NEVER put food in a warm brine (anything over 40 degrees). Chill the brine first and keep it cold.

You'll have to determine if it's "salty". The brines listed below, I don't hear that they are salty. If you feel buying food and the food is "salty" tasting before you even add salt, then you just may be sensitive.

But you can't cut back too much or the brine just won't work (science of osmosis)

Some more info on brining can be found at my Brining 101 page:

Brining 101
Russ
spaceace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10 08 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, I wouldn't put food in the warm brine, I just wanted to know if making it by boiling it then cooling it down would work better than just making it cold to begin with and skipping the boiling part. I think I understand now that the best way is probably to boil it and get it into solution then chill it and let it rest overnight in the fridge before putting the bird in the brine.
spaceace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10 08 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like some salty foods I just didn't want it to overpower anything and be ruined. I think by using 3/4 to 1 cup kosher salt and doing it 1 hour per pound should be good. (I'll make sure my rub for smoking is minimal on the salt too.)
RKB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12 08 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any spices/herbs in the brine, boiling will bring out the flavors. Also, salt and sugar dissolve more readily in hot solutions.
txsarge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07 08 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceace wrote:
no, I wouldn't put food in the warm brine, I just wanted to know if making it by boiling it then cooling it down would work better than just making it cold to begin with and skipping the boiling part. I think I understand now that the best way is probably to boil it and get it into solution then chill it and let it rest overnight in the fridge before putting the bird in the brine.

I don't bother boiling my brine solution. I just use hot water for a third of the solution and add my dry spices and stir them up. (If I used fresh spices then I would probably boil the water to release the flavors and would let it cool or put ice in it.) I add the cold water to the warm water and put the meat in and immediately put it in the fridge
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09 08 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water doesn't have to boil for sugar and salt to dissolve. Just use good hot water, add your ingredients, and stir until dissolved. The warm water will also allow any herbs to steep (just like tea would).

Don't ever add raw meat to a warm brine. To cool it down add some ice! It's a brine...it's mostly water anyway...add some ice to bring down the temp along with cold water. Once at, or below 40 degrees you can then add your poultry.

Keep it cold. If brining in a small uninsulated container, be sure to store in the refrigerator. If brining in an insulated cooler, be sure to add ice to the chest...keep it below 40 degrees at all times.

Jay
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use cold water every time I brine and never have an issue dissolving the salt or sugar. You might have to stir a little longer, but it's still faster than boiling and cooling process. I add ice to my water as soon as the sugar and salt are dissolved and I'm in business.

If you want to intensify flavors without boiling water, try toasting any spices in a small pan and crushing any herbs before adding them to the water.

For whole chickens and turkeys I use 1/2 cup of salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar per gallon of water and brine anywhere from 12-24 hours. For small jobs like boneless chicken breast I use 1/4 cup each of brown sugar and kosher salt to 6 cups of water and I brine for 8 to 12 hours. I also like to add a little citrus flavor to my brine. I usually use oranges, but lemons and limes also do well.

This has always worked for me and never makes the meat to salty. Just make sure you rinse everything well when you take it out of the brine to remove excess salt on the surface of the meat.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make my brine at least a day in advance (I like to let the flavor combine well, at least that's the theory from those fancy food shows)

It depends on your ingredients and time. Some need heat to dissolve, some don't.

I make a 1/2 batch and and liquid after heating to make it a full batch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: