FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shortening the Curve

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoocheeQue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16 05 1:50 pm    Post subject: Shortening the Curve Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to this forum, but not to Q. I have recently acquired a lang 60 deluxe and a few months ago I began cooking whole pork butts for people. Everyone raves about the product, but my orders are slowing this time. I'm pretty sure it's because I advertise to the same folks (at my job and my wife's and a few other friendly businesses in town). I guess people can only eat pork plates every other meal for a week so often before they need a break. I don't care to expand to more time consuming and labor intensive menu options because I have three small children and a wife who enjoys doing other things besides babysitting while I cook. The only natural option is to try and expand my customer base so that i can get a steady flow of orders for most weekends. Does anyone have any tips that can help me get my name out there without spending a bundle on advertising. In my small town, word of mouth has always proven to be the best way to go anyway. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Hawgboyzbbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16 05 8:39 pm    Post subject: New Customers Reply with quote

Set up that Lang on a busy street corner, let the smoke roll, get some business cards and give samples of your meat. Call it a Customer Appreciation Day. You will have people stop, have a sample and give them a card.
Ed
I Ol' dog
Harley in my shop
Smoke On!!!!!!!
www.kickassbbq.com
ohman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18 05 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening the Curve Reply with quote

HoocheeQue wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to this forum, but not to Q. I have recently acquired a lang 60 deluxe and a few months ago I began cooking whole pork butts for people. Everyone raves about the product, but my orders are slowing this time. I'm pretty sure it's because I advertise to the same folks (at my job and my wife's and a few other friendly businesses in town). I guess people can only eat pork plates every other meal for a week so often before they need a break. I don't care to expand to more time consuming and labor intensive menu options because I have three small children and a wife who enjoys doing other things besides babysitting while I cook. The only natural option is to try and expand my customer base so that i can get a steady flow of orders for most weekends. Does anyone have any tips that can help me get my name out there without spending a bundle on advertising. In my small town, word of mouth has always proven to be the best way to go anyway. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I went through the same thing with my brisket. At first it was hard to keep up with and then it leveled off and now it is kind of slow. I had several people eating it everyday for weeks so I know they are burnt out on it.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18 05 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in a marketing firm, here some tips for small businesses that work.

1) Have some sort of loyalty card. Buy 10, get 1 free. This doesn't have to be fancy. It can be your business card with a stamp or sig for each visit.
2) 25% off if you bring a new face (small guys can do this).
3) Hand out hats and T-Shirts to regulars. Combine this with #1 and get a free shirt and sandwich on your 10th visit.
4) Advertising. Flyers, handouts, coupons all work. They handed out 50% coupons up here one day and we ate at the same place for a month. Nobody would have knew about Freebirds, now everyone does.
5) Email lists. Have them enter a drawing for a free sandwich by putting their business card in a pot. Once a week or so, draw a name. Put all the email addresses into your computer and every time you do something new or different, spam them. Would you want to know that "Brisket Guy" is coming out with a sausage sandwich? I would.

Things like this will spread the word and keep them coming.
ohman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19 05 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-O wrote:
Being in a marketing firm, here some tips for small businesses that work.

1) Have some sort of loyalty card. Buy 10, get 1 free. This doesn't have to be fancy. It can be your business card with a stamp or sig for each visit.
2) 25% off if you bring a new face (small guys can do this).
3) Hand out hats and T-Shirts to regulars. Combine this with #1 and get a free shirt and sandwich on your 10th visit.
4) Advertising. Flyers, handouts, coupons all work. They handed out 50% coupons up here one day and we ate at the same place for a month. Nobody would have knew about Freebirds, now everyone does.
5) Email lists. Have them enter a drawing for a free sandwich by putting their business card in a pot. Once a week or so, draw a name. Put all the email addresses into your computer and every time you do something new or different, spam them. Would you want to know that "Brisket Guy" is coming out with a sausage sandwich? I would.

Things like this will spread the word and keep them coming.

Those are some great ideas...Thanks steve
HoocheeQue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19 05 6:32 am    Post subject: Thanks guys Reply with quote

Those are some really good ideas. I told several of my return customers that if they would get a few people signed up I would give them a butt at cost and if they brought in more than five it'd be a freebie. The rest of the ideas I hadn't even thought of. I'll be trying some of 'em next go round.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19 05 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you guys get really big, keep me in mind.

www.brierley.com

We do marketing, specializing in Loyalty programs. We're currently rolling out programs for American Eagle Outfitters, Borders books, and Ann Taylor.

The idea behind a loyalty program is that you have a good product and you want to give folks a reason to keep coming back. The things I listed above will work for small concessions and catering services. The key is a good product.

Sauce samples with you name, address, email, phone number on the label would be a good idea to try also. Sell them at cost and when folks taste it, they know where they can get some more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: