FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My First Pig Roast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SectorB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 12:38 am    Post subject: My First Pig Roast Reply with quote

I decided to do a Pig roast for my mom's 60th. I have been talking about the box cooker I got and now was a perfect time to use it. I had a 95lb pig dressed with no head, it was supposed to be an 85 with the head but it worked out. I started at 1130 am and was done 5pm. I marinated it in a Caribbean Mojo - 2 parts Oj, 1 Part Lemon Juice Garlic and spices. I used hickory to give it smoke. The pig had a good flavor and was juicy. I should have brought it higher in temp for pulling but the crowd wasn't the sticky finger BBQ type. Overall a successful cook. Here are some pics.

MeadowCreek PR60

The Smokey Future is cloudy but tasty
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!

Although I get PRETTY dang cranky around a whole pig with no head. The biggest motivation I have for whole hog is the cheek meat! Shocked Laughing
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good first cook SectorB. How ya like the box?

Doc
doojr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like one of those cajun smokers they have around here. I had some at work for a promotion they did, and it was pretty good.
SectorB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lantern,

I was pretty ticked that the head was gone until they gave it to me for $0.99/lb, the same weight as with the head. It would have been 20 cents more a lb originally.

Doc,

The box worked good. Not great, the wind kicked its butt on temp until I came up with a wind break. Once that was fixed it was smooth sailing. I was able to add hickory for the flavor and it lived up to my expectations. I'd recommend building one if you are looking for an inexpensive cooker. I like the fact that the coals are under the meat instead of on top like the la caja china.
MeadowCreek PR60

Last edited by SectorB on Wed Jul 02 08 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great SectorB, I like the whole no head thing something about it looks like it is looking at me just creeps me out. Laughing
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SectorB wrote:
Lantern,

I was pretty ticked that the head was gone until they gave it to me for $0.99/lb, the same weight as with the head. It would have been 30 cents more a lb originally.

HUH??? $0.99/LB for whole hog at 80'ish pounds??

A pig that size around here would be into the $3.00/LB range

I don't get a break until I am over 130 pounds, and it is still $1.79/LB

So, you get up this way often??? Bring me a few hogs please!
SectorB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

Peoria Packing in Chicago sells whole hogs at .99/lb with the head, $1.19/lb with out on anything over 85 lbs. Anything under is $1.79/lb. Unfortunately I will not be making it up your way again until next year. I will be in Milwaukee on the 31st if that helps. Let me know.
MeadowCreek PR60

Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

If I am in milwaukee I head over to Rupenas foods. www.rupenas.com they have great pricing on pigs, and they will even set you up with a rotisserie unit with the pig already mounted on the spit for no extra charge

When I worked in IL, I threw a party that I was leaving for good and going back home to WI, I tried to get a couple pigs locally to cook and was shocked by what the local places wanted in Lake & Mchenry county.
A place in Grayslake quoted me in exces of $4.00/LB (and this was back in the 1990's)

I drove up to Milwaukee to get my pigs.
And if the decision between driving to chicago or milwaukee was needed, I always chose Milwaukee becuase it was so much less hassle to get there and a nicer city to be in.

Milwaukee; Is a native-american word that means "meeting place by the water"

Chicago; Native-american word that means "Place that smells like a skunk", or "Place that smells like wild onions" Since Chicago had a huge area of wild onions back in ancient times, and they do smell like a skunk when they are growing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: