FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long for corn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muscle Head BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23 08 6:06 am    Post subject: How long for corn? Reply with quote

Anybody know how long it will take to cook 10 ears of corn at 210 degrees?

flex...............
Hasty-Bake Legacy
Webber Kettle
Beverage-Air Kegerator
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23 08 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably depends on how your going to do them. I found this online:

Quote:
There are few things that scream "SUMMER" like grilled corn on the cob. I do mine a little differntly than this however, and it is fantastic! First of all, DO NOT remove the husks - they are vital to the flavor and cooking process. Only peel a little bit back to make sure you do not have a bad one. You can tear off any long silk that is sticking out, but do not worry about the ones inside (they come off easily after they are cooked). Put the corn in a cooler or bucket large enough to hold them all and completely cover with clean water. Allow them to soak for at least an hour or up to several hours and keep turning them because they float. When it comes time to cook, quickly drain the excess water out the tops and put them on a hot grill for approximately 30 minutes. Be sure to turn them every 5 minutes or so and rotate them around the grill too. The husks will burn and some may even catch on fire - this is normal. Remove any husks that fall off. The corn itself will not burn because it is being steamed from the inside due to the soaking (as long as you rotate them). Also, do not put directly on hot coals - this will surely cause burn spots. Once the husks are mostly all blackened, remove from grill, and husk. Most of the silk, if not all, will come off at this time They will stay hot for at least 30 minutes as long as the husks are left on, and be carefull not to burn your hands while husking. Season to taste with butter, salt, pepper, or whatever you like.

18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23 08 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do mine the way described above but I add sugar to the water (read that somewhere). Anyway I have been cooking mine on the top shelf of my smoker for about two hours. My lower rack was held between 225-250. So you might plan on 2.5 to 3 hours at 210. Oh, and I also pull back enough of the husk to add some butter then tie the husk in place with twine. Good luck!
Salt Creek Bar-B-Que
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 08 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone every tried to deep fry corn on the cob?? I had a buddy suggest it to me. Only takes a minute or so, just drop it in after you pull out the turkey? Is he pulling my leg?
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 08 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to leave those long silks on when grilling or cooking...you can just grab them when it is done and pull all the silk out when they are done and leave the husks intact...that might be a good trick for you caterers.
Jet_deck
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 08 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgecitymyers wrote:
Anyone every tried to deep fry corn on the cob?? I had a buddy suggest it to me. Only takes a minute or so, just drop it in after you pull out the turkey? Is he pulling my leg?

Some of the best corn i've had was dipped in the Zatarans Fish batter. It is a cornmeal style batter with a touch of heat, excellent eats.
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 08 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgPhan wrote:
I like to leave those long silks on when grilling or cooking...you can just grab them when it is done and pull all the silk out

That's how I usually do mine.
Cranky Buzzard
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 08 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to beat the ears stripped of husks and silk, then wrapped in bacon and cooked at 225 for a couple of hours.

I've also done like TomC and had good results recently when I was out of bacon.

Deep fried, now that just sounds TASTY!!!

CB
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 08 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OddThomas wrote:
DawgPhan wrote:
I like to leave those long silks on when grilling or cooking...you can just grab them when it is done and pull all the silk out

That's how I usually do mine.

Me 2.

The corn doesnt take long to cook over a hot grill, but its like a steamed cooked in husk corn. It doesnt get the charred black burned grilled marks if thats what anyone wants.

Mike Lawry.
s.a.jones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26 08 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My absolute favorite way to do corn is;
-carefully peel corn, leaving husk intact at stalk end
-remove silk
-rub with butter
-sprinkle with salt/pepper, or bbq rub
-add numerous dashes of Franks Red Hot to each ear
-re-wrap with husk and twist at the top to seal

I normally grill it over med/high heat for about 10-15 min. But I imagine you could smoke it for about an hour, long enough to melt the butter and soften the corn.
jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26 08 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just cooking up something quick then try grilling. I like to take the husks right off, and clean the cob. Make a nice compound butter, with some garlic or ancho chili, salt & pepper. Butter one side of the corn before you put it on the grill, then grill that side down. Butter another side and turn the corn every couple minutes. Corn is done in 8-10 minutes. Nice char or grill marks on the corn. Yummy! Though, I am looking forward to those ideas for cooking the corn low and slow. Boy, pig fat works with everything!

Jim
Red, White & Que
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: