FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who would like to try my rub?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10 08 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a "cook diary" of the messages I sent today - they're a little different experience than James. I didn't post these while cooking because I didn't want to influence anyone else's mind, but since we're putting it out here, too, what the hell. Very Happy

When I snipped the foodsaver bag open, the first thing I immediately thought of was opening up a stick of pepperoni. Very similar smell and color.

My helper and I did a little taste test, and we both liked the sweetness and the almost tomatoe-y taste in it - how much sugar is in there? Seems like a bit more than I usually use, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

One thing I did also see is that after I tried taking it out of the vacuum bag, it stayed as one solid stick and didn't really want to crumble down after I put it into a spice container, so I ended up breaking the "stick" into some chunks and hitting it in my spice grinder to make it workable again. Dunno if anyone else mentioned it, but thought I'd pass that along.

I do like the smell and taste quite a bit so far.

The spiciness did fade off on the fattie, but I also noticed that it burned pretty badly too - some of that was the hotspot but I think the sugar contributed to that, too.

Here's the thoughts of my friends after the ribs, and then I'll chime in.

Dave: "I really liked the taste - a little sweet, kinda spicy. What I feel like Ribs are supposed to taste like. I like the bark on it."

Wyatt: "It's a bit sweet, and it seems a little simple, but I don't think that's bad at all. I can taste the carmelized sugar in there."

Alex: "I really only taste sugar, paprika, and cayenne pepper. I don't know if there's more in there or not - if there are, I feel like it got lost under those three. I was thinking it would be more like a competition style rub with lots of layers of flavor, and I didn't really get that."

I thought this was a really good, really useful rub - like you saw, I put it in a lot of stuff that all came out well. I think with the ribs, it seems like a rub to use so you're not going to want to add any sauce to the rib. It tastes great without needing any sauce on there, and pretty much stands up great. If I was going to sauce the ribs, I might want a more complex rub like Alex talked about to come through under the sauce, but in a "dry" rib this worked really well. (I'm not a competition guy, so I don't know what really is a competition flavor or not - just trying to pass along what they said as they said it.)

I do agree with James that if I had some more of this, I wouldn't mind trying it on a steak or a chicken, but between the ribs, the fattie, and adding the bit that was left into a chip dip (which was really good in there!), I tapped my supply out. Very Happy

I'm not sure why mine seemed to be a lot sweeter than James's sample? Perhaps the fact that I foiled the ribs brought that out more. I used an apple juice / cider vinegar spritz on the ribs as well, about once an hour except while the ribs were in the foil, and a little extra a half hour before I took them off the cooker, but the rack I made with my "usual" rub didn't have the same levels of sweetness to me or my tasters, so I'm pretty sure it was due to the rub.

Hope this helps for what you were looking for!
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10 08 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sweetness difference is very interesting to be sure. As mentioned, I detected very little... Did you notice the chili powder? That was what I noticed most with the 'raw' taste off the finger test... Very interesting.
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10 08 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very intersting way to have people try your rubs.

Its interesting to read all the comments, a VERY good thread.
Smoke on the Horizon
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10 08 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that you sent me a sample of your rub and I used it today on a pork butt.

When I opened the package the rub was in a solid brick from the vacuum packaging. I broke it up into a powder form to use on the butt. My first impression as a smell of chili powder or paparika maybe both and tasting it with my finger it seemed a little hot for me.

Putting on a mustard slather and applying the rub on the butt I let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes it turned a bright red.

I think it works well with pork butts and the bark was really dark and the flavor after cooking seemed to take most of the hot taste out of it. I persoanlly would have liked a little more sweetness in the flavor.

I cooked the butt with pecan wood.

Thanks for letting me try your rub.
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10 08 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your rub, just read the comments about caking, and wanted to give you one of many companies that provide products to prevent caking, would suggest you start with a starch base.

http://www.foodadditivesworld.com/anticaking-agents.html

You'll now begin to see why that long list of uncommon ingredients is added to the product, they really do in most cases improve the product.

Hope it helps!
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10 08 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesB wrote:
The sweetness difference is very interesting to be sure. As mentioned, I detected very little... Did you notice the chili powder? That was what I noticed most with the 'raw' taste off the finger test... Very interesting.

I really noticed the sugar and cayenne first, and almost a tomato-ey aftertaste. I actually asked MDS if there was any dried or powdered tomato in there and was surprised to learn there wasn't. Same with the friend who helped me with the rib and ABT prep when I had him try it raw. He got the same taste from the raw rub.

I'm wondering perhaps if the fact that I re-ground the rub, rather than just working on de-caking it by breaking or crumbling it might be why the sugar came out more?

I did see the bright red color when I let the rub set in, too - you can see it really clearly in some of my pictures of my cook from when I was rubbing or fridging the ribs.

If one of you guys have a little left and wouldn't mind experimenting, maybe grind it up and see if the sweetness comes out more?
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11 08 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the comments that have used it so far.

BZ told me about the caking when he first got it, which was kind of a surprise to me. I actually run this rub through the food processor to break it up and make in a fine powder so it doesnt clump, looks like the vacuum process completely shot that to s--t. Smile I think if I do it again I will use the food saver to seal the bags, but I wont vacuum them.

I agree with everyone here about it needing to be sweeter, and I really wanted to get opinions about that. When I use this rub on ribs I always pair it with a sweeter sauce to get the flavors that I like.

On a scale of 1 to 10 what would you guys rate this? 10 being the highest.

Oh, BZ, my wife wants your dip recipe.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11 08 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodinBangkok wrote:
Good luck with your rub, just read the comments about caking, and wanted to give you one of many companies that provide products to prevent caking, would suggest you start with a starch base.

http://www.foodadditivesworld.com/anticaking-agents.html

You'll now begin to see why that long list of uncommon ingredients is added to the product, they really do in most cases improve the product.

Hope it helps!

Thanks!

Have you ever used any of these ingredients? Is one better than another? Do any of them add any unwanted flavors?

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11 08 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mds2 wrote:
On a scale of 1 to 10 what would you guys rate this? 10 being the highest.

I'd give it a solid 7. A bit sweet and it could easily be closer to a 9.

I still want to try it, as is, on beef. I think it would do really well there...
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11 08 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd easily give it a 7 or 8.

The dip recipie:

16 oz. package of sour cream
4 thinly sliced scallions
1 tblsp. of minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tblsp. of the rub
1/2 tsp. of lime juice
About 4 oz. of your usual abt filling, softened. (I think - that wasn't an exact science since I just used what I had left over)

Get a little bit of veg. oil in a pan to medium heat and do a quick sautee of the garlic and scallions. (We just used the green parts - none of the root end)

Mix the garlic, scallions, leftover abt filling, rub, and sour cream in a bowl, then add the lime juice, and finish with a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
Smoke on the Horizon
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11 08 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give it a solid 8

Maybe I should have tried it with some sweet sauce to see if it compliments it but I wanted to just taste the bark and flavor of the rub.

Mike,

Check your PM
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11 08 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the ribs off at about 7 - 7:30pm pst. I had a friend and his kids over. As well as me and my son grubbing on them.

Over all we gave the rub an 8 out of 10. Very good stuff!

I will admit that I used it VERY liberally! I used almost the whole portion on a single slab that I trimmed to St. Louis Style. It made for a nice bark!

I loved the way it started a little sweet, then a burst of spice. I like a little after burn. I found that using it liberally the heat comes through.

My son said he liked it better than my usual rub. Shocked He said yours has more flavor! He was grabbing for yours over mine. I agree with him though, it has a nice kick to it. And I like that.

Personally I like when something starts out sweet and then kicks a little spice in your face.

I smoked with a Chargriller w/sfb and mods using the 3-2-1 method with an apple/cherry mix for smoke. No BBQ sauce was used to get the full flavor of the rub.

Maybe a hint more sweet, but be careful.

Thanks for letting me in on the taste test!
18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11 08 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so busy posting my cook thread today in the general BBQ discussion forum, I didn't look here until now Laughing

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19773

I'd give it a 7 out of 10, but realize I've been cooking my ribs rubless until recently. I got very little of the sweet left after cooking, but enough to detect it. More of the chili pepper spice, and salt, remained than anything else at the end.

I would reduce the salt (but I add very little salt to my food, far less than the average person). I see no one else thought that, so it's just me! Laughing

The rub was a brick in the vacuum sealed packet, but I broke it into chunks then ground back to powder using my mortar and pestle, then put it in an old empty clean bottle for storage and use.

I'll try some leftover ribs tomorrow with my homemade Three pepper BBQ sauce, and see how well that complements the ribs vs. the raspberry chipotle and apple chipotle sauces I tried tonight.
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12 08 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i enjoyed it..something different than mine

the common comment from my customers that tried it was that it was not sweet enough(imagine that in MN).

i have no idea what is different from your to mine - i put the same ammount of rub on each of the ribs and it was as if most of the taste 'cooked out' . does that make sense? similar to the way mustard goes away when it is applied and cooked...

i liked it.

my own tastes would call for more heat, but i fight that battle every day!

thanks again...do you want me to send you some of mine to try??

tony
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12 08 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beertooth wrote:
I pulled the ribs off at about 7 - 7:30pm pst. I had a friend and his kids over. As well as me and my son grubbing on them.

Over all we gave the rub an 8 out of 10. Very good stuff!

I will admit that I used it VERY liberally! I used almost the whole portion on a single slab that I trimmed to St. Louis Style. It made for a nice bark!

I loved the way it started a little sweet, then a burst of spice. I like a little after burn. I found that using it liberally the heat comes through.

My son said he liked it better than my usual rub. Shocked He said yours has more flavor! He was grabbing for yours over mine. I agree with him though, it has a nice kick to it. And I like that.

Personally I like when something starts out sweet and then kicks a little spice in your face.

I smoked with a Chargriller w/sfb and mods using the 3-2-1 method with an apple/cherry mix for smoke. No BBQ sauce was used to get the full flavor of the rub.

Maybe a hint more sweet, but be careful.

Thanks for letting me in on the taste test!

Wow, I would say that is liberal use of it. That would probably be enough for 3 or 4 racks or ribs for me. I'm glad your son enjoyed it.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12 08 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyg wrote:
i enjoyed it..something different than mine

the common comment from my customers that tried it was that it was not sweet enough(imagine that in MN).

i have no idea what is different from your to mine - i put the same ammount of rub on each of the ribs and it was as if most of the taste 'cooked out' . does that make sense? similar to the way mustard goes away when it is applied and cooked...

i liked it.

my own tastes would call for more heat, but i fight that battle every day!

thanks again...do you want me to send you some of mine to try??

tony

Tony, go ahead and send me some. I dont know when i will get a chance to use it, but I will the next time I fire up the smoker.

From 1 to 10 what would you rate it?

I think the overall theme is that it needs to be sweeter, and I knew that going into this. I am going to sweeten it up a little bit, but i dont think I am going to change the spiciness.

So far I think about half or a little more than half of the people I sent it to have used it. And it doesnt sound like anyone has downright hated it yet, which is a good thing.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12 08 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

necron 99 wrote:
I was so busy posting my cook thread today in the general BBQ discussion forum, I didn't look here until now Laughing

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19773

I'd give it a 7 out of 10, but realize I've been cooking my ribs rubless until recently. I got very little of the sweet left after cooking, but enough to detect it. More of the chili pepper spice, and salt, remained than anything else at the end.

I would reduce the salt (but I add very little salt to my food, far less than the average person). I see no one else thought that, so it's just me! Laughing

The rub was a brick in the vacuum sealed packet, but I broke it into chunks then ground back to powder using my mortar and pestle, then put it in an old empty clean bottle for storage and use.

I'll try some leftover ribs tomorrow with my homemade Three pepper BBQ sauce, and see how well that complements the ribs vs. the raspberry chipotle and apple chipotle sauces I tried tonight.

Those are some really good looking ribs. I have to say that you are probably the first person that I have met that doesnt put anything on their ribs.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12 08 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjectives like 'typical', 'average', and 'normal' never have really applied to me. Laughing

I'd never cooked decent pork outdoors other than grilling pork chops before I picked up on the info on this board, and a few other sites. I've cooked tons of beef and flocks of chickens outside, but not much pork until the last year (I ruined a few racks of ribs in my younger and considerably less affluent days and left them alone outside of restaurants). I figured I needed to crawl before I walked Cool I think of myself as a toddler cooking pork ribs now, beef brisket remains my best meat item to cook outdoors.

I had some leftovers tonight. Tried 3 bones with my homemade spicy BBQ sauce and that complemented the rub better than the sweet-and-somewhat-spicy store bought fruit & chipotle sauces, knocking it up to an 8.

Then I tried 2 bones with some apple cider based BBQ sauce for pork I bought on closeout at World Market - and that complemented the ribs the best so far. I'd still reduce the salt a bit (but again, I'm not typical), but with an apple and tomato based sweeter sauce, the rub and meat were well complemented!
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 08 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I cooked up some baby backs today and gave the rub a try.

In short, we really liked it! Very Happy We usually use rubs lightly to keep from overpowering the flavor of the meat. Yours' was the first I've tried that I felt really enhanced the flavor without being overpowering. On the next trial I will most likely give the meat a stronger coat. We use a fairly sweet bbq sauce as well which I think went very well the rub.

When this sample is gone is there a chance to get some more from you? We like it that much! Very Happy

I thought I should add that we use olive oil in place of mustard as a slather to hold rubs. During the cook I used a broth / apple juice mop to spritz the ribs. I also foiled for 1 hour with some of the mop.

Last edited by Tom C on Thu Aug 14 08 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ou812warford
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 08 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used it on some bones chicken breasts and it seemed to lost some of its taste. I have enjoyed it on different things. After this taste I would give it a seven. It was very good on shrimp and the beef filet steaks. I need to put it on some pork now. I will let you know when I do.

Oklahoma Joe 16" traditonal
weber gold 26 3/4"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: