FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Propane Tank Gauges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beachsands

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 08 3:37 am    Post subject: Propane Tank Gauges Reply with quote

Any one use the gages that you screw on to a propane tank that are suppose to tell you how much propane is in the tank? I was wondering how reliable they are before I went to Lowes and shelled out $25 bucks for a piece of junk.

Thanks, Joel
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 08 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a small tank like a 20 pound LP tank, which you re-fill BY WEIGHT, nothing is more reliable than a bathroom scale. Be sure to know the empty weight, usually around 17 pounds, I believe.

No gadget is reliable if it gauges pressure or you have to wet down the side of the tank, etc.

I always keep a spare tank so I don't have to mess around PERIOD.

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 08 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, it's OK. It won't tell you how much gas is in tank, just indicate how close your are to running out. It goes from green to yellow to red real quick.
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 08 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Gauges Reply with quote

beachsands wrote:
Any one use the gages that you screw on to a propane tank that are suppose to tell you how much propane is in the tank? I was wondering how reliable they are before I went to Lowes and shelled out $25 bucks for a piece of junk.

Thanks, Joel

I saw these at Lowes the other day and wondered if it would work or not. Glad I saved my $$ -- sorry to hear you weren't so lucky.

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
Tater_68
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 08 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same gauge that has a leak detector and says it will shut off the propane if it picks up a leak. I ask because I'm building a smoker with a propane burner and a tray to sit wood on to smoke and although I would never leave it unattended for an extended period I would like the added safety feature, heres a link. http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5TVL%2DTVL%2D212P
Pelletsmokin'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 08 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that exact gauge for my propane tank, seems to work pretty good, pretty accurate, but if you want to save $20, just weigh the tank, I'm sure doing a quick search on the net will give you approximate weights for how full or empty a standard tank is.
Reggae Q
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 08 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question. Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm curious. How much does a cook use? High, med, low??? How long do you have?

For example. Say you have 2 lbs. in physical weight left. What does that actually mean?
USDA Monkey
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 08 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggae Q wrote:
Question. Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm curious. How much does a cook use? High, med, low??? How long do you have?

For example. Say you have 2 lbs. in physical weight left. What does that actually mean?

That depends on when the train left chicago and how fast it was going.

I bought a gauge last year, used it on one tank of gas and have never put it back on. I just didn't care for it. I know how the burners react when the tank is getting low plus I have a spare if it goes out mid-cook. I feel it was a waste of money.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 08 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggae Q wrote:

It means that your tank is about empty! Laughing How many BTU's does your grill use in an hour? Bet my three H burner job runs out a tank quicker than your grill. Wink

The average 20 pound steel propane tank weighs in around 19-20 pounds, and the tare weight is stamped into the handle.

A gallon of propane weighs in at approx 4.23 pounds. So a 20 pound propane tank holds about 4 gallons of LP.

And no, those gauges are not that accurate for the above mentioned reasons- they read head pressure not liquid left in the tank................
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19 08 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The math is easy. For the price of an unreliable gadget, you can buy a spare tank. Even if you have the convenience of a LP tank refill or exchange center nearby, who wants to be interrupted during a good BBQ?

I actually have three tanks for two devices, the smoker and the grill. Even if TWO tanks were empty, I could work it out to get by...

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
Smokinfunk
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20 08 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading this method somewhere: pour hot water down the side of the tank. Wait a few seconds after that and feel the side of the tank. The propane will disperse the heat faster then the empty part and you will feel the difference.

It's worked pretty well for me so far.
Weber One-touch 22.5" grill
Weber One-touch 26" grill
============================

If God hadn't meant for us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: