FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chargrill Pro Mod Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crd26a

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04 08 3:27 am    Post subject: Chargrill Pro Mod Question Reply with quote

I've picked up the Pro recently and have been wanting to control the temperatures more. I recently did most of the mods I've seen (still need to do the dryer vent) but did get good results out of flipping the charcoal tray for a baffler.

One problem I did have with it is the variation from the middle to the end. The end farthest from the fire box was running hotter than the middle. I'm attributing this to more hot air carrying through the entire baffle than coming up the sides. As I do not intend to use the main chamber as a grill (I've got a larger grill if I need it, use the SFB for small grilling) I was curious if I drilled holes through the bottom of the charcoal tray if this would help solve the heat problem. My thoughts were 2-3 holes every ~4-5 inches, approx. 1/2 holes. Thoughts if this would work / help? Should I use more / less holes?

Any thoughts / assistance would greatly help.
stejvg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06 08 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pro also there are a couple of ideas. i noticed someone made a baffle out of heavy duty aluminum foil which i was going to try and install the baffle before the end of the pro about 3/4 of the way up from the bottom to see if the heat would then stay more even around the middle and ends, drilling holes in the middle area would allow the heat and smoke te escape in this area before reaching the end of the baffle ( i like this idea but i think you need some deflection)

the other was on the inside of the smoker to extend the stack over to the middle ( a little more difficult)personally don't like this one

my thought (being an electrician) was to hole saw a 1" hole in the middle of the baffler to allow the flow up in the middle, if this didn't help,you could always plug the hole with a metal conduit plug ( you can buy the hole saw and the plug at any lowes, homer etc.

I am going to try the baffle with foil since this is the most non intrusive, if this works some what I will have it made out of stainless steel
Gas Grill
Coleman Road Trip
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07 08 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be what your looking for to help with the temp control. Most all of these mods are time tested and do help.
http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/offset_smokers.html
Elancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07 08 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use three, 6" x 18" steel plates in my Char-Griller Smokin' Pro. I got them from my local home improvement store. I place one directly against the side with the firebox, which acts as a baffle. The second is placed an inch from the first one and the third, an inch and a half from the second. The temperture from one end to the other is less than 10 degrees difference when placed this way.
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07 08 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elancer wrote:
I use three, 6" x 18" steel plates in my Char-Griller Smokin' Pro. I got them from my local home improvement store. I place one directly against the side with the firebox, which acts as a baffle. The second is placed an inch from the first one and the third, an inch and a half from the second. The temperture from one end to the other is less than 10 degrees difference when placed this way.

Now that's a great idea. I will have to try this. I haven't had any major problems just using my charcoal grate but this way is better. You can really fine tune it.

Doc
stejvg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07 08 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skidder - Plenty of good stuff lets try the ones that have been tested first

Elancer - have you flipped the charcoal baffle in your pro? if so or not how did you mount the steel plates?
Gas Grill
Coleman Road Trip
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07 08 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These seem to work in my offset and many others. They have been tested many times over and help tremendously. I'm not sure what you mean about not being tested. These are pretty much the standard mods for an offset as far as I know.
stejvg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08 08 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I mean I will try your mods which have been tested before experimenting with others
Gas Grill
Coleman Road Trip
Elancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08 08 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skidder wrote:
Quote:
Elancer - have you flipped the charcoal baffle in your pro? if so or not how did you mount the steel plates?

I leave the charcoal tray in it's normal position at the lowest setting. I place the stainless steel plates in by just lying them in there. 18 inches seems to be the perfect length because when you place them in, they end up flush with the top of the fire box opening. I know you usually see the baffle angled downward and the tuning plates running along near the bottom of the chamber, but I average about an 8 degree difference from end to end using this method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: