FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scored my tank (Now w/bling!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04 08 5:09 am    Post subject: Scored my tank (Now w/bling!) Reply with quote

I didn't think the guy would call back but he finally did and I went and picked up what I think is a 250 gallon (?) propane tank. It is 24 inch in diameter and a couple inches over 5 feet long. Got it on the pickup and it has a new home.

Now, what is the best process for not blowing my head off? I hear fill will water and bleach for two weeks. I here some folks say fill it with water and cut. I will start by getting some of opening fittings remover so I can put something in it. Any help in this area will be appreciated.

Also now that I have the tank I was looking for I am looking for good links for a tank this size. I might even consider propane fired as to burning all that charcoal all the time.

My build in the past have been from 55 gallon drums.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by purplewg on Mon Nov 10 08 10:50 pm; edited 7 times in total
Rub the Butt BBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04 08 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take off/out all fittings. the more air holes/vents the better. I filled mine up with water and a gallon of degreaser and let it set for a week plus. I cut out the opening for the firebox first while filled with water. I used a battery operated sawzall with metal blades. once it was opened up, i took the torches to it. While torching i had a hose nozzle on fan/mist going inside the tank to help extinguish the crumbs and keep any residual gas down. No problems! just stay well ventilated, wet, and no fire till its opened up. Thats my experience, hope it helps.

Stumps GF 223
Custom Built Offset Stick Burner
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04 08 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will certainly take my time and follow the advice of those that have been there done that.
Hoosier Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04 08 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your tank is under 150 gallon. Just to give you an idea, one size of a 150 gallon tank is 24" dia x 7' long. Just a comparison for you
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04 08 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. Don't they measure these things in pounds as opposed to gallons? I saw a 100 lbs tank at Northern Tool and it is pretty small. I think I remember seeing a tag that said 250 pounds. How do we convert pound tanks to gallons? Anyone know?
mpwildy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04 08 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 80 gal I am working on. it is 24" diameter and a little over 4' long. 100 gal sounds about right. I had mine cut by a local welder, he did a little better job than i could have done. I let mine sit for a couple of weeks full of water, a week empty and then another week fullo of water. I cut some stuff off the sides and accidentally got into it a litte bit, but nothing happened and it had nothing in it. Then when HE cut it, he put a hose from his truck exhaust into the tank to fill it with carbon monoxide. the absence of oxygen eliminates any type of reaction (BIG BOOM). he says he has seen tanks sit for many years full of water, cut into them and the oxygen in the water reacts. ANY WAYS, mine is still under construction, but has been seasoned. as soon as I catch boston butts on sale for $.99 a pound at the local grocery I can tell you how it cooks.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05 08 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwildy wrote:
I have an 80 gal I am working on. it is 24" diameter and a little over 4' long. 100 gal sounds about right. I had mine cut by a local welder, he did a little better job than i could have done. I let mine sit for a couple of weeks full of water, a week empty and then another week fullo of water. I cut some stuff off the sides and accidentally got into it a litte bit, but nothing happened and it had nothing in it. Then when HE cut it, he put a hose from his truck exhaust into the tank to fill it with carbon monoxide. the absence of oxygen eliminates any type of reaction (BIG BOOM). he says he has seen tanks sit for many years full of water, cut into them and the oxygen in the water reacts. ANY WAYS, mine is still under construction, but has been seasoned. as soon as I catch boston butts on sale for $.99 a pound at the local grocery I can tell you how it cooks.

Got any pictures? Mine is 24 X 66. How big is your firebox going to be?
mpwildy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05 08 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't figured out how to post pictures on here yet, but I do have some. send me your email address and I will send you what I have. if you can figure out how to post them be my guest.
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05 08 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a 120 gallon tank Purplewg, i have the same tank.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05 08 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HillbillySmoker wrote:
Thats a 120 gallon tank Purplewg, i have the same tank.

Great! Thanks, now I know when someone asks. Now I just have to start surfing for ideas on how I want it to end up.

I am still considering a propane/charcoal version. A firebox that I can either fire by propane or wood/charcoal.
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05 08 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplewg wrote:
HillbillySmoker wrote:
That's a 120 gallon tank Purplewg, i have the same tank.

Great! Thanks, now I know when someone asks. Now I just have to start surfing for ideas on how I want it to end up.

I am still considering a propane/charcoal version. A firebox that I can either fire by propane or wood/charcoal.

Take your time and plan it out. i would put the propane burners in the cooking chamber not the firebox, would use less propane that way.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06 08 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HillbillySmoker wrote:

Take your time and plan it out. i would put the propane burners in the cooking chamber not the firebox, would use less propane that way.

Yeah, I have time. The tank is still "leaking" out what ever is left in it. Gauge shows 0 but it is still oozing Smile

Actually I was thinking about removable burners so I could pile the charcoal in if I wanted to. Does that make any sense?

I am also considering a horizontal firebox with the hopes of better heat distribution across the cook tank. The offset firebox works ok on my UDS but just thinking, I think a horizontal firebox with a good plenum between them would work better. The problem I see with the horizontal is stoking it might be a little more of a chore if I had to reload. I plan to mount it on a single axle trailer.

I still need to do a lot of investigation and looking at different designs.
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06 08 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, planning it out was just as fun as building it, i went out of the norm in my build, when i get the upright added it will basically be an offset with a built in grill/oven. have fun with your build.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 08 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HillbillySmoker wrote:
Yeah, planning it out was just as fun as building it, i went out of the norm in my build, when i get the upright added it will basically be an offset with a built in grill/oven. have fun with your build.

I just saw your link to your build and yes we have the same tank. Even started as the same color. You did a great job. If mine turns out half as good I will be happy.

I have my tank sitting full of water now and will cut it this weekend. I am still undecided as to go with the horizontal firebox or an offset. Depends on if I can find a round smaller tank for the horizontal. I even thought about having both. The offset would be fired by charcoal/wood and possibly the round horizontal firebox would be propane fired with a wood tray over it. I don't plan to have a grill area.

I am shopping around now for a used utility trailer. I have a new axle in my shed but I still think it is easier and faster to get one and modify it if I can get it cheap enough. I built a hay fork for my tractor and just the 3 inch 1/4 square tubing was $242. Price of steel is out of site and I don't have a source for scrap or discounted steel.

Again great job!
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 08 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned it can be dangerous to put your gas assist in the cooking chamber: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11944&highlight=gas+assist

It sounds like a good build. Can't wait for the pics.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 08 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcustomsteel wrote:
I learned it can be dangerous to put your gas assist in the cooking chamber: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11944&highlight=gas+assist

It sounds like a good build. Can't wait for the pics.

Thanks for the info. I plan to put an external round firebox outside the cooktank with the propane in it. It would run parallel to the cooktank and the offset would be on the end. I will try to draw up some plans and I will post pictures as I get started. Still waiting to get the nerve to cut the tank open.
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 08 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think hes gonna be using both at the same time, i think he wants the option to use one or the other, so if you put some burners in your cook chamber, just disconnect the propane tank for safety if you decide to use the firebox for your heat source. As for cutting the tank open if you plan to do it yourself empty it the day your going to do it, put in a full bottle of dish washing liquid, fill it back up with water and go for it. another method is to purge the tank with nitrogen if you have the luxory, or you can do what some do and thats to find a big hose, attach it to your exhaust pipe on your vehicle and fill the tank with the exhaust which will push out any oxygen, the biggest danger to cutting open an old propane tank is leftover residual liquid propane, this is what ignites and with oxygen in the tank to fuel the fire this is where you get your explosion. id just like to say im no expert and am in no way responsible for anything you may choose to do Smile . good luck. and ty for the good words on my project, i hope to have it complete by this fall.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 08 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF I go with the two sources for cooking I plan to put the propane in and external box as I would think they would get quite messy if located inside the cookbox with drippings and such. I would still smoke with propane, just have a wood tray over the propane heat source. I don't plan to cook over direct heat/flame at all.

Then again I get to thinking it might be nice to propane grill on one end for kids that want a hot dog or burger. Then again I could just throw the kids in. Laughing Just kidding of course.

Dang HillBilly, wish I had a plasma cutter. Very Happy
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 08 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan. Yeah, like Hillbilly says, make your first cut with the water still in the tank. This will not put out an oxy/acet torch but will probably electrocute you if you do it with a plasma cutter.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 08 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcustomsteel wrote:
Sounds like a good plan. Yeah, like Hillbilly says, make your first cut with the water still in the tank. This will not put out an oxy/acet torch but will probably electrocute you if you do it with a plasma cutter.

Ok, I Need to flip the tank upside down to cut the legs off. That will put all the fittings on the bottom and my water will run out. Very Happy

I guess I could at least make a horizonal door cut before flipping it over and if it don't kill me I can drain it and the flip it and finish cutting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: