FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trial Turkey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1977TRANSAM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 10:48 pm    Post subject: trial Turkey Reply with quote

Ok i did a search and found a bunck of good info. Can someone let know if i am going to go about this correctly.

turkey, Not sure how big it is in the freezer.
225 deg 30-35 min/lb cook time.
inject w/ melted butter, rubb the underside of the skin with butter and seasonings, out some sliced apple and onions in cavery.

Cook the first two hours on the bird belly then flip.

Ok. do i put bird in a pan or put a drip pan under it so i can bast or get a liquide to put in my mister?

Do i mist w/ apple cider or the drippings?

this is a trial run for thanks giving. any help would be nice. we are doing it this sat.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never flipped mine because there is minimal uniform fat to be rendered. Normally I wrap mine in two thin layer of cheese cloth to prevent burning but allow the smoke through. And place it on a small rack in a pan to catch the drippings. They make great basting juice and gravy if you don’t let it get burnt. You can mix a little olive oil in your butter injection to make it go farther if you want, include the apple juice for the mist. Don’t use the drippings in a spray bottle because it will clog the bottle.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: trial Turkey Reply with quote

1977TRANSAM wrote:
Ok i did a search and found a bunck of good info. Can someone let know if i am going to go about this correctly.

turkey, Not sure how big it is in the freezer.
225 deg 30-35 min/lb cook time.
inject w/ melted butter, rubb the underside of the skin with butter and seasonings, out some sliced apple and onions in cavery.

Cook the first two hours on the bird belly then flip.

Ok. do i put bird in a pan or put a drip pan under it so i can bast or get a liquide to put in my mister?

Do i mist w/ apple cider or the drippings?

this is a trial run for thanks giving. any help would be nice. we are doing it this sat.

I actually did my first turkey this past weekend. I actually cooked him in the pan to make it easy to get him off the smoker when he was done. I sprayed him with apple juice about every hour, and had a number of slices of bacon laying on top of the breast when I flipped him after the first 2 hours. There were not alot of drippings which was a little disappointing, but the bird was real moist. I know alot of people brine their birds, but I did not. Hope that helps.
sledgehammer03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read through the other threads in this post, there is a ton of excellent information, shame to type it out again.
1977TRANSAM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: trial Turkey Reply with quote

mding38926 wrote:

I actually did my first turkey this past weekend. I actually cooked him in the pan to make it easy to get him off the smoker when he was done. I sprayed him with apple juice about every hour, and had a number of slices of bacon laying on top of the breast when I flipped him after the first 2 hours. There were not alot of drippings which was a little disappointing, but the bird was real moist. I know alot of people brine their birds, but I did not. Hope that helps.

What temp did you cook at? how long did it take?
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 250 degrees for say 5 hours.........was a 14 pounder
(SIC) BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03 05 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread, I will be trying my first Turkey this Saturday. I picked up a 11 pounder to give it a practice run, she is thawing as we speak and I will try and prepare it this evening.

Jason

[Sci]ence + A[r]t = (SIC) BBQ
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03 05 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try smokerg's recipe. http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1519&highlight=

Brine it, cook it at 225-250 until the internal temp is 165. Put apples and onion in the cavity. I never basted, never sprayed, never lifted the lid.

You can start them on their breast, then flip them over, but you don't have too. The cheesecloth will make a better presentation if you carve on the table.

If you follow the above, you will be guaranteed a very moist and delicious bird. If you cook it too hot or too long, well, we've all had at least one T-Day where that happened.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03 05 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(SIC) BBQ wrote:
Good thread, I will be trying my first Turkey this Saturday. I picked up a 11 pounder to give it a practice run, she is thawing as we speak and I will try and prepare it this evening.

Jason

Looking forward to seeing the prep and smoke. Are you planning to brine or just go with a slather/rub as per your norm?
(SIC) BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 05 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I will be sticking with what I like, I will be doing a paste/rub and a little something else for moisture. I am just about to get the prep going so I will be posting my tutorial soon.

Jason

[Sci]ence + A[r]t = (SIC) BBQ
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 05 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(SIC) BBQ wrote:
Yeah I will be sticking with what I like, I will be doing a paste/rub and a little something else for moisture. I am just about to get the prep going so I will be posting my tutorial soon.

Jason

Sounds great. God knows it always looks good when you do it. I actually went back and forth over the brining issue, but in the end decided to just do it the same way I would a chicken. I went fairly basic and just used a rub under the skin all over the breast. Then I covered it with bacon in the smoker at the 2 hour mark. The bird was really moist and tasted awesome.

Mike
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 05 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya got to brine the bird so it will be super moist in the breast meat. I did not spray or worry about it drying out, brining prevents this. Breast down to start and flip it over half way. The only problem I found is the smoked skin thing with turkey skin even more unedible than chicken skin. Remember to save all the skin and bones to make some killer turkey soup that will blow your mind.
LIAR #100
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 05 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
Ya got to brine the bird so it will be super moist in the breast meat. I did not spray or worry about it drying out, brining prevents this. Breast down to start and flip it over half way. The only problem I found is the smoked skin thing with turkey skin even more unedible than chicken skin. Remember to save all the skin and bones to make some killer turkey soup that will blow your mind.

You are so right on the turkey soup Roxy. What a great stock it made.

I just do not agree that you HAVE to brine. I did not brine and the breast meat was not even the slightest dry. I also have to say that although the skin was not crisp per se, we loved the taste(bacon might have helped there)............then again, we LOVE the skin on the chickens when I smoke them (tastes like a honey rotisserie)......

Guess this just proves that everyone has different tastes.
sledgehammer03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 05 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most turkeys these days come pre-brined. At least the one's in my price range. I just can't justify a fresh turkey for $3 or more per pound, when the store brand, that is now $5 total, tastes just as good, IMO.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 05 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sledgehammer03 wrote:
Most turkeys these days come pre-brined. At least the one's in my price range. I just can't justify a fresh turkey for $3 or more per pound, when the store brand, that is now $5 total, tastes just as good, IMO.

No doubt on the costs......I know right now we are looking at $0.49/pound, but I expect that we are likely to see $0.29/pound in a couple of weeks. Good info on the fact that most are already pre-brined, I really had no idea.
kjash13
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 05 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom has used a recipe for years that has the turkey marinading in olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, etc. at least 24 hours... the skin comes out amazing, tons of flavor in the meat, and that's just cooked in the oven....
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 05 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can chew smoked chicken or turkey skin..>?? You go to have teeth like a pit bull. The skin on my smoked poultry is like some sort of organic glad wrap. It does taste great, I just cant chew it.
LIAR #100
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 05 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
You can chew smoked chicken or turkey skin..>?? You go to have teeth like a pit bull. The skin on my smoked poultry is like some sort of organic glad wrap. It does taste great, I just cant chew it.

Woof Woof, lol...............

Actually we had no problem at all. Heck I turned away from carving the turkey for 2 minutes to grab the baby and put her into her high chair and my wife and 5 year old were just manhandling the skin.
1977TRANSAM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29 05 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we did the trial and did the Thanksgiving Turkey....

Good eaten. thanks everyone for the tips and advice.

Thanksgiving Bird's=
we halved two 12 lbs birds
then rubbed the birds down tuesday night.
Birds were injected w/ butter on wed night.

Smoker was fired up and cleaned weds. morning birds started to cook around 8 am. we sprayed the birds every hour with apple juice. The fuel was charcoal and soaked Hickory chuncks.

http://www.pontiaczone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7552&d=1132943369

http://www.pontiaczone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7551&d=1132943369

we ate out wounderfull meal around 2:30
kellylizjones

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29 08 11:49 am    Post subject: first turkey,,, Reply with quote

did our first turkey thanksgiving,brined 36 hours, simple brine few herbs didn't get crazy,, was a 12 lb bird, found 2 gallon brine was more than enough to cover it, in a 5 gallon pail{food grade plastic} would think maybe 1 gallon brine per 6lbs would be a good guestimation?..
Washed the bird thoroughly while the smoker was heating up, peeled skin back and rubbed with a store bought rub,, snuck in a little oldbay seasoning{wouldn't use old bay again } wrapped with butter soaked cheese cloth, tried to maintain a 300degree temp with lump charcoal and apple wood{seasoned} was thinking a 4 hour cook time BUt it was 38* out ,, and could NOT keep temps up,,,setteled on a 250* temp,,, , flipped bird and spun it every hour and a half,,have a side mounted charbroil smoker{cheap wouldn't buy another}.. basted also with homade cranberry, tangerine and molasses baste at hour and a half intervels ,, the baste did not penetrate the cheescloth but figured it couldn't hurt,, turned into a 5 hour smoke when the breast hit 165, thighs & legs like 185,,, let the bird rest 30 minutes or so,,, carved and served,,was DELISH,, actually better day after,,my wifes 20lb bird done in oven in an oven bag was MORE moist,,, would not smoke another bird on Thanksgiving,, would do salmon,, two birds just WAY too much Turkey,LOL, need some variation ,,might try salmon Christmas eve,,,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: