FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

chimney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Efrain

PostPosted: Mon May 26 08 11:22 am    Post subject: chimney Reply with quote

hi i dont have a chimney starter anyone have any other recomendations on getting things going,i am new at this thanks. Very Happy
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 26 08 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a pinch use tasteless (yeah, right) lighter fluid at one end (not in the center) of the charcoal. Don't close the lid until that spot is consumed. If you got wood, then a small log over that spot will set things in motion. Also, greasy potato chips make a good fire starter as well.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 26 08 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weed burner from Harbor Freight! Lights any thing fast and you look cool doing it!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91033

James.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon May 26 08 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesB wrote:
Weed burner from Harbor Freight! Lights any thing fast and you look cool doing it!

James.

Thats what I'm talking about Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
stevenr
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 26 08 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought me one of those a few weeks ago......man, you talk about saving time lighting charcoal, and keeping it going .........plus makes cleaning your grates super simple.
jazzspot

PostPosted: Tue May 27 08 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenr wrote:
bought me one of those a few weeks ago......man, you talk about saving time lighting charcoal, and keeping it going .........plus makes cleaning your grates super simple.

I agree. I absolutely love my weed burner torch since I started using it a few months ago. And the clean-up of the cooking grates is no longer a chore that I once hated.

Big Drum Smoker - Deluxe 2343
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro
Cookshack SM50

Last edited by jazzspot on Tue May 27 08 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 27 08 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesB wrote:

James.

Oh hellz Yeah!!! This is one item I could not do without. Plus the fun factor is way up there - I have to keep an eye on it when some of my friends are a round - too much tempation to start burning stuff with it - LOL! But should definitely be in your Q' arsenal IMO
stevenr
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28 08 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing ...... so far , i have burned a stump, a small sapling that wouldnt die, 50ft of green weeds,..........until the wife made me put it up Twisted Evil
Bubba

PostPosted: Wed May 28 08 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I picked nothing else from this site (which it's already too late for, BTW), the weed burner would still be worth it ten-fold...I'll be the proud owner of this WMD as of 5:15 this PM Twisted Evil
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 28 08 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weed burners are good,a rooofing torch for torch-down roofing is better, but in a pinch you can use a gal. size can with holes around the bottom made with a church key can opener. A couple pcs. of newspaper crumpled and covered with cooking oil in the bottom and use same as a reg. chimney..Edited In a real pinch you can put a couple pcs. of paper in your firebox, cover with charcoal, light then hit with a blower...
bigdude
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28 08 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with an el cheapo from Lowes (under $10) to see if I liked it, then moved up to stainless steel one.
BufordCityDawg
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28 08 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one out of a couple of large vegetable cans. I cut one down the middle and it wrapped around the outside of the other quite well. After that a few holes in the bottom to vent and then you're ready for paper towel, veg oil, and some charcoal. I'd put just a few pieces in until they light, then add more. If you put too many in, it will crush the paper towel and choke out the flame. Also the flame throwers look great, but it is probably cheaper and easier to just get a chimney starter. No offense guys, I'm wanting one now. I've got a couple of stumps in the back that I'd like to burn. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Lumpy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28 08 11:07 am    Post subject: Chimney Starter Reply with quote

Bought a Weber chimney starter for $12 about 6 or 7 years ago and it is still going strong. (Makes just the right amount of coals for a nice layer in the Weber 22.5" kettles). You can get a good price on Amazon and if buying anything else, usually will get free shipping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: