FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take it easy on me, my first build update 9/8 first cook!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15 08 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wife says your obsessed, well I would say you have found the perfect therapy and from the looks of your build it is working very nicely. Great job looking forward to seeing it fired up. Very Happy
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15 08 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: need help with exhaust Reply with quote

BabyHuey wrote:
Thank you all for the kind comments! I should clarify that this is my 1st PIT build. My step Dad had a welding shop when I was a kid, so metal fab is not new to me. There is a huge difference between a fabricator and a pit builder though. A pit builder is something I want to be Wink

Everything I learned about pit building was from lurking on this site. I studied for several months before making my drawings and diving in.

I am stumped though on my exhaust. My dad ran accross a new 5" chrome stack that is 40" long. The tip was bent slightly so I was able to pick it up for $40 bucks. Should I cut it in half and have 2 20" stacks with dampers?

I have (3) 2-3/4" square openings going into the vertical chamber, I am thinking with (2) 5" pipes 20" long I will have a bottle neck there. Any comments will be appreciated.

From the looks of the work your doing i guessed this wasn't your first rodeo. Wink
Love the pig brackets !!! Very Happy
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15 08 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: need help with exhaust Reply with quote

BabyHuey wrote:
Thank you all for the kind comments! I should clarify that this is my 1st PIT build. My step Dad had a welding shop when I was a kid, so metal fab is not new to me. There is a huge difference between a fabricator and a pit builder though. A pit builder is something I want to be Wink

Everything I learned about pit building was from lurking on this site. I studied for several months before making my drawings and diving in.

I am stumped though on my exhaust. My dad ran accross a new 5" chrome stack that is 40" long. The tip was bent slightly so I was able to pick it up for $40 bucks. Should I cut it in half and have 2 20" stacks with dampers?

I have (3) 2-3/4" square openings going into the vertical chamber, I am thinking with (2) 5" pipes 20" long I will have a bottle neck there. Any comments will be appreciated.

I'm certainly no expert on pit building or draft requirements but it looked to me that the opening into the cooker from the firebox will allow much more airflow than the what the (3) 2-3/4 openings will allow to flow into the vertical section. That may be more of a bottle neck than the stack sizes.
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15 08 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: need help with exhaust Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm certainly no expert on pit building or draft requirements but it looked to me that the opening into the cooker from the firebox will allow much more airflow than the what the (3) 2-3/4 openings will allow to flow into the vertical section. That may be more of a bottle neck than the stack sizes.

Tom, Good Point! That is what I am thinking too Question I didn't quite word it that way after I re-read my post, but I may need to open up the flow between the horizontal and the vertical chamber. In my original design I used 4" square openings. Somehow along the line I grabbed the wrong size tubing and didn't realize it until I got my exhaust pipe and started measuring and calculating. Thanks

Link to my pit build slideshow:

http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m398/LilBabyHuey/?action=view¤t=4675c7d7.pbw
coal miner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15 08 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking pit. When I built mine wish I would of put an upright on it. Yours looks good. What TomC said about the openings into the upright. Way I figure you have 22.7sq" into upright to dual 5" exhaust stacks 39.25sq". Don't know what your fire box opening to cooking chamber numbers are ? The pit ratios that Jeff mentions gave me some good guide lines , thank you forum member , so yeah you may have a bottle neck.Pit really looks awesome !! Will be watching for more pics.You are right about a ton of knowledge on this site,it sure helped on my build. Just thinking about the openings, make them bigger w/ damper to adjust the size could be an option.
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15 08 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BabyHuey,

It sounds like we were on the same page in our thinking regarding a potential bottle neck. If I were you at this point I would just install your stacks as planned and when you’re ready give her a test fire. If it turns out you actually have a bottle neck you could look at changes then. We've seen from other smoker projects that there can be some give and take on the ratios posted and still have cookers that operate well.
fastball

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first things first......Awesome build. Looks great.

Ok, my thoughts....

1. It looks like the opening from the firebox to the horizontal is at the bottom of the horizontal. This may need some rework. It's real easy for grease to roll back into the firebox, causing a grease fire along the entire length of the horizontal. You should build a lip on the horizontal to keep this from happening (maybe you already do and I just can't see it).

2. Looks like not enough of an opening into the vertical. This is something I had to rework on mine. I ended up opening the horizontal opening (from the pipe to the horizontal) and running tuning plates all the way into the horizontal. If you don't do this, the vertical will be nothing more than a smoker for pre-cooked meats, or a warmer.

By opening the entire horizontal into the vertical (and using tuning plates), and am now able to run temperatures in the vertical high enough to actually cook with it. Actually, by playing with the tilt of the trailer, I can run my vertical 10-15 degrees hotter than the horizontal.

Just something to think about.... again, great job on the build.

Homemade Mobile Offset Smoker
Homemade Cabinet Smoker...AKA "Mr. Potatohead"
Old Beat-up Kettle Grill
Fire Pit
Char-Broil Gasser
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastball wrote:
Ok, first things first......Awesome build. Looks great.

Ok, my thoughts....

1. It looks like the opening from the firebox to the horizontal is at the bottom of the horizontal. This may need some rework. It's real easy for grease to roll back into the firebox, causing a grease fire along the entire length of the horizontal. You should build a lip on the horizontal to keep this from happening (maybe you already do and I just can't see it).

2. Looks like not enough of an opening into the vertical. This is something I had to rework on mine. I ended up opening the horizontal opening (from the pipe to the horizontal) and running tuning plates all the way into the horizontal. If you don't do this, the vertical will be nothing more than a smoker for pre-cooked meats, or a warmer.

By opening the entire horizontal into the vertical (and using tuning plates), and am now able to run temperatures in the vertical high enough to actually cook with it. Actually, by playing with the tilt of the trailer, I can run my vertical 10-15 degrees hotter than the horizontal.

Just something to think about.... again, great job on the build.

Thanks for the feedback, there is a 3/4" lip from the bottom of the horizontal to the top of the firebox and a drain with a nipple about 4" long that should catch the drippings. Do you think that is enough?

Also, I think I am going to open up between the horizontal and vertical. I am undecided on whether to put a damper there or not.

Lastly thanks for the encourging comments from all on the workmaship.

AcesWithChips

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great looking BBQ! I really like the damper style on the firebox. I'll bet it will give very good control. Now how in the hell did you cut out those pigs? If I did something like that the ears would just be a blob of half melted metal. I salute your skills Sir.

Happy BBQ

Sure I have a gas grill. It's white with four burners on top.
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcesWithChips wrote:
Now how in the hell did you cut out those pigs? If I did something like that the ears would just be a blob of half melted metal. I salute your skills Sir.

Happy BBQ

I am guessing it was plasma, but even with a nice plasma cutter I would end up with a mess... I know I would not even attempt to cut something like that... A straight line turns out bad enough for me!!!
fastball

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BabyHuey wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, there is a 3/4" lip from the bottom of the horizontal to the top of the firebox and a drain with a nipple about 4" long that should catch the drippings. Do you think that is enough?

Also, I think I am going to open up between the horizontal and vertical. I am undecided on whether to put a damper there or not.

Lastly thanks for the encourging comments from all on the workmaship.

Yep, I would think so.....mine is a little higher, but I usually cook big cuts (shoulder/butt/brisket) in my vertical, so I tend to raise the tongue of my trailer (so it's a bit unlevel), so the taller lip lets me rest easier.

Homemade Mobile Offset Smoker
Homemade Cabinet Smoker...AKA "Mr. Potatohead"
Old Beat-up Kettle Grill
Fire Pit
Char-Broil Gasser
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcesWithChips wrote:
What a great looking BBQ! I really like the damper style on the firebox. I'll bet it will give very good control. Now how in the hell did you cut out those pigs? If I did something like that the ears would just be a blob of half melted metal. I salute your skills Sir.

Happy BBQ

Thanks for the compliment. I use a plasma cutter. I make plasma art stuff for gifts and do it all freehand. I do most of my cutouts for gifts out of aluminum and it's much more challengeing, I ussually end up with the blob you are talking about. Laughing

The process I use is make my sketch on poster board, cut it out with a extaco knife and scissors. Trace to the metal I am cutting and then cut it out. knock off the slag. Then if it is aluminum I polish it to a mirror finish.

Chuck
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 6:35 am    Post subject: pit Reply with quote

BabyHuey we will take it easy on you, if we can come over
for your frist cook.

Very nice build job

I really like your pig handles

Stilwell Chuck
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very good so far. You have made good progress and are well on your way. Keep posting those pics. . .
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: pit Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
BabyHuey we will take it easy on you, if we can come over
for your frist cook.

Very nice build job

I really like your pig handles

Stilwell Chuck

That would be cool! Thanks for the compliment. I hope the food turns out!

BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Ron wrote:
Looking very good so far. You have made good progress and are well on your way. Keep posting those pics. . .

Thanks Big Ron, I went to your website and I think I am going to have to try some of that rub!

HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18 08 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice build there BabyHuey, cant wait to see it all done.
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18 08 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huey, no problem. I am looking forward to an order. Keep posting those pics, looking great!
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21 08 9:43 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I had a few hours with the pit this weekend. We had a lot of stuff going on this weekend so Friday afternoon I decided to spend a little time updating some things.
1-Since most of the weight is on one side of the trailer, I dropped the trailer to the ground. Measured the distance from the ground to the trailer on both sides. There was about 1-1/4" difference. To account for wood and coolers, I subtracted 1/4" and added a 1" shim between the axle and the trailer to level it up. Pics of that coming later.

2 - I made up some tuning plates, adjustable and removeable:

3-Added 2 more openings between the horizontal and vertical cooking chambers.

4 - Added my cooking grate supports. And made the first cooking grate.

That cooking grate is time consuming. Sheesh I don't know if I am going to make it before labor day or not.....

Last edited by BabyHuey on Mon Jul 21 08 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brinnie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21 08 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate - That is Sensational Smile

Cheers
Smoking
Down Under
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: