FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home heating oil barrell
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dace
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06 08 11:53 pm    Post subject: Home heating oil barrell Reply with quote

Just picked one up for free. Since I'm basicly a rookie to building a pit I have a few questions. Is there a benefit to building the oil tank verticle or horizontal? I was thinking I'd build it verticle, so I could add a couple shelves above the main grate for butts, ribs or chicken while roasting a pig. On a tank that size what would the maximum size intake vents be and the exhaust stack diameter? I'll probably have a few more questions when I start laying it. I have access to an old stick welder that I believe Noah used when building the ark but it still lays a nice bead for me. I used to build truck bodies so welding and fabing are no issue for me.
Thanks for all the info I've already learned and any info I hope to learn. And I want to give a big shout out to any of my brother masons who may be on here.

Dace
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 08 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at this site?

http://home.nik-martin.com/smoker/Default.aspx

It helps you calculate the exhaust stacks and firebox opening.
Dace
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 08 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff...er, ah Bob? Laughing
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 08 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

What are you going to use for a firebox on that thing?
Dace
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 08 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't planned on a fire box, just build the fire in the bottom I guess. Would a fire box be better? Could it produce enough heat to roast a pig?
fastcat
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09 08 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if that thing has had oil in it before you might want to rethink your build. it is hazardous to cook on them cause oil impregnates the steel and contaminates the food. bbq man can explain it better.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09 08 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider an outside firebox, and doing the cooker horizontally for more lateral room. Take a look at www.diamondplatepits.com to see what I mean for orientation.

Of course the DPP cookers are 3/16ths cold rolled steel, not a thin flimsy fuel oil tank.

One other reason to do an external firebox on that tank cooker, that thin steel will burn through in one season unless it is reinforced or replaced with thicker steel in that area.

A guy could most likely burn out any residue left in that tank, but the heat needed would warp it to ungodly proportions in the process.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09 08 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are better going with new metal, or something that is food safe Dace.

I know it was a "free" find, but used oil barrels are not a real good choice for a cooker build for multiple reasons, some of which Harry also mentioned.

As a pig cooker, indirect heat is also best.

A single cooker/firebox arrangement can be made to work effectively for most cooks (bank the fire to one end of the cooker) but will literally leave you in flames cooking whole hog.

I use drip pans under my hog cooks, but a large amount of fat drippings still find their way into the bottom of my cooker.

Add fire to the equasion and both your pig and your cooker are finished. Once burning, it can and will burn till there is nothing left (including your house if it is parked anywhere near it).

If you are interested in whole hog, it's best to start with a propane tank (or two- one for the firebox) that has been safely purged and cleaned.

Your effort's will be rewarded with a great cooker that will last a good long time.

As a fellow fab guy (not a Mason, but I did build all kinds of machinery) it sounds like you have the skills to get-r-done!

Good luck with your build!
Dace
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11 08 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everyones advice that I have recieved here (especially yours BBQman) but I think I will continue with my original plans on using the tank. The combination of several steam cleanings, sand blasting, MEK and an application of spray on ceramic (automotive performance engine build) may ensure a safe cooking chamber. Of course the ceramic coating would be water base, not solvent. Several sandblastings alone will bring the steel down to almost virgin quality. The ceramic coating is just an insurance policy. These materials and services will cost me very little as I have been in the trades for over 30 years...I know people. Wink
I expect some feedback and gladly welcome it. Very Happy
Cast&Que

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12 08 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built 2 smokers this winter out of fuel oil tanks.

Each tank had some oil in them so I drained the oil, then cut my doors, then washed them out with a degreeser several times, then built really big fires in them twice. No remains of the oil was left after the washing, and the fires we just to make sure, plus it removed what little paint was still on the outside of the tanks.
here is my smoker:
Washed out

burning it out.

Ready to go
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12 08 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen dozens of smokers and also grills made from heating oil tanks. I know a guy who has a grill on a trailer made from one that we use for tailgating.
Dace
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12 08 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess its a matter of preferance. Sure I woud love a new tank but my wife says this project is not in our budget so I'm building it by scrounging all the parts.

Jeff, nice rig, what did you use for a firebox and what are the dimensions?
Dace
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 08 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a 20lb propane tank, the thick rolled steel kind. I can have it but I'm wondering if it may be to small as a fire box for the oil barrell I'm using. Is it?
Cast&Que

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 08 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fire box is a 24" long piece of 24" Diameter pipe.

I think a 20 lb propane tank would be to small.
Dace
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 08 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Plus it isn't really thick enough. The search continues.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 08 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your in the automotive field, Just have that tank acid-dipped to remove everything.

So are you using "Jet Hot" coating for the ceramic??

I wonder if that product would be feasible to coat a DPP firebox at can take 1,200 degree exhaust heat and not have any problems, And it adds a bit of insulation quality to the steel.
Dace
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 08 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother works for Cummins, he's going to bring it in and have it dipped for me. The ceramic I was thinkng about is for the internal engine block. Its used to seal the block valley (for quick oil return) intake runners and exhaust and intake ports. I'm actually still checking into that to see what it can handle for heat. I'll post my findings.
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 08 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dace wrote:

Jeff, nice rig, what did you use for a firebox and what are the dimensions?

I think you may have been asking the poster above me, those pics were theirs not mine. If you were asking about my friends grill, it's just a gas grill, not a barbecue pit. No firebox at all.
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 08 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
if your in the automotive field, Just have that tank acid-dipped to remove everything.

So are you using "Jet Hot" coating for the ceramic??

I wonder if that product would be feasible to coat a DPP firebox at can take 1,200 degree exhaust heat and not have any problems, And it adds a bit of insulation quality to the steel.

I had never heard of jet-hot before so I went to their site. They have jet-hot 2000 which is good to 2400 degrees.

Is this a product a customer applies or is this something you have to have professionally put on something?
VaGriller

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 08 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_From_VA wrote:

I had never heard of jet-hot before so I went to their site. They have jet-hot 2000 which is good to 2400 degrees.

Is this a product a customer applies or is this something you have to have professionally put on something?

Jet Hot coated a lot of headers for me. It is applied professionally by them.

Lots of powder coating places have a high heat powder coat that should work great without the expense of Jet Hot.

Last edited by VaGriller on Sat Aug 16 08 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: