FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Used AC Freon Tank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarrel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23 08 5:31 am    Post subject: Used AC Freon Tank Reply with quote

I need some advise...I have some free nonrefillable 134A AC freon 30lbs. tanks given to to I was wondering if I could use them as a firebox or will thet be too thin for this application Question

Sarrel
bluesman250
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23 08 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Used AC Freon Tank Reply with quote

Sarrel wrote:
I need some advise...I have some free nonrefillable 134A AC freon 30lbs. tanks given to to I was wondering if I could use them as a firebox or will thet be too thin for this application Question

Sarrel

Not sure about those specific tanks, but back when i was wrenching on diesels, the freon tanks were basically larger propane tanks, like those for a gas grill. Basically rolled sheet metal. But depending on your application, they may work. They may also be thicker, its been about 5 years since i have seen any.
Sarrel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23 08 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Used AC Freon Tank Reply with quote

bluesman250 wrote:
Sarrel wrote:

Sarrel

Not sure about those specific tanks, but back when i was wrenching on diesels, the freon tanks were basically larger propane tanks, like those for a gas grill. Basically rolled sheet metal. But depending on your application, they may work. They may also be thicker, its been about 5 years since i have seen any.

Thank you, Bluesman250
These are the tanks that we use at work when working on todays vehicle ac systems.
bluesman250
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23 08 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that an empty one would weigh just a bit more then an empty 18 pound propane cylinder. If thats the case, its just rolled metal. a 30 pound tank if made of 1/4 inch steel or something similar, would be real heavy. All of the 134A tanks we used were rolled metal.
Sarrel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23 08 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesman250 wrote:
I would imagine that an empty one would weigh just a bit more then an empty 18 pound propane cylinder. If thats the case, its just rolled metal. a 30 pound tank if made of 1/4 inch steel or something similar, would be real heavy. All of the 134A tanks we used were rolled metal.

Good, So it would hold up enough for a firebox you think? Because my manager would like me to take them all.
Sarrel
bluesman250
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23 08 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarrel wrote:
bluesman250 wrote:

Good, So it would hold up enough for a firebox you think? Because my manager would like me to take them all.
Sarrel

I see no reason it would not. The east way to tell is to take them all, and purge and cut one open. With the high prices they pay for scrap, i would take them all anyway. Cut em open, and if they will not work, take them in to the scrapper!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: