FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rub-a-Dub-Dub Round 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 08 9:50 pm    Post subject: Rub-a-Dub-Dub Round 2 Reply with quote

Ok, I reformulated my rub just a little bit and will hopefully be sending them out tomorrow. I wanted to get them out yesterday, but my dog had to have eye surgery.

The following people should be receiving rub here in the near future:
Sa-Mokin
SoEzzy
Alien BBQ
BZArcher
TomC
JamesB
DeadRinger1
Smokin On the Rio
Beertooth

And one other person that I am waiting to hear back from.

Please try it out and give me your opinions, as well as a rating from 1 to 10. I look forward to your comments.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team

Last edited by mds2 on Tue Aug 19 08 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
r6abusa
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 08 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ya have any left, send some this way:)
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 08 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r6abusa wrote:
If ya have any left, send some this way:)

If for some reason the person I am waiting to hear from doesnt want it, I will send it to you.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
r6abusa
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

If I do get some I ill def post pics with your rub on a Butt Smile
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already begging the postman to hurry his a$$ up...even though I know it's not in the post yet! Wink Laughing Wink

Thanks mds2!

I still work here!
Flatlander
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this thread. Am I the guy you are waiting for, I hope? I will put it to good use!

Thanks,
Steve
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlander wrote:
I just saw this thread. Am I the guy you are waiting for, I hope? I will put it to good use!

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry man, but it wasnt. r6abusa, you are in though.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
r6abusa
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I cant wait. This is the perfect excuse to cook a butt or some ribs on the WSM.
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21 08 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dropped everything off at the post office.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Tater_68
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21 08 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it Smile
r6abusa
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25 08 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my rub in the mail. I had you sent it to my work so I knew I would be here when the mail came. Its sealed very nicely, and contrary to what I read in most of the other posts from the first thread the rub has no clumps whatsoever.

I have been having a craving for some ribs and have not made any in a week si I think thats what Ill try next. Wish I could find the charger to my camera do I can take pics, Ill look for it again.

Thanks for including me mds2.
r6abusa
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27 08 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok had to try it out right away so I went to the market and got something that would cook in a couple hours (loin CS ribs). Upon opening the rub and tasting it it tasted very good almost with a littel kick. Here are some pics

The cs ribs

Rubbed and ready to cook

On the cooker after awhile (i ate one to see how they were going)

I eated another one

The final product

Overall I give the rub a 9. I cooked the ribs naked so I could better taste the rub here. It seemed the kick cooked out of the rub after I grilled them indirectly for a bit. I really wish I used the rub a little more heavily but it had a very nice taste that complimented the meat nicely. I have really only used stubbs and famous daves, (besided a few of my own) and this definitely beats them hands down. I usually alter the famous Daves as it seems too salty.

I also grilled a turkey burger for lunch on the little weber smokey joe and used pleny of rub on it. I eat these often for health reasons and usually use the stubbs, but now I cant tell if I should save the rest of the rub for some spares this weekend or just put it on my turkey burgers every time. Thanks again for the rub mds2, I really enjoyed it and wish it was availble to me as I would get a lot of use out of it. Definitely would like to try it on a butt but I couldnt wait tht long.

I gave the rub a 9 only because I thought the taste could be a little bolder if eating naked, but next time Ill try to get as much to stick to the meat as possible. And as far as tasting right from the bag without putting it on anything its the best I ever had (not that I have had many, but I really enjoyed this rub). I even put some on my sweet potatoes.
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27 08 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics! And thank you very much for the feedback, I'm glad you liked it!

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27 08 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be cooking up some spares, same as last time, with the rub this coming weekend. Really looking forward to it! Will post results and pics if possible.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27 08 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived either yesterday when I didn't check the mail or last night / this morning when I did. Hurrah! Laughing

I think I'm going to stop on the way home and grab some ribs or ribs and a butt. We ate the one I had in the fridge, so it's time to restock.

There was a little clumping in the well sealed bag, I took the picture after I'd de-clumped it, but it looked like it might be down to the dryness or not of the sugar as the clumps were mostly fine particles round a central grain.

I may try a sprinkle, (dry on the back of my tongue), if I get hungry before lunch! Wink

Thanks for the chance to try it mds2!

I still work here!
Sa-Mokin
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28 08 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived the other day, thanks Mike! I am going to test drive it this holiday weekend. Will let you know what I think.

Patrick
Smoke on the Horizon
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30 08 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I just finished cooking 3 racks of baby back ribs and I used your rub on two of them and one rack I used my rub.

I really like what you did to the rub it took out a lot of the hot taste out when I tasted it with my finger.

Rub has arrived

Ribs rubbed up and ready your is the two on the bottom.

Temps leveled out first gauge is at stack and second gauge is at firebox.

Ribs are on and now just let Lucille do her thing.....

I spritzed them with a little Apple Juice and cooked them with Apple wood mixed with Pecan. I thought it gave them a great taste and the color was fantastic. I had five of my buddies over for lunch and they ate all the ribs, corn on the cob, beans and abt's.

I moped the ribs with the AWARD WINNING SA-MOKIN sauce and then served one rib of yours and one of mine just to see which they liked best. 3 out of the 5 picked your rib and one liked them both and the other one liked mine best.

What changes you made to the rub really caught my taste and I really like it. I would rate this one a 9 for sure and hope you send me about a pound of it I certainly would pay you for the rub and the postage.

Did not get any finished pictures with all the guys here and wanting to eat so they could get back to work things got a little crazy. Take my word for it they were fantastic..... Smile

Thanks for including me in this test and if you want to try something else just send me a batch.

Don
Tater_68
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30 08 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the rub mds2 gonna give it a run on some ribs this weekend. I'll post pics and results.
Tater_68
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried mine on a couple racks of BB's, naked with only the rub. Just as a footnote I had no clumping with mine at all. Pics are coming as soon as I can get my computer to quit acting up, the taste test photos are funny.

I tried the rub out of the package and liked the balance of flavor little heat and a nice balance of overall flavor. Ribs came out with great color and at least for me just the right amount of heat on the backside.

I tried them head to head with a rub I have been using and did a blind test with my wife and kids, here are the results. I served them with no sauce.

Wife- Yours won out
Oldest son- Yours again
Youngest son- liked both and just kept on eating Smile

As for me it was hands down yours and I would pay for a larger package, as I would like to try it on some chicken and a butt. I give it a 10 thanks for the chance to be a part of the test, Great Job.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to try rub #2. I used it on spares again. No clumping issues as before. I liked the fact that this rub was more granular as opposed to the other being very powdery. The taste test off the finger was very good. A good bit sweeter to me that #1. Nice balance of heat/spice/sweet.

It was getting windy here today so the temps on the UDS got away from me a couple of times, but not too bad. The ribs came out darker than I prefer (my fault), but the taste and texture was there.

This was a small rack of pork spares. It came out of the cryo at 3.5lbs before I trimmed to St. Louis style, Cooked at temps that ranged from 235 - 275 for right at 3 hours. Used OCC Rancher with hickory chunks.

I like this version of the rub! Here are a few pics.

Trimmed up and then rubbed up.

On the drum (top/right rack is rub#2), Then off, pretty dark, again my fault.

A couple of pics, sliced.

Thanks again for allowing me to participate!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: