FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

award winning pork?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hog wild bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28 08 6:56 pm    Post subject: award winning pork? Reply with quote

I just wanted to get an idea from people who have had success with their pork. And I mean proven success. My pork always comes out perfect as far as tenderness goes but when it comes to flavor it never makes it to the center of the butt. I dont want to take finished product and add seasoning once it is done. I want to tear it open and have great flavor to the core right out of the smoker.

Oh yeah shredded or chuncked, sauced or not. I've tried them all but have not found one that gets me a walk.

I am looking for any advice from anyone who has earned the right to give it by winning in the pork division, I am sure everyone makes great tasting pork but I want to make what the judges consistently scores well.

Thanks in advance for any help
2 Friedrich FMP400's
Stump Elite6
SIMPLE Q
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28 08 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What took me a long time to realize was the fact I wasn't seasoning my butts/shoulders enough. They were fine for a sit down dinner, but for comps they need to be more "potent". Think about it, the judge is going to eat just a small sample from the box, maybe a bite or two, and then he is going to move on to the next box. That being said the entry needs to stand out in appearance, tenderness, and flavor.

You might try putting more bark plugs in the box or put longer pcs that yields bark, smokering, and gut meat all in the same piece. Some even dunk their entry in a hot marinade before building their box, or injecting 30 minutes prior to taking it off the smoker.

Hope this helps and good luck
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28 08 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also add back into your pulled pork some of your rub, and turn it through with your hands, this can add more of the flavor profile you were trying to hit.

I still work here!
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28 08 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well good question, but you "may" not get an exact answer or maybe even valid answer I think, it's so hard to tell by what gets posted.

There are 1,000's of theories and recipes of how to do this, but I'm not sure, if someone is winning, they don't want to post exactly what they've done, too many teams read the internet. I also know of a few teams that post something different than what they're doing for that reason. And I know people that score great in one region, but that exact method doesn't score well with judges in other regions.

My thoughts:

1. Judge. Go out, sign up and do a few contests and you'll get tons of ideas and see why some entries score well and some don't.

2. If what you've done isn't working, shake it up and do the opposite. Here's an example:

Quote:
I dont want to take finished product and add seasoning once it is done.

Why? The judges don't know, don't care how that box was built, made, smoked on, etc. They DO care about taste, tenderness and appearance. I'd suggest seasoning it after it came out of the smoker

Quote:
I've tried them all but have not found one that gets me a walk.
How many contests have you done? Heck, my first 10 contests I think I got 1 pork call.

I've cooked, I've judged, I've taken a class, and I've cooked a heck of a lot of pork to get to what I have today. Is it proven? Ask me in October after the season. Very Happy

[/quote]I just wanted to get an idea from people who have had success with their pork. And I mean proven success.
Quote:

I can't say I'm qualified, but in my last 5 contests. I've gotten at least 3rd place in three of them and one contest I didn't get scored (KCBS made a boo boo) Very Happy

But ask me in October how I'm doing this year. If you want, post what you're doing and we can suggest different methods to help.

Russ

Last edited by SmokinOkie on Mon Apr 28 08 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28 08 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had pretty good results with our pork for the few comps we do each year. We inject ours with a good amount of liquid and add a good bit of rub to the outside as well. We do not sauce at all though when we do our boxes or add any spices or rubs back in. We pull and build our box and turn it in as is.

Here is a picture of ours from last year when we took first place in Gastonia.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28 08 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could spend some money and just take a class and find out what the winning cooks are doing for their pork!!!

Does your presentation look as good as this? You might want to put up a picture of what you are turning in and maybe we could help.

I really doubt if you will get very much great information for free!
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28 08 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Real good looking box! Thanks for sharing.
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28 08 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, is that a turn in for whole hog?

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
hog wild bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29 08 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow lots of help allready right on!

wow old dave no my box dont look like that! But damn well next time I will try!

doesnt look bad I guess you tell me.
2 Friedrich FMP400's
Stump Elite6
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29 08 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From first glance I would say too much green and not enough pork in the box, also I would add more bark pieces. Be careful when you sauce the pork, if the judges don't like your sauce your taste points may not be that high.

The greens do look pretty good though.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29 08 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranucci's Big Butt wrote:
From first glance I would say too much green and not enough pork in the box, also I would add more bark pieces. Be careful when you sauce the pork, if the judges don't like your sauce your taste points may not be that high.

The greens do look pretty good though.

I agree.. too much green.

Not enough bark from what I see.

You might want to divide the box and have half pulled and half chunks. The meat ya got does look good to me.
LIAR #100

Last edited by roxy on Tue Apr 29 08 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29 08 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Dave wrote:
You could spend some money and just take a class and find out what the winning cooks are doing for their pork!!!

Does your presentation look as good as this? You might want to put up a picture of what you are turning in and maybe we could help.

I really doubt if you will get very much great information for free!

Looks to me like pulled, loin and a hunk of a tenderloin.. What comp did you put that box in.. ??

I used the same rub, injection and sauce in 2 comps and placed 1st in one and 8th in the next...????
LIAR #100
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29 08 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet that box is made of nothing but pork butt. It is a KCBS turn in box. You have sliced butt, chopped and sliced "money muscle" in the lower right hand corner.

The money muscle is the one of the end of a pork butt opposite the bone end. Sliced part is because he probably butterflied at least 1 butt to get the sliced part from...The chopped was just showing off....the bed of parsley is covering a bed of chopped lettuce to raise the bottom up and the parsley if trimmed and pushed into the bed of lettuce...It looks like he probably partially parted out the money muscle before cooking to get more of a smokering and bark on the outside.

I wish I could get more a sense of the thickness on the slices of butt since they look nice.

Roxy...1st and 8th with the same everything isnt bad. I have heard of 1st and DAL back to back weekends cooking the same thing.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29 08 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How'd ya place with that box Old Dave..??

Money muscle.. thats what the wife calls it.. Cool Wink
LIAR #100
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 08 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hog wild bbq wrote:
wow lots of help allready right on!

wow old dave no my box dont look like that! But damn well next time I will try!

doesnt look bad I guess you tell me.

I'd double the amount of pork that you have and definitely add some bark. That's where your flavor is
David
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 08 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said your flavor doesn't get to the center of the butt, Do you inject with anything? We have won 3- 1st, 4-2nd, 3-3rds, and several top 10 with our pork. Sorry I don't take pics, but we do inject with my pork injection.
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 08 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Dave wrote:

Yes, that is a cutting edge KCBS turn in.

Dave, that box looks great. How many butts did you cook to compile it?
Weber 22" Kettle
YankeeBBQ

PostPosted: Sun May 04 08 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't re-season your pork after it's cooked then your missing out. I use one rub to cook the butt and a different rub to finish it. It really completes the entry. My team has been first in Pork in the New England BBQ society team of the year for the past 2 years. We took second in Pork in the Royal Open last year (tied for 1st). What you turn in all depends on what is good that day. You need to get a feel for it.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 04 08 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgPhan wrote:
I would bet that box is made of nothing but pork butt. It is a KCBS turn in box. You have sliced butt, chopped and sliced "money muscle" in the lower right hand corner.

The money muscle is the one of the end of a pork butt opposite the bone end. Sliced part is because he probably butterflied at least 1 butt to get the sliced part from...The chopped was just showing off....the bed of parsley is covering a bed of chopped lettuce to raise the bottom up and the parsley if trimmed and pushed into the bed of lettuce...It looks like he probably partially parted out the money muscle before cooking to get more of a smokering and bark on the outside.

I wish I could get more a sense of the thickness on the slices of butt since they look nice.

Roxy...1st and 8th with the same everything isnt bad. I have heard of 1st and DAL back to back weekends cooking the same thing.

The thing you got to realize is we dont have the numbers at a Canadian BBQ comp that ya have down south. We are lucky to have 20 teams at a comp so the way I look at it that is a bigger swing that say if there was 50 of 60 teams competing.
LIAR #100
hogleg64

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04 08 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we got the same problim buddy,I'v been toying with cutting our butts in half before we put them on,but I dont know if this is even leagle in comps.
I know it works at home as far as getting deeper penetration of flavor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: