FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My sausages are done
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 21 08 12:02 am    Post subject: My sausages are done Reply with quote

I couldn't pass a good supermarket sale, so I ended up buying 8 fresh hams for my first attempt to make smoked Chouriço, pronounced {ShóREEssoo}, which is a Portuguese sausage. This sausage is typically mildly spicy and well seasoned which IMO is the best sausage to stuff in lean cuts such as pork loin etc. etc.

Here’s the recipe for 50 lbs of pork, trimmed to + - 10% fat.

1 Qt freshly ground hot and mild peppers (home made)
5 large fresh garlic heads (grated to paste)
6 large sweet peppers ( purée)
2 glasses of red wine
6 glasses of white wine
12 tablespoons of fancy paprika
2 tablespoons of chilly powder
Two shots of whiskey, vodka or any hard liquor.
8 tablespoons of hunter’s meat binder
50 teaspoons of Morton’s Tender Quick
3 Tablespoons of freshly ground black pepper
Sea salt to taste

Add ingredients first and allow to set in for a least a day, fine tune it if needed.

Add the Morton’s Tender Quick and the binder with the last two glassed of very cold white wine (Carlo Rossi Chablis works fine).

Allow to warm to room temperature and smoke with hickory saw dust for 2 hours at 70*, smoke for 2 hours at 100*, smoke for 2 hours at 150*, smoke at 200* until internal temp reaches 155* to 160*.

I burned one 8 lbs bag of lump and added some hickory and apple wood arm size splits.

Steady hickory/apple wood smoke

Six hours after

Done at 155* internal temp.

The goodness, very moist and amazingly tasty Very Happy Very Happy

I couldn't be any happier with the end result, I've made this sausage once before minus the smoking part, the difference is like night and day.

Hey, wait a minute...I almost forgot my Dobie's share, while I smoked the sausage in the reverse flow part of the cooker, the skins and bones were in the front getting some low temp smoke too, once I removed the sausages, the skins and bones went in to cook untill morning using the remaining heat. Some lucky Doberman... Rolling Eyes

two smokers in one

Life's too short to drink bad wine!
bluesman250
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 21 08 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Mighty fine!!
salmonclubber
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 21 08 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe d

thats some good looking sausage glad it turned out for ya
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 21 08 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

That really looks fantastic! Your smoker is really doing you justice and is a testament to your building skill. Really impressive. Cool
JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 21 08 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I can't keep the kids away from them things Laughing

I forgot to mention that I installed wood stove gaskets on the fire box and cooking doors. Now I have near 100% control of the intake air flow.

two smokers in one

BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 22 08 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice color for the rings......how was the taste?

I smoked some butcher bones for my two Goldens 2 days ago...they sure like them
JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 22 08 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQonICE wrote:
nice color for the rings......how was the taste?

I smoked some butcher bones for my two Goldens 2 days ago...they sure like them

If you refer to the skins, I don't know...I can assure you one thing my Doberman loves them. Smile

two smokers in one

The PPP
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 30 08 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really great! How long will the sausage last after they are cooked.
2 Weber Smokey mountains 18, 22.5
1 Weber smokey Joe
JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 31 08 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PPP wrote:
This is really great! How long will the sausage last after they are cooked.

I still have a few fresh sausages but the majority are vacuum sealed and frozen, I believe I can safely keep'em for two years, however I know for sure that we'll eat'em rather quickly Wink

two smokers in one

nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09 08 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man! I was in a hispanic butcher shop last weekend and they had the best looking and smelling sausages in the display case. Now I'll have to go back and get some!

I'm new to this smoking thing, but possibilities like this make me want to learn/do more. I love Chouriço. I'll have to see if I can get some in the raw from the market.

Is that temperature sequence pretty standard for sausages?
kgough

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11 08 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I like the big chunks of meat.
I think I see a grinder in the picture.
What size grinder holes?

Ken
rjmontana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 08 5:49 am    Post subject: Chorizo Reply with quote

Are you referring to Chorizo? A mild-med spicy Spanish/Basque or Mexican sausage. Spanish/Basque version is a link smoked sausage and the Mexican version is a fresh bulk version that is often sold in clear synthetic casings but used in bulk form. I've been eating Chorizo since I was a young kid as my dad grew up eating it in San Diego. Only at the Mexican style for the first half of my life. Usually fried up a skillet of potatoes til 3/4 done then added 1/2 a chub of Chorizo and cooked the sausage down and let the potatoes swim around in all that seasoned pig fat and soak up all those good flavors. Serve with a couple flour tortilla's and you have a breakfast fit for a king. In my early 20's while living in a Western Idaho/Eastern Oregon community that has a strong Basque/Spanish contingency I was introduced to the other Chorizo version, the smoked link. It was served locally at most outdoor community events and sporting/fair venues much like Brats are served in other parts of our fine country. These sausages are usually grilled like any other sausage and served on a bun with the condiments of your choice. I was recently down there visiting family and brought home 20 pounds of the link type Chorizo to package and freeze. I love having them in the freezer for grill nights. Some good ones are made by a company in Boise, ID just down the road from where my inlaws live. I don't know if I prefer the bulk Mexican style or the Basque link style better. Thats why I probably keep plenty of both in the freezer to serve either mood. Lots of recipe's out there for the sausage. You can by the bulk Mexican Chorizo in either Beef or Pork base. I strongly prefer the Pork, my palate is quite partial. Give it a try if you like mild/med spicy sausage with a vinegary background, you my find a new favorite. See ya, RJ in Montana.
broncosmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 08 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the name of the company in Boise? I live here and eat lots of chorizos and like to try diferent ones. I buy mine from a small place in Nampa. I would really like to find a good recipe to do myself. Have found some recipes but no really knock your socks off ones. I used to live in Mtn. Home and the Basco's over there made the best ones for the different fairs.
JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 08 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Chorizo Reply with quote

rjmontana wrote:
Are you referring to Chorizo? A mild-med spicy Spanish/Basque or Mexican sausage. .

No...chouriço, pronounced {ShóREEssoo}, is Portuguese sausage, not Spanish/Basque or Mexican!

two smokers in one

rjmontana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 08 10:05 pm    Post subject: Chorizo for Broncosmoker Reply with quote

Gem State Meats is the packager name if I remember correctly. I can look tonight when I get home and check as I haven't broke down the bulk packs yet so the label is still intact. I buy them at the Red Apple in Ontario. I lived in Caldwell from 88-90 and went to college in the area (Ontario) in 83-84 so I probably ate some of those same sausages you speak of!! The Gem State are not as good as some of the sausages we used to get 20 years ago when the small private shops could do their own thing but they aren't bad. Just like a lot of the good things in life, I think the ever impossing legal issues and liabilities have forced a lot of those older small private meat handlers out of business as the large packers were the only ones that could afford to comply with the health issues. I have sure seen several small butcher shops/ sausage makers go under here in Montana. Strict meat handling regulations have made it tough to make it in these "do it all" type meat stores. Still a few good ones around but they're shrinking annually. Let me know if you have some recommendations for Chorizo source in your area. My wife's family is spread between Ontario and Meridian and we get down there to visit once or twice a year. Was in Ontario over Memorial weekend for a graduation. See ya Broncosmoker, let me know if you have a favorite sausage grinder in mind, I'm always looking for new stuff and need a reason to drive to Nampa/Caldwell to look around. Its been a while.

Thannks, RJ in Montana
rjmontana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 08 10:15 pm    Post subject: JoeD Reply with quote

Sorry to offend you with my question JoeD, looks like we're talking about 2 versions of a similar thing. Just different twist on it from different cultures. Thanks for the education. New foods are fun..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorizo
JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26 08 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No at all RJ,

Why would I get offended anyways ? Smile

two smokers in one

cruzado_xxi
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27 08 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent pics!!!!! you can almost taste them!!!!

(Dont worry, is in english also)
kgough

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11 08 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JoeD,

Recipe is fantastic.
I made a small batch (2.5 lb) to test.
I used a "loin end loin". I had to trim out a big bone. This cut was very lean. I made up the fat content with 1/2 lb bacon scraps.
For chiles I used one Jalepeno and half a Scotch Bonnet, seeds removed.
Smoked over cherry and oak.
Best sausage I've ever made. Maybe best I've tasted...

Ken
salmonclubber
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12 08 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats some great looking sausage joe d good job in making another fine looking sausage gonna have to try that some day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: