FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

opening stacks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petunia
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16 08 9:57 pm    Post subject: opening stacks Reply with quote

Another in a seemingly endless line of potentially dumb questions:

I have an offset stickburner (Klose Grill Chef) which is set up to be a smoker or a very large charcoal grill. There are two smokestacks, and up to now I usually only open the left one (firebox is on the right side).

My questions are all regarding smoking not using this as a grill: The only time I open the right stack is in the beginning of a fire, but it's closed whenever meat is on. I do this out of habit, I guess, as my first offset cooker (cheap, thin-metal New Braunfels from The Depot) only had one stack, on the left. The way I understand it air comes in the firebox, goes over the coals and up into the main chamber and does a clockwise swirl before eventually going up the left-side stack.

As I was watching the fire this morning I started to wonder...

Does having both open affect the flavor of the meat? I assume it would mean a heavier amount of fuel burned, but how about the quality of the smoke?

Also there is a damper on the left side (on the door that opens so you can remove the grease pan) that I open only rarely - for a flare up or heavy smoke - and it's only for a few minutes.

What might I be doing incorrectly, Gents & Ladies?

Happy Smoking!

Petunia
tnbarbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16 08 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not cook with both stacks open. You will loose a lot of heat and go through more fuel. I suggest closing the stack closest to you fire. That should force the heat and smoke to circulate more evenly in the cooker and have more even temps.
Brinkman Bullet
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16 08 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I do with mine. Makes a HUGE difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: