FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New smoker build thoughts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeavyD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16 08 10:48 am    Post subject: New smoker build thoughts? Reply with quote

I have a old propane tank that I have been contemplating building a reverse flow smoker. Its approx. 10' Long and about 36" in Diameter. I have been reading the smoke ring for a while now and have the bug to build my own. I am planning of putting the fire box on the end. What size fire box would a smoker this size need? Would 24"x24"x24" be big enough??? I see were everyone uses this size alot but the smoker dont seem to be as big as the tank I have. What kind of pipe do you smokers use for the exhaust pipe? How high above the smoker does it need to stick up? I know it has reach down to the cooking surface inside to retain heat. Keep up the good work guys, all your smokers look great. I will post pics of mine when I get going.
txfireguy2003
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16 08 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10'X36", that's a biggun man! Others may disagree, but I have heard, on the Smokering of all places, that the firebox should be about 1/3 the volume of the cooking chamber. That would mean that your firebox should be about 36X36X36 or so, or another option would be to cut about 2 1/2 feet off the end of the tank, making your cooking chamber 7.5' long and use the cutoff as your firebox. I'm not real fond of that option though, purely preference though, I don't care much for round fireboxes, but lots of people do great things with them.
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16 08 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site is down now when I am posting it, but it should be back up soon I would think. It will help with smokestacks etc.

http://home.nik-martin.com/smoker/Default.aspx

Also, there is another build your size somewhere on here, not sure what size firebox they used.
HeavyD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 08 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea its a big one, got her for the right price though Very Happy . Hope somebody else chimes in on there opinion. I didnt think that 24x24x24 would be big enough. 36x36x36 is a monster in itself.
davidk4x4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 08 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeavyD,

I just started a smoker build 36x73 and I am setting the width of the fire boxes by the width of the smoker 8.5 inches up (that should give me the area needed based on Alien's pit ratios) the height well be set by the pit once installed on the trailer (I want to be able to stand on the ground) and the depth is adjustable. For me it was easy to get to 33% of the cooking chamber with 30x25x24 so now it just to make it fit correctly.

Good luck with the build

David
HeavyD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 08 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

Thats a tad shorter than the one I'm contemplating. But the 36" wide sounds like a good idea, just have to figure out the length and height now. Took a look at your smoker start, lookin good Very Happy , what size pipe are you using for the smoke stacks on yours?

HeavyD
davidk4x4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 08 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeavyD

I had a 4 inch piece of Schedule 40 pipe, 4.5 inch OD. Using Aliens pit Ratio it calculates total volume need for the stack(s) which would make it 6 foot long thus the reason for two stacks (and I like how two looks vrs one). If you have not read about Alien's Pit Ratio's here is the link

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5350&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
HeavyD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad My math is not that great, so the air in must equal the air out? Then you would have to know what size fire box your going to use before you figure out the smoke stack size and length? Guess I have to recuit my brother for that one. I figure I should at least go 36" wide by maybe 30" deep and 30" high for the 36"x10' long smoker unit? Does this sound like I'm in the ballpark?
davidk4x4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing the tank shape (mainly the curved ends) I would estimate

Smoker volume = 105,000 cubic in

using the 33% rule for fire box size 34,650 cubic in
36x30x30 = 32,400 cubic in works

Stack size = Length
4 in = 129 in
5 in = 82.5 in
6 in = 57.32 in
7 in = 42.12 in
8 in = 32.25 in

uising 3/4 the length of smoker for stack length = 108 in

You well have to pick stack size, note multiple stacks length can be added togeather for total length.
HeavyD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10 08 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dilema, Is it possible to put your firebox to far into the cooking chamber? " I am using a 500 gal. propane tank with the rounded ends. I was thinking of running it in to the seam ( were the rounded ends start from) which is about 18" in from the end, but will this alter the cooking chamber with radiant heat with the fire box that far into the cooking chamber? Shocked
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10 08 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeavyD, you can take a look at unclebeefs build his firebox is under cut the way you are describing not sure if he went 18''. I don't think going to the weldment on a 500 gal. tank is to far on a reverse flow as the opening is covered with your reverse flow plate. Why are you going so far in if you don't mind me asking?
HeavyD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10 08 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just trying to figure out how to shorten the unit some, as the tank itself is 10' long, then if I use a 36x30x30 fire box with the 36" adding to the length, now I'm looking at close to 13'. Thats why I was wondering if pushing the fire box that far inside the cooking chamber, would it effect the heat at that end just from the radiant heat from the fire box itself. Thanks for your input.

Heavy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10 08 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeavyD, I could be wrong but I think the difference across the board wouldn't be that bad.
82's BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10 08 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but if you were trying to shorten the length why not put the firebox on the backside of the smoker? It would in essence make it wider but it would maintain the 10' length.
Brinkmann SNP
Bubba 250 RF 5x10 trailer w/ rib box
UDS
Engelbrecht Braten
"82's BBQ Crew"
Liar #82
www.82sbbq.com
HeavyD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10 08 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought about that 82 BBQ, but that wouldnt allow me to do the reverse flow system that I want to go with. I have seen numerous like that in operation, but still want to stick with the reverse flow system. Thanks for your input and thoughts.

Heavy
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10 08 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do a 50/50 reverse flow, if you put you firebox in the middle on the backside, have the inlet enter the cook chamber in the middle and put your heat deflector plate in the bottom where the heat/smoke goes to each end of the cooker and back to the middle where you smoke stack or stacks are, you can even run the pipe down into the cooker to grate level and hide the pipe between the two doors. just some thoughts for yah. Smile
HeavyD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought of that way H.B.Smoker, in all reality sounds like it would work. I have never seen or heard of that done before, but I guess anything is possible.
Haaseman
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Idea hillbilly, I wonder if you will always have one side that is going to pull more. The heat is going to want to go the way of lease resistance. Less meat on one side the way the wind blows who knows. so you would need a way to tune the flow of the draft.

Mark
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your only cooking on one side you can install dampers on top of your stacks and just shut the side off you not using, i have a picture of this style of smoker except the firebox is on the bottom and not the back, its one we use at work for our christmas party

Youll notice in this picture where the builder put an adjustable door on the end to either close it completely off or have it open at certing settings by the chain to tune it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: