FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked Cheese
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyRooster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20 05 7:41 am    Post subject: Smoked Cheese Reply with quote

At Steve-O’s request.

There are probably other ways of smoking cheese, I am not a pro, but this is the way I came up with and it works and tastes GREAT!

After you smoke your own cheese you will never buy it again. I was told that the smoked cheese you get at the store is just sprayed on, YUCK! Anyhow here you go……

First I place the cheese block on the far end of the smoker.

Larger Pic http://boandmelly.com/images/bos/bbq/smoked-cheese/smolked-cheese-1.JPG
Then I place a few hot coals under my grate and make a small pile of wood(Hickory) above the coal. I was in a hurry so I got out the torch and hit the chunks of wood a bit to get them going.

Larger Pic http://boandmelly.com/images/bos/bbq/smoked-cheese/smolked-cheese-2.JPG
100-150 seems like the best temp area, don’t let it get to much more then 150
Normally I leave the cheese on for 3-4 hours but today I think they was only on for 2 ½ hours.
I always watch for the cheese to get a nice tan and some oil on the surface. When this happens it is ready.

Larger Pic http://boandmelly.com/images/bos/bbq/smoked-cheese/smolked-cheese-3.JPG
I place the brick on a cookie rack with foil under it to let it cool and the out side harden back up, probably take an hour. My scientific method I use to see when it is read is the “Finger Poke” when it dose not feel soft or warm it is ready to serve or wrap up for refrigeration.

Larger Pic http://boandmelly.com/images/bos/bbq/smoked-cheese/smolked-cheese-4.JPG
Here is some pics of my 4legged helper, 11month old Boxer male named Toten.
http://www.boandmelly.com/images/toten/toten-3-small.jpg
http://www.boandmelly.com/images/toten/toten-4-small.jpg

This is the best time of year to try your hand at smoking cheese, besides the fact that it is easier to do the colder it is, with the holidays coming you can find nice gift packs of assorted cheese and you can try them all.

We have tried Cheddar(mild & sharp), Pepper Jack, Marble Jack, Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, American, Swiss. I prefer Sharp Cheddar and Pepper Jack.

Well good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edit:
Meant to say Hickory not Oak. fixed

Last edited by RandyRooster on Mon Nov 14 05 1:54 am; edited 2 times in total
MissRooster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20 05 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually like it better w/ a slight smoke flavor rather than overpowering (which we've done before) Razz
i don't really like sharp cheddar either....but this was GOOD! Laughing

what are everyone's fave types of cheeses? i'd like to smoke a bunch of different kind this fall/winter
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20 05 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent meet a cheese I didnt like and I have tried some wild and wonderful cheeses.
My favorites are Boldersons 7 year old Canadian cheddar, double cream brie, goats milk feta just to name a few.
LIAR #100
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been smoking cheese for a while and I prefer Swiss & Cheddar cheese for smoking. I use pecan for the smoke and everyone likes it around the holidays.
MissRooster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh, pecan sounds good! Smile
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy, whats your favorite wood for smoking cheese..??

I got pecan and Black cherry, have you used either..?
LIAR #100
RandyRooster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy, I have not used those, plan on trying other types soon. I have used Hickory and Mesquite, I liked them both, I use Hickory the most. I have some apple and cherry cut up at my grandfather's farm, it is not ready yet. I have not found a place around here yet that sales other types of woods, I have not looked TO hard but I plan to.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do really like cherry, probably my favorite, have used apple in the past, oak and hickory as well, never tried mesquite as most folks said it was real bitter but I am reading that a lot of others like it so I will give it a try next season. Got my first batch of pecan two weeks ago and I thought it went real well with the turkey I smoked for thankgiving, will be trying it with some spares this weekend, I cant wait...
LIAR #100
RandyRooster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to have to find some, heard it is realy good with chicken.
RandyRooster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up some Pecan today, found a local place with about ever kind of wood a guy would need in all shapes and sizes. Got a big box, 20 pack bud bottles size, 10inch pieces for 20bucks.
MissRooster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a Happy Camper... err... Smoker Razz
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be in the low 40's tonight, so I'll smoke cheese for the holidays. I forgot to mention that the big hit last year was the PepperJack cheese.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr and Mrs Rooster...
you all R just down south a piece from me, may i ask where you found pecan so close to nebraska. I recieved my order of pecan today for $1.00 a pound (#30/$30 bucks) from alabama. Good stuff but always looking for a better deal for pecan, it damb good on chicken. Wink
RandyRooster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to try it with chicken soon. Just did a pork roast today, it was great!

Fairlane Fireplace & BBQ Wood
12520 3rd St
Grandview, MO
(816) 761-1350

Let me know if he works out for you. I did not ask about all the types of wood he carries, he said all kinds.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used pecan to smoke some cheddar and gouda this past weekend. I smoked her up for 2 hours and it is rather strong for my taste to eat it just plain. I used some to make a mac and cheese and it was awesome in that. Have you's that smoke cheese used any other woods..?? Maybe try some of my cherry wood mext time.
LIAR #100
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would 210 be too hot? That's the normal temp for my electric. Not sure the smoke would happen if I fiddled with the heating element.
RandyRooster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 210 the cheese would ether sag really bad or just plain melt. I never have got much over 150 other then the first time I made it so I cant say what temp it will melt. First time I did it I ended up with a gob of goo and I tried to reform it in a bowl, lets just say that did not workout all that well. I do not know what the temp was as that time, I had a cheaper H2o smoker and all it had was the Cold, Ideal, Hot thermometer.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had trouble with Cheddar and Monterey Jack at 180. They didn't melt, but got a bit saggy and a bit too much oil came out. Once it was chilled it was not very good simply because of the fact that too much oil came out and the cheese was too dry and leathery.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26 05 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys this is known as cold smoking. My pit has a 20 inch diameter firebox that's 20 inches long attached to the same diameter smoke chamber that is 40 inches long. I used 3 charcoal brickettes and some small pieces of pecan lightly soaked in water. The idea is to not raise the ambient temp in the pit, just create smoke. I left the intake partially open and the stack closed, trapping the smoke in the pit. I smoked the cheddar & Peppejack cheese for 2 hours. It came out perfect and I was able to do all the cheese I needed for the holidays in one shot. I have used apple chips to smoke cheese but I prefer pecan.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26 05 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, that's a good idea. I never thought about closing the stack. I get so used to leaving it wide open when BBQ'ing, you don't want that old smoke on your meat. But for cold smoking you could have a tiny bit of fuel making the smoke, and with the stack closed it could build up making a great cold smoke! Learn something new every day I guess! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: