FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to make ABT's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LDADAMS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 12:48 am    Post subject: how to make ABT's Reply with quote

I've seen pictures and know there's bacon and jalapeno, but what else is in those puppies
bluesman250
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the search function and look around. there about a gazillion threads on them already.
LDADAMS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 1:17 am    Post subject: abt's Reply with quote

thanks blues for info
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There does not seem to be any consensus on what makes an ABT other then jalapeņo, some kind of meat and cheese and wrapped in bacon. I am seen literally hundreds of variations. Some including things like pineapple or other sweet fruits.

I use this. I get 45 jalapeņo peppers (because 45 little smokies come to a pack) -- A pack of little smokies. Two 8 ounce packages of cream cheese. A little bit of peperjack cheese, a little chedar cheese, an onion, and some of my favorite barbecue rub.

I take all the cheese, rub, and onion and put in a food processor and mix till it's a nice smooth mix...

I put some of the mix in a gallon ziplock bag and push it down into a corner, and cut off the corner to make a ghetto pastry bag.

I cut the peppers lenghtwist and scoop our the seeds. Put a bead of cheese mix on both sides, put a little smoky in-between, put pepper back together warp with bacon, and I like to put mine on a bamboo scewer like a shish-ka-bob of abt's. Make it easier to work with them.

Smoke for 1.5-2 hours ish till bacon is done and eat it.

Many suggest 1/2 a piece of thick bacon. I prefer to get the thinest bacon I can find and use a whole piece. Covers the pepper better and holds in the cheese goo better. Also crisps up better.

How ever you decide to make yours, I doubt you can go wrong. Every way I have tried turns out freaking amazing. It's the one food I doubt anyone could f--k up.
HuskerSmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care for the little smoky in mine. I just use the cream cheese in a zip lock as well then sprinkle with rub. I like to use a whole piece of thin bacon around a half a pepper. I find I get better coverage and the bacon sticks to itself. No toothpicks or skewers. Though a kabob of ABTs does sound good!

BTW - the last time I made them, the bacon didn't look all that crisp, so I tossed it on the gas grill for a couple of minutes and they turned out awesome! Smokey and crisp and GOOOOOD!

BTW #2 - I did 12 whole peppers for 24 ABTs in less than 30 minutes.
h00kemh0rns
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 08 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty of ABT's is that you make them however you want. There is as many ways as there are people on these boards. Basics are Jalepeno, cheese/meat mixture, and bacon. Not to mention various derivatives.

Here is a quick google page that shows a step by step: http://www.weekendgrillers.com/atomic-buffalo-turds.html

http://www.bigsteelkeg.com/

My Keg can kick your Egg's ceramic @$$
Indiana Bear
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17 08 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some with a little shredded SW chicken as the meat.....still thinking some SW crab would be awesome as well......have to agree with everyone else though, there are a hundred variations out there....whatever sound good to you will probably be great Cool

"How do you measure yourself against other golfers?......By Height"
CABREWFAN
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17 08 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try stuffing them with artichoke jalapeno dip from Costco (or homemade for that matter) and topping them with spicy linguica. I also prefer thin bacon.................
orangeblood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17 08 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuffed, bacon wrapped smoked jalapenos have been around for forever in south Texas (well at least 45+ years). The ABT name is cute but I bet more than one old timer pit boss wouldnt know what one is if you called it an ABT.
Bodon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17 08 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CABREWFAN wrote:
Try stuffing them with artichoke jalapeno dip from Costco (or homemade for that matter) and topping them with spicy linguica. I also prefer thin bacon.................

That sounds good, I might have to try it. My wife isn't too keen on them with the little smokies....
CABREWFAN
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17 08 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodon wrote:
CABREWFAN wrote:

That sounds good, I might have to try it. My wife isn't too keen on them with the little smokies....

That's exactly why I had to modify the recipe.......At least she'll humor me by eating 1 or 2 now!
brokeneck
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17 08 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been making em lately same as Jeff from va but instead of smokie I have been pitting in a piece of that fake crab meat. Turn out awesome!!!!
Brokeneck
aiannar974

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17 08 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone tried a anchove in with the cream cheese or maybe some smoked oysters?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: