FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best smoker for sausage?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glaufe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 09 2:16 pm    Post subject: best smoker for sausage? Reply with quote

I am shopping for a new smoker, and there are more options than I'd imagined! We primarily make sausage (summer and bauernwurst), and will probaly mostly continue along that vein. However, I would like something that has the potential to do more on occasion, such as smoke fish, poultry, ribs. We are currently using a Lil' Chief, and would like to upgrade. We usually make 25# batches, so we have to smoke in phases, as it doesn't all fit, of course. Also, we'd like something more automatic that we don't have to monitor so frequently. This will hopfully sit on our back patio (protected not covered), so we'd like something durable but decent looking. We are more interested in buying something than making a smoker, but are open to suggestions.
From poking around on the web, I've noticed the Bradley smokers mentioned quite a bit for sausages. I'm used to hanging our sausages, so is there any advantage/disadvantage to laying linked sausages on a rack instead? Digital vs. standard-is that just a matter of convenience and price, or is there more to consider?
We appreciate your time and opinions! Let me know if you need more info
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27 09 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking for the puck or pellet type automatic smokers...then yes...Bradly is pretty much the industry leader....up here in Canada anyways....

the little chief...is second...proly...but on a smaller scale.

Electric or propane you can get....as you say if you do not have the time to monitor...Bradley is good and electric.
glaufe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27 09 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response! Yes, the Bradley seems to get very strong reviews all around. What about between the digital and regular? The digital seems very nice, but is it worth the price difference?
B.L.Z.A four

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22 09 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain smoker and I do alot of venison summer sausage in it. I hang my sausage in the smoker and can get 25#s in it at one time.

[/img]
PETA= People, Eating, Tasty, Animals !!!
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23 09 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find you one with a vertical cabinet.

Look for fuel source (Bradley uses pucks, pellets you have to buy, Great smokey uses propane) so figure out the impact on flavor (gas?) and cost of fuel (pucks vs pellets)

For sausage, you're not cooking as much as smoking, so you have to think the lower temps. You won't be using a big heat source, you just need something consistent.

You can actually use a big a smoker as you want if you can control the heat.

Consider size and dimensions, and ability to hang them.

What price range you looking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: