FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for advice on a new cooker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iahawgheaven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07 08 8:58 pm    Post subject: Looking for advice on a new cooker Reply with quote

I would like to start off and say Hi to everyone as I am new to the ring. Very Happy

I am looking for some advice on getting a new cooker. All I have ever used is an electric. Which I feel serves it's purpose. Got me into smoking seriously. Or as seriously as one can be with electric. I am now wanting to get into the real essance of cooking charcol and wood.

I looked at a WSM but I think that I would prefer to have an offset. I was thinking of a horizon offset perhaps. But I also like the idea of building my own cooker. what do you think is best of someone new to this type of cooking?k
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07 08 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never owned a WSM, but I hear nothing but great things about them.

I am currently building an offset on a trailer. I have only been barbecuing 3-4 years now, and I have been using a cheap Chargriller offset, and it has served me well. My decision to build my own was based on a few things. I wanted to be more mobile, a huge steel tank fell into my hands, and I always wanted to get into burning sticks because I think that to be more "authentic" if there is such a thing in barbecue.

If you are somewhat handy, or have friends who are, I would say build your own. Not that there is anything wrong with buying one, and I have peeked at the horizons before, they look nice. As with everything else, when you build your own, you get exactly what you want.
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07 08 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for something mobile or a backyard smoker? I have a Bar-b-chef from Babeque Galore and love it for a backyard smoker but am looking to go larger and am thinking the Lang 60 mobile. Good luck on your search.
iahawgheaven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08 08 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff any tips on what not to do if I build my own. It doesn't look that complicated but looks can be decieveing.

Skidder I am mainly looking for a backyarder that I may be able to take to a few small county fair type comps.
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08 08 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iahawgheaven wrote:
Jeff any tips on what not to do if I build my own. It doesn't look that complicated but looks can be decieveing.

You may get better answers on that from people who have actually built pits. I am reading, learning, and trying this for the first time. I have seen builds on here that could be done in a day for under $100 bucks, as well as very elaborate builds that would take months, big $$, and some serious know how.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08 08 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some inspiration to build one!

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14575&highlight=bride

Cooks pretty good, still working the system out! Wink

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
iahawgheaven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08 08 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the inspiration I absolutely love the idea of building my own but cautious that when I am done I will have a pile of scrap and that's it. Anyone think that it is better to buy a COS mod it first to get a better idea of what you want in a smoker? Just a thought. Maybe mod a cheapy this year and then build one over the winter or next year when I might have a better idea of what I want in a cooker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: