FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got to Austin, Where should I eat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattStrube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 7:55 am    Post subject: Just got to Austin, Where should I eat? Reply with quote

I just moved to Austin and have been to Rudy's, Jim Bob's, and Cherry Creek Catfish house. While they were all pretty good, I'm looking for knock out awesome BBQ. I like smoked baby back ribs and pulled pork Alabama style. I've had some side of the road BBQ pulled pork from Alabama and it was awesome. Can I find these two things in Austin, and if so where.
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it ain't barbecue but try Threadgill's. Good down home Texas cooking. Excellent chicken fried steaks.

Garry
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Threadgills for the chicken fried steak. You're outta luck for pulled pork, its beef in Austin. Try the Iron Works downtown for ribs. Even better venture out to Elgin, east of Austin on 290, to the Southside Market for ribs and sausage. Southwest of Austin in Driftwood is The Salt Lick for brisket. Stubb's, which is downtown, has decent Q, but GREAT live music, would make a point to check it out. The best margaritas in town are at Chuys just south of Town Lake, get a frozen dot. Austin is a great town, enjoy!!

My 2 cents worth...
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up a copy of "Legends of Texas BBQ". Lot's of good places with a rich history near you. Did you have the brisket at Rudy's? That's some pretty good stuff. Lockhart is near you too. There are a couple good joints you want to try over there.

http://www.lockhart-tx.org/BBQ.htm
MattStrube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those places out and need to get out to the salt lick. I heard they don't serve liquor there? That's not cool. I'm sure the food makes up for it.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driftwood is dry, so you will need to BYOL....and they don't take credit cards or checks, cash only.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fav. upscale place is a brewpub called the "Bitter End" great food great beer.

GIANT BBQ
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are new to Austin then you will want to make the trip to (New Canaan Farms Jams & Jellies (68). Hwy. 290 W., Dripping Springs) they have a lot of custom gourmet jams and jellies that I used when smoking turkeys and the such. Believe me, it is out of the way, (in the hill country) but well worth the trip. If you are into BBQ then you will like their peach salsa or jalapeño jelly.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dripping springs is just a suburb of Austin these days. A pleasent drive and not bad at all. Lots to explore in Texas.

GIANT BBQ
MattStrube

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, guys, so I'm kind of sick of Tex-Mex everyone is talking it up like it's so great. But I'm from California where Mexican food is made by Mexican people and all the froo froo crap is non-existant. Any good REAL mexican restaurants, taco stands/trucks. Anything without tex-mex please???
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm not as well traveled as I thought I was but whats up with the dry areas your talking about. I have never heard of this before, thought that was done away with the end of prohibition..?? When you say dry is it a crime to have booze...?? or just sell it.?? Could some one please fill me in on this.
LIAR #100
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a crime to have it....just sell it. I thought that Driftwood was in Hays county, which I don't think is dry, not sure.....Adolpho would know. Could be they just didn't want to pay for a liquor license, but that doesn't make sense either cuz liquor is a huge profit generator for any restaurant. So, that being said, I'm guessing its a dry county, but its no problem. We always pack a collapsible cooler with us when we fly down. We'll load it up with Negra Modelo or Shiner Bock and head on down. Good stuff!!
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattStrube wrote:
Ok, guys, so I'm kind of sick of Tex-Mex everyone is talking it up like it's so great. But I'm from California where Mexican food is made by Mexican people and all the froo froo crap is non-existant. Any good REAL mexican restaurants, taco stands/trucks. Anything without tex-mex please???

Thats funny Matt Laughing But here in San Antonio we make fun of California and Arizona Mexican food as being froo froo with the sour cream, olives and all. We have more Mexicans making Mexican food per capita than Cal or Az or Nm. All that Texas has is Tex Mex! Thats why they call it Tex Mex. You dig? I'm sorry but Mexican food in the interior of Mexico does not resemble what we are used to in any of our states. San Antonio IS Tex Mex. Thats why Texans invented BBQ! Wink I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting of Tex Mex but here in SA it can be very good. Very simple and stright forward. Mexican food in Austin just SUCKS. Come on down to SA. I'll show you where to eat some good, Honest Tex Mex.

GIANT BBQ
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,
What exactly are you looking for in Mexican Food? Do you mean roadhouse Mexican where to have to check out the bathroom before you eat there in anticipation of spending some time there after the first bite? Or Taco Bell? A lot of Austin is geared for the Silicon Valley crowed that moved there after the chip disaster of the 90’s. In the city you will find the normal array of Gringo food prepared for the masses. If you want authentic Mexican food, just like mamacita use to make, you are going to have to visit the outskirts of Austin or venture into the old town. Both are available in Austin, it just depends how brave you really are.
MattStrube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24 05 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I'm talking about the same sort of stuff that you can get at the roadside taco stands in places like Puerto Pinasco Mexico. You may need to visit the shady bathroom, but not a necessity. In Chicago, there are great restaurants such as Topolobombo and Frontera Grill (actually the same owner) and in Arizona there's El Charro http://www.elcharrocafe.com/menu.asp one of the best in the country. They have carne seca, a dried carne asada that is slowly cooked on the roof of the restaurant and put in tacos, burritos and more. But most of all I'd love to find a taco stand where I can get tacos for $1 or $2 that have fresh tortillas, great salsa, maybe some onions, cilantro, and always served with a lime and a radish.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24 05 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Garibaldis on south Congress if its still there. Haven't been there in a few years. They have a few texmex items like chile relleno, but they are mostly authentic and have an awesome pork dish called cochinita pibil(or somethin' like that) which is pork marinated in orange and peppers, and roasted in banana leaves.....awesome!!
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24 05 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattStrube wrote:
.... You may need to visit the shady bathroom, but not a necessity. In Chicago, there are great restaurants such as Topolobombo and Frontera Grill (actually the same owner)

You made me laugh with this one. Over in the competition forum we're talking about the top cooks are from Oklahoma, and now you mention one.

Rick Bayless.

Hi mother and my mother were golfing partners here in Oklahoma City. Rick actually got his start with the family business...get this, BBQ. Yup, they owned a Q restaurant in OKC.

I highly recommend his books.

Just like Q, you can't get the best Q eating out. His books are really good for traditional Mexican food.

Thanks for the memories.

Smokin'
MattStrube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, his restaurants are amazing. Pretty good for a non native to make such amazing mexican food.
adolpho
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05 05 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for such a late Re: in this topic.
As for whether Hays county is dry, about half the towns are dry. I live in a wet town. Some of the old towns never changed their laws after prohibition. They lasted so long like this, that some towns feel it's a tradition to stay dry.
As for Tex-Mex food. I lived in Tucson for 2 years and never got used to the Mexican food. It was more mexican style, but mainly from the region of Sonora. So it didn't open up to a wide variety of mexican foods. The best thing there was the Chimichanga, and that's an american influence on a mexican dish. My visits to California were pretty much the same experience as Arizona. I don't know about some of you guys, but I prefer my menudo red, not white. I'm still in shock with the menudo from Arizona. Now Texas, California and Arizona all have interior mexican food restaurants, just not as abundant as their "home-town" influenced restaurants. In Austin, there are great interior restaurants like: Azul Tequila and La Fonda San Miguel. The street side stands are probably as close to Mexico as you can get, but you have to venture into the east side. There is nothing wrong with the east side, just a different culture. Riverside Dr. and Pleasant Valley have great taqueria stands (at a great price, too). But alas, Tex-Mex is the best. I mean cheese enchiladas made with chili-con-carne as the sauce is da bomb!!!! Fajitas are a grilling norm around here. I'm starting to get too hungry. Sorry guys, I gotta get me some Tex-Mex.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: