FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBJ class cooking guidelines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zz-que

PostPosted: Sun May 18 08 8:25 pm    Post subject: CBJ class cooking guidelines Reply with quote

Are there any KCBS reps or cooks out there that can give some guidelines on cooking for a CBJ class? TC and I are cooking for the June 14 CBJ class in Nashville IN, and would like to know how we can best help train new judges.
Thanks,
Steve
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 19 08 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCBS will provide you the details, so get a hold of the rep who's teaching the class. I've cooked a couple of times and they have specific rules (don't cut through on some brisket slices, don't put enough ribs in, etc).

Cook how you cook, most of their info will be in building boxes.

And you'll LAUGH when you get scores from 2 to 9 for the same stuff you cook at different tables.
zz-que

PostPosted: Tue May 20 08 5:45 am    Post subject: CBJ cooking guidelines Reply with quote

Thank you. TC has a Stump for the class, and I have a Backwoods Competitor. We can not cook bad on either one of these, but I thought about it. I am glad it is all about presentation, and following the KCBS rules. It should be fun screwing up turn ins when it does not count.
TC and I are both CBJs, but mostly competitors.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 20 08 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have some fun with it, we always tried some "interesting" combinations of sauces/spices (we didn't spend a lot on it) and it was fun to see the range in the class when all of the stuff was cooked the same.

We split it up and different cookers did all of one category, that way the judges could get an eye opener when they're told it's all the same
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 21 08 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert and I have served as kitchen-help at a number of training classes, including some of those where the Smokin' Okie has cooked. Frankly, it's hilarious to watch the cooks' reactions when they start hearing of critical responses coming from the judges-to-be when they're practicing their scoring.

You might also want to recruit a few folks in the kitchen to build boxes and do "gopher" work while you cooks are slicing and dicing, and to keep up with the official list of which boxes are supposed to look like what, to keep you cooks in line. Make sure that there's enough meat and enough of the requested garnish to actually build the boxes that they're wanting. Six bunches of parsley don't go very far when you're trying to build 120 boxes (4 categories x 3 boxes each category x 10 tables of judges)... Rolling Eyes

Keri C
1 Home Built XL GF Stump clone w/Roc's Stoker
3 Cookshack FEC100's
1 Good One P30 (on loan)
1 Vermont Casting gas grill
Lewis & Herschel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 21 08 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We filled three Stumps to capacity, an FE, and one drum. Just had room for it all. Have whoever is buying the meat also buy a gallon of rub, you will need it. Chicken can take a lot of time if they do not buy exactly what you need.

Lot of work but we had fun.

PM me with any questions you may have.
zz-que

PostPosted: Fri May 23 08 8:37 am    Post subject: Thanks Lewis and Herchel Reply with quote

We do not all of that capacity, but I will bring my Webber just in case. I do not yet know how many will be in the class. I sold my Big 'AS Austin, so I do not have the capacity I once had. I may bring up a blow torch just
in case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: