FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked Cheese
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27 05 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyRooster wrote:
To tell you the truth I just cut it as I started to read your post. BBQ Baked Beans been kicking my a$$ and everyone else in the house for that matter.

lmao....the gift that keeps on giving Embarassed
RandyRooster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07 05 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff T wrote:
Mr and Mrs Rooster...
you all R just down south a piece from me, may i ask where you found pecan so close to nebraska. I recieved my order of pecan today for $1.00 a pound (#30/$30 bucks) from alabama. Good stuff but always looking for a better deal for pecan, it damb good on chicken. Wink

Jeff T, How did the place end up working for you?
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07 05 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoked some mild cheddar and pepper jack yesterday. No pics because it didn't come out perfect.....

I put on my new gassmoker "afterburner". teh coolest I could get it was 175. This slowly melted the cheese which slowly oozed between the grates. Luckily I caught it and put some foil under it.

Ended up tasting good, but not looking the part. I'm going to wait till it get's COLD (which is about 3 days out of the year here in Dallas) and try again.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08 05 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, Just place a few Briquettes and some kindling hardwood in a tin pan at one end of the grill when it is cold (the metal). It should stay around 75 degrees for a couple of hours. Add a piece or two of wood to the hot coals for smoke when needed.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08 05 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did save two blocks of cheese and will try your method this weekend.

I received my gassmoker and wanted to see how low the temp could be kept. Found out it was not 100! I'll try the briquettes with the other two blocks of cheese and see what happens.

Really like my remote thermometer. Comes in really handy when you need to keep a close eye on things.
RandyRooster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 05 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my cheese project today.
6-8oz
2-pound and a half blocks
the little lady wanted to try string cheese. I am going to experiment with the 8oz blocks, I am going to make them into cheese logs rolled in minced almonds. If anyone has any ideas on recipes let me know. I am only going to one to see how it turns out and if it works I will do it with the others for Thanksgiving.

Click for larger view.
http://www.boandmelly.com/images/bos/bbq/smoked-cheese/smoke-n-cheese-large.JPG
RandyRooster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13 05 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the finished product, have not had a chance to taste it. I made two of them, one has a half shot of Whiskey “George Dickel” mixed in. Had to let them set for 24hrs, so I will be trying them tonight.

roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13 05 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the size of almonds slices, that cheese ball is huge!!!

Last week I was at a birthday party for a cousin and there was a cheese ball that had garlic and herbs rather than the usual sweet flavour and it was damn good.
LIAR #100
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13 05 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyRooster...........
Thanks for the local on smoke wood. Havent called them yet but i will this spring. Right now if the yard barn would catch on fire it would burn for weeks. Wink Always looking for another wood supplier, thanks.
BarbeCrue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08 06 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread!!! I am SO gonna try this out!! Looks like I have a project for tomorrow!
RandyRooster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08 06 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half the people liked the Whiskey Cheese Ball and half like it better without whiskey.

They was both good.

Sorry it has been a LONG time since my last post. I have been supper busy and started a new job.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09 06 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke three chickens, two briskets, and one pork butt and we'll forgive you! Very Happy Welcome back!
wittdog

PostPosted: Tue May 02 06 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH wrote:
Alien, it looks like your cheese got a little soft! I stick with the 8 oz bricks of cheese because they are close to the dimensions that you would use for "cheese & crackers" whereas the bigger bricks get cut several times so you may have only one smoked surface instead of 4. I use about a third of a chimney of charcoal started by a log lighter attached to a 1 pound propane cylinder which gets it started quickly. Once the bottom brickettes are ashed over I pluck 3 of them out and put them in the pit. I then put a couple of small soaked pecan chips on top of them. My temp gauge did not register a change in temp over the two hours so I'm guessing that it did not get over 60*f in the smoke chamber. My fridge holds it's temp arounf 34*f so I'm guessing that the cheese only got to about 60*f at the end. I'm going to try to smoke some mozzarella for a baked penne pasta dish on Christmas Eve. Randy I'll check out those screens, they would work better than foil.

A piece of parchment paper works real well instead of the screens and the smoke will go thru the paper.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28 06 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the holidays near, thought I would reply so I wouln't have to repost.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28 06 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wittdog wrote:
A piece of parchment paper works real well instead of the screens and the smoke will go thru the paper.

I'll give that a try Wittdog.

It is getting about that time again, Alien.
Hoosier Que

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20 09 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WIth great anticipation I clicked on the links of RandyRooster's smoked cheese post, hoping to see some pics of smokin' cheese.

The pics were smokin' alright... I think something must have happened to the link unless the idea that I'm too dense to get is these are supposed to be smoking hot cheesecake photos???

It was kinda hard to explain I was looking a a BBQ website about cheese when my wife walked in and saw those pics!

I don't know who Bo and Melly are, but they're cookin' in a whole different way.
BobM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22 10 10:55 pm    Post subject: Smoked Cheese Reply with quote

Hi All, This is my FIRST POST. A little background may be in order. I acquired a Bradley Digital 6 tray for my equipment. I LOVE IT! It is truly "set it, forget it". But for smoking cheese I have found that you need to "have your hand on the throttle"
I have done 3 yr old sharp cheddar. That was an experience. I smoked for 1 hr. Apple and hickory. I thought I ruined it. But 6 weeks after smoking with it vacuum sealed it turned out FABULOUS.
I have a local cheese maker named Kutter's here in western NY. They make a horseradish cheddar. Now I have hit paydirt with this stuff. 20 minutes of apple followed by a complete smoke depletion in the box. Next 20 minutes of hickory with the same cool down. The internal temp of the box never gets above 100 degrees just running the smoke generator. After 2 weeks of "mellowing" it is MONEY! The contrast of the taste of horseradish and smoke is a delight to the palate. I have also done gouda. That was quite good as well.
I found that as described by other posters that the harder cheeses like aged cheddar don't take smoke as easily as the softer cheeses do.
My next foray is some sharp swiss. After reading the postings regarding pecan and cherry I'm going to order some bisquettes of that variety. This is a GREAT forum. I look forward to perusing the vast amount of knowledge/experience in here. SMOKE ON! Very Happy
NorwegianWood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08 13 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't get this. Tried to smoke a Taleggio and a soft chevre. 30 minutes - 90 degrees F - applewood. After 5 days resting in the fridge - they still both taste like an ashtray...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: