FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banana Pudding Recipe wanted
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dessert Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHELLFISH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26 08 8:57 am    Post subject: Banana Pudding Recipe wanted Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good recipe? This goes real well with Q! Thanks!
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27 08 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana Pudding My Way

14 oz. can eagle brand milk
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 to 3 cups milk
1 large box instant vanilla pudding and pie filling (5.1 oz)
8 oz. cool whip
1 box vanilla wafers
3 or 4 bananas

In large bowl whip cream cheese and Eagle Brand milk until smooth. Add milk and pudding. Stir or beat. Chill 5 minutes. Add cool whip and beat.

In bowl of your choice, 2 1/2 quart. Layer of Cookies, layer of Bananas, and layer of Pudding, repeat ending with last layer of Cookies.

Note: May use instant banana cream pudding and pie filling instead of vanilla pudding. May also use 2 cups whipping cream, whipped, in place of cool whip.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27 08 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one I found that the family love, I found it a while ago and every time I make it the kids flip out on it.

http://www.texascooking.com/features/apr99bestbanana.htm

Banana Pudding

* 1 cup Sugar
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups milk (whole or 2%)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 tablespoon butter (not margarine)
* 4 egg yolks (large eggs or better)
* box of Vanilla wafers
* 4-5 ripe bananas

Meringue:

* 4 egg whites, at room temperature
* 5 tablespoons sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375F.

Baking Tip
The size and shape of the baking dish are important.

If you don't have a 9" x 9" baking dish, you really should. It's a handy size to have. I've made this banana pudding in a round casserole dish, and it just doesn't turn out as well.

Peel the bananas and slice into 3/8-inch rounds; use a ruler (I'm kidding). Cover the banana slices with plastic wrap to keep them from darkening and quickly make your pudding.

Combine the sugar, flour and salt in a bowl, and stir well to mix. Mash out any flour lumps with the back of your spoon. Set aside.

In a heavy saucepan, beat the egg yolks well (just use a fork or whisk, but beat them well). Over medium heat, add the flour mixture to the egg yolks, alternately with the milk and vanilla, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil and, when the mixture begins to thicken, add the butter, continuing to stir. Keep boiling and stirring until mixture reaches a nice pudding consistency. [Note: If you're working with an electric cooktop, adjust the heat so that it's hot enough to boil, but not so hot that the pudding scorches.] Remove from heat.

Place a layer of banana slices in the baking dish on top of the vanilla wafers. Don't stint and put one slice of banana per wafer. Line those banana slices up edge-to-edge. Pour, spreading as necessary, half of the pudding over the banana layer. Put down another layer of vanilla wafers, another layer of banana slices, and cover with the remaining pudding.

Beat the egg whites at high speed until they form soft peaks. Add the cream of tartar. At high speed, gradually add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold the vanilla into the meringue, and spread the meringue over the pudding, sealing it at the sides of the dish.

Bake in a preheated 375F oven until meringue browns, 12 to 15 minutes, depending upon your oven.

The size and shape of the baking dish are important. If you don't have a 9" x 9" baking dish, you really should. It's a handy size to have. You can get this baking dish from Amazon by clicking here. I've made this banana pudding in a round casserole dish, and it just doesn't turn out as well. Another thing to wonder about.

This recipe makes 6 or 8 servings, and you can count on people asking for seconds. Any leftovers should be covered and refrigerated. And, yes, it's hard to cover anything with a meringue top and anyway, banana pudding is not as attractive after it has been refrigerated. But it's still just as delicious.

I still work here!
aminata

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27 08 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another recipe I found online. It would be helpfull to read the reviews for a few tips before trying it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Pudding-IV/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS
224 g cream cheese
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
710 ml cold milk
5 ml vanilla extract
224 g frozen whipped topping, thawed
4 bananas, sliced
168 g vanilla wafers

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in condensed milk, pudding mix, cold milk and vanilla until smooth. Fold in 1/2 of the whipped topping.
Line the bottom of a 9x13 inch dish with vanilla wafers. Arrange sliced bananas evenly over wafers. Spread with pudding mixture. Top with remaining whipped topping. Chill.
SHELLFISH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28 08 10:49 am    Post subject: Banana Pudding Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! Here is one that I found on the internet. Sounds like it will make a big batch!

Banana Pudding

4 quarts Half-n-half (milk)
12 tablespoons (level) cornstarch
4-1/4 cups white sugar
16 eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
6-7 fully ripe, firm bananas, sliced
1 box Nabisco Nilla Wafers
Separate the whites and yolks of six eggs. Set the six egg whites aside. In a large bowl combine your dry ingredients, cornstarch, four cups sugar and salt together. In another large bowl whisk your ten whole eggs and the yolks from six eggs until the mixture is well blended. Continuing to stir, pour in milk. Then continuing to stir add dry ingredients at point of stirring to prevent lumps. When your liquid is satin smooth pour into double boiler and cook, uncovered over hot almost boiling water stirring constantly. When your custard begins to thicken (approximately 20 minutes or when it will coat a wooden spoon) remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Set custard aside to cool some while you prepare your baking dish.
Line bottom and sides of a 9x13 or larger baking dish with Nilla wafers; cover the bottom layer of Nilla wafers with sliced bananas. Pour a small amount of custard over your first layer of wafers and bananas and repeat until the dish is full with the top layer being custard. Do not fill to the top but allow approximately 1/2 inch for meringue. Whisk the remaining egg whites, stiff but not dry. Add 1/4 cup of sugar as you whisk and continue to whisk until mixture forms stiff peaks. Spread meringue on top of pudding covering entire top to each edge. Bake in preheated oven (425 degrees) for five minutes or until light golden brown.
Set pudding aside to cool for several hours and allow the Nilla wafers, bananas and custard to get to know one another. If the pudding is not to be eaten within 4-5 hours of completing, place toothpicks in the pudding to support aluminum foil, cover completely and refrigerate.
When serving later the pudding does not have to be reheated but simply brought out and allowed to rest at room temperature for an hour or so before serving. Serves 12-15.
aminata

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29 08 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried any of the recipes? just want to know how it turned out
LoneGroveBBQ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30 08 11:47 pm    Post subject: If I had to choose one dessert... Reply with quote

Shellfish- All your replies sound great but I would like to hear how your pudding recipe turned out. Thanks!
SHELLFISH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 08 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried any of them yet.
I did want to have one on hand when I have the time.

One thing I was surprised about is that they all call for vanilla pudding or something else with out any banana extract added.

I would add the flavoring to the pudding so even the pudding tastes like banana.
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10 08 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then just use the banana flavored pudding and you will have lots of banana flavoring with the banana slices.
Rascal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21 08 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing is that you actually make pudding the painful way, not the instant stuff. I use vanilla pudding, line the dish with vanilla wafers and banana slices, pour the pudding on top and top with more wafers.

Whip cream as you desire.

I've found the banana pudding to be too much. I like a lot of banana flavor, but it just wasn't right. I once tried butterscotch as a kid and hated that move.
crabclaw
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23 09 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a bag of "Jackson Vanilla wafers" and follow their directions on the bag, you won't be disappointed.
My secret ingredient..... PASSION
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23 09 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, you all are making this to hard, I make the easy kind .

2 pkg. instant banana or vanilla pudding
3 c. milk
1 c. sour cream
1 carton med. Cool Whip
Bananas
Vanilla wafers

Mix the instant pudding and milk until stiff. Add the sour cream and Cool Whip. Layer vanilla wafers and bananas with the pudding.

Mike Lawry.
Liteitup

PostPosted: Sat May 29 10 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made this one...it's awesome!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/not-yo-mamas-banana-pudding-recipe/index.html

Link(if it works) even has a video
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15 10 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been buying a lot of old cookbooks at library book sales the past two years. My wife just said she wants udding, so I was going to grab a coffee and go through thyem now.

I'll type up some recipes.
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15 10 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit! I just typed up a bunch of peach pudding recipes instead. Arrgh!
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15 10 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here. You really want peach instead. I'm an idiot. Typing up babana recipes now.

Peach Puddings Recipes

Requested from someone on http://www.thesmokering.com.

Peach Tapioca Pudding

The Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery. An Encyclopedic Handbook for the Homamaker covering Foods and beverages their Purchase, Preparation, and Service. Wm. H. Wise & Co., Inc., New York, 1949. Copyright 1948. (Pepperell, MA; March 12, 2010.)

1 No. 2 can peaches
Water
4 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
1/3 cup sugar
tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon juice

Drain the peaches of their juice, measure the juice and add water to make two and a half cups. Add this to the tapioca, sugar, and salt in a saucepan, stir thoroughly, and bring to a boil over direct heat, stirring constantly. The mixture will be thin, but it thickens on cooling. Remove from the fire, add one and one half cups of the peaches, diced, and the lemon juice. Cool, stirring occasionally; then chill and serve in sherbet glasses with plain or whipped cream. (Serves 6)

Peach Rice Pudding
(No. 2489)

The American Family Cookbook. New York: Books, Inc., 1955. (Mansfield, CT, June 5, 2010).

3 eggs
cup sugar
teaspoon salt
1 cups evaporated milk or cream
2 cups canned sliced peaches
teaspoon nutmeg
teaspoon cinnamon
Few drops of almond extract
1 cups cooked rice (No. 107)

Beat eggs. Add sugar and salt and beat well. Add milk and sirup drained from peaches. Cook in double boiler until mixture coats a spoon, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add spice and flavoring. Combine with peaches and rice. Chill and serve. Pears, pineapple, or apricots may be used instead of peaches. Serves 12.

Peach Crisp Pudding
(No. 2516)

The American Family Cookbook. New York: Books, Inc., 1955. (Mansfield, CT, June 5, 2010).

cup butter
cup sugar
4 cups bread cubes
2 cups diced peaches and juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Cream butter and sugar together. Add bread cubes to sugar mixture and blend well. Mix fruit and lemon juice with the bread. Pour into greased individual baking dishes and bake in a moderate oven (375 F.) 35 minutes. Garnish with peaches and whipped cream if desired. Serve hot. Apricots or crushed pineapple may be substituted for peaches. Hot lemon sauce (No. 3129) goes well with this. Serves 6.

Peach Crumble Pudding
(No. 2517)

6 to 8 peaches, peeled and halved
cup brown sugar
cup sifted flour
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
cup butter

Place peaches in a greased baking dish. Work remaining ingredients together to consistency of fine crumbs and sprinkle over peaches. Bake in a moderate oven (350 F.) 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm. Serves 6.

Peach Pudding

Berolzheimer, Ruth, Ed. The American Womans Cook Book. Chicago: Culinary Arts Institute, 1950. (Norfolk, MA, April 24, 2010).

cup sugar
teaspoon salt
teaspoon vanilla
2 cups milk
3 eggs, beaten
Sliced dry bread
6 peaches, sliced

Mix sugar, salt and vanilla with milk and stir in well-beaten eggs. Dip slices of bread into egg mixture. Line greased baking dish with bread slices. Arrange alternating layers of bread and sliced peaches to fill dish. Pour any remaining liquid over the top. Set dish in pan of hot water and bake in moderate oven (350 F.) about 30 minutes or until firm. Serve hot with any desired pudding sauce. Serves 6.

Use canned or cooked dried peaches. Or other fruits may be used if desired.

Omit bread an use dry cake slices or ladyfingers.

Steamed Peach Pudding

Berolzheimer, Ruth, Ed. The American Womans Cook Book. Chicago: Culinary Arts Institute, 1950. (Norfolk, MA, April 24, 2010).

2 cups sifted flour
teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup milk
3 cups sliced peaches, fresh or canned

Sift flour, salt and baking powder together, rub in the shortening and add milk. The dough will be too soft to roll out.. Place sliced peaches in a greased baking dish, spread dough over fruit and set the dish in a steamer over a kettle of rapidly boiling water. Cover the steamer tightly. Steam 1 hour. Turn the pudding out without breaking. Serve hot with Hard Sauce, whipped cream, Butterscotch or any desired sauce. Serves 8 to 10.

Use individual molds, place peaches or any desired fruit on bottom, pour batter on top.

Peach Pudding

Brown, Cora, Rose, and Bob. America Cooks. Favorite Recipes from 48 States. Garden City, New York: garden City Books, 1940.

1 quart ripe peaches
1 cups powdered sugar
1 quart milk
2 teaspoons cornstarch
5 egg yolks
cup granulated sugar
5 egg whites

Peel and slice peaches, lay in bottom of pudding dish, sprinkle on cup powdered sugar. Scald milk in top of double boiler, dissolve cornstarch in a little cold milk, and stir into the hot milk. Let cook 5 minutes, then stir in egg yolks which have been thoroughly beaten with granulated sugar, and remove at once from fire. Beat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is creamy, and pour over peaches. When cold, cover with egg whites, beat till stiff with remainder of powdered sugar. Set in oven to brown. Serve with cream.

Note: This recipe is from the chapter with recipes from the state of Michigan.
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15 10 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshmallow Pudding with Bananas

1 tablespoon gelatin
cup sugar
3 stiffly beaten egg whites
3 bananas, shredded

Soak gelatin in cup cold water 5 minutes. Add cup boiling water and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Cool, stirring occasionally, until congealing starts. Add egg whites and beat until very light. Add bananas and stir lightly. Chill until set. Serve with whipped cream. Serves 4.

Banana Snow Pudding

The Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery. An Encyclopedic Handbook for the Homamaker covering Foods and beverages their Purchase, Preparation, and Service. Wm. H. Wise & Co., Inc., New York, 1949. Copyright 1948. (Pepperell, MA; March 12, 2010.)

1 tbsp gelatin
cup cold water
1 cup boiling water
1 cup sugar
cup lemon juice
3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
3 bananas, slices.

Soak gelatin in cold water 5 minutes; dissolve in boiling water. Add sugar and lemon juice; strain. Chill until slightly thickened, then whip until frothy. Fold in egg whites. Arrange sliced bananas in a large mold or individual molds which have been dipped in cold water; turn in gelatin mixture and chill until firm. Unmold. (Serves 6)

Banana Butterscotch Pudding

Given, Meta. The Modern family Cookbook. Chicago: J. G. Ferguson and Associates, 1953 (1942). (Norfolk, MA, April 24, 2010).

1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tablespoons milk
cup butter
5 bananas, sliced

Combing the brown sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan and cook until sugar is melted and bubbles up. Serve hot or cold over sliced bananas. For a more elaborate dessert, this may be served with a puff of whipped cream or whipped evaporated milk. 5 Servings.

Banana Cornstarch Pudding

Given, Meta. The Modern family Cookbook. Chicago: J. G. Ferguson and Associates, 1953 (1942). (Norfolk, MA, April 24, 2010).

Fold sliced bananas into warm Cornstarch Pudding. Chill and serve with Custard Sauce or with cream or milk.

Cornstarch Pudding

1/3 cup cornstarch
teaspoon salt
cup sugar
4 cups milk
cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix cornstarch, sale and sugar, and blend until smooth with 1 cup of the milk. Scald rest of the milk, add the cornstarch mixture, and stir constantly over direct heat until it boils and thickens. Place over boiling water, cover and cook 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla, and pour into large bowl or individual molds (such as custard cups) to cool. Unmold and serve with any desired sauce or with preserves or fresh fruit such as crushed sugared strawberries and cream. 5 servings.

Custard Sauce

2 cups milk
2 egg yolks and 2 whole eggs or 5 egg yolks
cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
teaspoon vanilla

Scald milk in top of double boiler. Beat eggs slightly, add sugar and salt and slowly stir in scalded milk. Return to double boiler and cook over boiling water until mixture just coats a metal spoon. Remove from heat immediately, then stir in vanilla and chill. If overcooked, custard will curdle. Curdled custard may often be restored by cooling immediately and beating with a rotary egg beater, but it will not be so thick. About 2 cups.

Hawaiian Banana Pudding

Brown, Cora, Rose, and Bob. America Cooks. Favorite Recipes from 48 States. Garden City, New York: garden City Books, 1940.

Grate a coconut, pour it over 1 cup sweet milk, and bring to boiling point very slowly. Drain carefully and squeeze grated coconut in a piece of cheesecloth until all cream has been expressed and meat is quite dry; mix with cream a little arrowroot, and pour over 6 chopped bananas. Bake in a pudding dish 20 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20 10 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Banana Pudding Reply with quote

Banana Pudding

4 quarts whole milk
16 tablespoons (level) cornstarch
4-cups white sugar
18 eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
6-7 fully ripe, firm bananas, sliced
1 box Nabisco Nilla Wafers
Separate the whites and yolks of six eggs.

This is the formulation I use at the restaurant, I do not do a meringue. I build the pudding in individual 8oz containers and top with 38% heavy whipped cream.

Cook in a double-boiler stirring constantly until thick, remove from heat add vanilla (real vanilla only) let cool and build the servings when chilled, let sit overnight before serving.,
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20 10 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recipe is fill a bowl with alternating layers of wafers and banana slices then mix up two boxes of French vanilla pudding and pie filling. Pour in the bowl and tap on counter a few times to remove air pockets, refrigerate and enjoy...

Vanilla pudding taste too plain to me from French vanilla is just about right...
txluke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lady that wins Chef's choice at a lot of cook offs i cook in. She makes banana pudding but uses those peanut shaped nutter butter cookies instead of nilla wafers. I will only make it that way from now on.

The Triplets (3 UDSs)
Outdoor Gourmet vertical gasser
Lyfe Tyme offset
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dessert Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: