FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catering for the Army

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFC Isaza

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23 05 7:04 pm    Post subject: Catering for the Army Reply with quote

Ok,

We are expecting maybe 600 soldiers and family members for our christmas party on 14 December, problem is I dont have the punds per 100 for turkey and ham. Do any of you catering experts happen to know the numbers? We will be carving the meat on site, I just need a round about figure so I dont come up short. Thanks so much,

"Serving those who serve"
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24 05 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming the ham and turkey will be served together, same meal. Not sure if your talking whole turkeys or turkey rolls, also not sure if the hams are fresh or precooked.

For the turkey, if its whole turkeys I'd figure on 1/2lb/person precooked wt. or 1/4lb/person precooked if its turkey roll. The ham I'd figure at 1/3/lb/person precooked for fresh or 1/4lb/person for the heat and serve variety. Some will prefer just turkey or just ham.

I tell people when buying my turkeys to figure on 1lb/person precooked weight if its the only meat. These figures also take into account that I'd rather be long than short.

Hope this helps...
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29 05 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is pretty much in the ballpart on the pounds needed. With a group that size, we use boneless turkey breast which has a high yield and is easy to serve. Spiral sliced hams also work out well for large groups. Depending on the amount of sides served, you can plan on two nice slices of each meat per guest to keep everyone happy. Plan in an extra 10% food for a group that size, especially with a "meat and potatoes" crowd! You can lightly smoke the turkey and ham to bring it up to temp. We serve ham with a honey mustard sauce on the side, and of course good gravy for the bird! If you have any questions, please leave me a PM with a phone number and I will give you a call! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: