FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here is Your Chance for Fame
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23 05 6:00 am    Post subject: Here is Your Chance for Fame Reply with quote

After I put my first BBQ College class together I noticed that I had really accumulated a lot of information, techniques, and recipes for smoking and barbecuing. All of the cookbooks I had read focused on grilling and a lot of the info I had put together, you really couldn’t find anywhere else but through talking to actual pitmasters or reading all the great tips and goodies ya’ll have heaped upon me. As a practice most University professors normally end up writing a book in preparation of their Doctorate so here goes mine.

I have gotten with Gary and have received his permission to produce a smoking and barbecuing cookbook from all the members of the smoke ring. What I plan to do is collect recipes, tips, techniques and photos that members send me over the next year and publish a really big book mid 2007.

Here is my proposal, I have about half of the book researched and if you (the members) would like to be in it, I will list your contribution in the book along with full credit and photos. I expect that I will get a lot of good stuff, doubles of some info, and then some things that just don’t stack up, so everything may not make it into the book. If you guys agree to this, then once the book is published and some profits start rolling in I will set aside a potion of the profits to fund some fun thing for us as a group to do.

So what do you say? Are you ready for your fifteen minutes of fame? Gary is going to put a sticky on this post in the cookbook section of this forum so material can be turned in and some order can be kept. I will be downloading the info each week in case we get hacked. And finally everyone who submits info that is used, will have to sign a release saying that the info/ photo/ recipe, is theirs and I can use it in the book.

Just so we are all on the same page, Here are the chapters in the book. when you submit something, kinda tell me where you believe it should go.

Chapters
1. Introduction
2. History
3. Food Safety
4. Cooking Methods
a. Grilling
b. Barbecuing
c. Smoking
d. Pit Roasting
5. What type of Fuel Should I Use
a. Gas
b. Wood
c. Charcoal
d. Pellet
6. Gas Cooker Set Up
7. Wood / Charcoal Cooker Set Up
8. What Should I Look for in a Cooker?
a. Grills
b. Smokers
c. Home Made Designs
d. Competition
9. I’m ready to Cook, Now what do I Do?
a. Meats
b. Rubs
c. Sauces
d. Spices
10. Is it Done Yet?
11. Competition Cooking
12. Recipes from “The Smoke Ring”
a. Beef
b. Pork
c. Chicken
d. Fish
e. Fruits and Vegetables
f. Weird Stuff
13. Conclusion / Acknowledgements
14. Where do I buy BBQ / Smoking Equipment, Rubs and Spices?[/b]

Last edited by Alien BBQ on Tue Oct 25 05 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea! Can't wait to see how this builds up! Very Happy
kjash13
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty cool to me....
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien,

Good luck on the book, sounds like a fun project.

Unfortunately, since you're doing this for profit and not just for a degree, I can not authorize you to use my name, posts or any information I provide on this or any other forum for your book.

I've spent a lot of years building my own reputation and have been in discussions for my own book, so I know you'll understand.

Best of luck with the book, it's a lot of work, but it's a labor of love.

Smokin'
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I understand. All books are for profit, I wish I could meet a publisher that would work for gratis. Good luck on your book as well. Do you have a publishing date?
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27 05 11:58 pm    Post subject: A Clarification Reply with quote

I have received some questions from forum members about what I agreed to with Alien so I would like to clarify. I did not grant permission for him to take any information he chooses from anywhere in the Smoke Ring forums and use it in a book. I gave him permission to create this thread to solicit contributions and use any material that forum members choose to contribute by posting it in this thread. So, if you want to contribute, post it here, if not, then don't. It's your choice.

Information posted on the Smoke Ring forums cannot be used for other purposes without permission. I will not grant any 3rd party the permission to use tips, techniques and recipes you post without your permission.

I hope this is clear.

Garry
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28 05 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And..... I havent used any info that you guys haven't sent. In the publishing world it it is not common knowledge and accepted practice or information you came up with originally, you have to reference the work and give credit to the author. In turn if I use original material from one of you guys without your permission I have to take it out of the book. This could be very costly so it is smater to just not put it in. If you are worried that your photo or secret recipe might make it into print, the same rules apply. I got with Gary on using the logo referenced and allowing the group the opperitunity to contribute something to prosperity. There enough recipes on the net, in books, and from the back of my mind to fill more than one cookbook. I just wanted to give back to the forum something in return for the hours of enjoyment I recieve. Bottom line, if you want to contribute then do so, if you don't want to, don't. The book will still be published without your smiling mug or your awsome sauce written down for history. I just thought you guys would want to be in on the fun.
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01 05 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just now saw this thread, Alien. Sounds like a really fun project. I'll be glad to contribute what little I know. I'm interested to see how it works out.

-Hog
bororyan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19 05 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd be happy to contribute a recipe or two...is there an e-mail addy i should forward the info to?
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03 06 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien, you can count me in! It also sounds like you are willing to share, which is a really nice (and fair) thing to do!

Gary, thanks so much for clearing up the misconception Very Happy

For all of you out there that think you have the secret to the holy BBQ grail, I can assure you that somebody,somewhere, has done the same thing at some time. Laughing There really are not to many secrets out there anymore! Wink

SmokinOkie, I hope the students in your BBQ class sign a non-disclosure agreement! (your profile lists that you teach BBQ!)

You have my permission to publish anything I have added to this site. I would not have posted into cyberspace if I was worried about someone stealing my good ideas! Very Happy
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 06 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
SmokinOkie, I hope the students in your BBQ class sign a non-disclosure agreement! (your profile lists that you teach BBQ!)

Very Happy

Nope they'll get a handout with a copyright symbol. I post information freely on the internet to educate and when a cookbook author asks to use it as Alien wants to and I say no, you should respect my right and opinion to do so.

Best of luck with the Book Alien, wish you all the success in educating the masses about Q.

Smokin'
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 06 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear up any miscommunication, I do respect Russ's position not to include his information.

My point is that when you post information to a forum like this, you are already sharing said info. with the rest of the world. At that point, any intellectual property claims you might have pretty much go out the window into cyberspace.

I have already gone a few rounds with people that have secret sauce, secret rubs etc. Obviously, everyone has the right not to share that kind of information if they dont want to. But once you share it on the web........

I love all you guys, and dont want any hard feelings! Very Happy
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 06 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries here, if I was too harsh, too direct, blame it on 20 years in the military and a weeks hangover from a week in Vegas.

Really is a good project, I'll probably buy a copy for my collection, along with BBQ Ax #007. Alien's doing a great job!

Now, on to other posts, there were 117 since I last posted....
wittdog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09 06 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to add a how to utalize your leftovers in the recipes section. I always cook more meat than I need and my wife finds some great ways to use the leftovers. Corned Beef Hash made from smoked Corn Beef, making a pulled pork omlet or smoked chicken tacos, a smokey corn chowder made out of a turkey carcass.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09 06 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea there wittdog! Very Happy

Michael, what's the status on the cookbook?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10 06 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working on it every week and it is coming along. It is just another one of my many projects. The last few months I have been focused on my thesis on educating adults using technology in the classroom and over the internet. By the end of the summer I should be looking for a publisher hopefully.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10 06 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great- glad to hear you are staying busy! Very Happy
Marc
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11 06 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien,

I have some photos from 2006 comptitions featuring different types of smokers used by the competitors. It's really interesting to see the variety. I also plan on attending/particiapting in 15 competitions in 2007 and will be taking many more photos at these events.

Please contact me if you are interested in using any of these.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29 06 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a winner!
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13 06 5:41 am    Post subject: Barbecue book Reply with quote

Alien,

Sincere Best Wishes on Your Book Project!

I,Myself could not even Fathom taking on a Project of such
Proportion but then Again...Ahh, Never Mind the "then again" Thang!

" 'Jus Plain and Simple..."

Good Luck Alien... Very Happy

Best Regards, Tony Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookbooks All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: