FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brining in Iced Tea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokerg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15 05 5:32 am    Post subject: Brining in Iced Tea Reply with quote

Gang... sounds weird but I have to tell you I found a recipe that is supposed to be for fried chicken and calls for the chicken to be brined overnight in Iced Tea. Here is the measurements I used for my one whole roaster:
8 cups Iced Tea
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 Bay Leaves

Before throwing on the smoker I rubbed with Brown sugar, paprika salt and pepper.

It was outstanding!
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15 05 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for the idea smokerg! Haven't seen you around in a while, good to have you posting again on the forum.
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16 05 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the unique brine. Always looking for something that make'em say, "what is that?"

Doc
smokerg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18 05 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update ... I used this for chicken for a competition over the weekend and I did not win anything Mad

Strange, because I got unofficial rave reviews from everyone who stopped by the site. I am sure some were being nice but not all of them could been nice. Personally, I have never tasted anything like it. I will always use thus brine from now on. Just tweak it here and there for the judges Wink
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18 05 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what do judges know anyway. I say "trust your tongue". It knows what you like more than those judges do! Laughing
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18 05 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a recipe for tea brine in a BBQ book I have, not sure what it was for it does sound good to me.

WoooDoggy:

That may be true for the backyard but when trying to win some chrome you got to cook for the judges. That may not be right but they do decide the winner.
LIAR #100
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18 05 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even in a comp I would still recommend cooking for your tongue, tempered with comments from people you trust. From what I understand, trying to cook for the judges is pretty much more trouble than it's worth. You have no idea what each judge may or may not like, other than sweet. Laughing I've heard countless stories about how people can't figure out why the judges liked this one and didn't like that one. It's basically luck, but you have to have the skill to make it good to begin with. After that it is pure luck as to whether or not enough judges find it pleasing to their particular tastebuds. If you can't make sense out of judges tastes, why bother worrying about it, why not just crack out good Q? Most people don't agree on the same things anyways, so even if it pleases one judge the other may not like it. The way I figure it, if you concentrate on simply making it good you'll have a better shot at winning than if you keep tweaking it to see if it makes Judge #5 happy. That tweak could just as easily be what makes that judge not like it. Very Happy

My 2 cents anyway...
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19 05 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not mean to cook to a perticular judge but the panel in general. Some areas like spicy sauces with BBQ other area like it sweet. If you were to serve up sweet sauce in in Texas you may as well stay at home. The same holds true for spicy sauce in the east were they tend to like it sweet.
There is a lot of truth in what your saying but you do have to keep in mind traditional regional tastes and try to stay within the paradiam otherwise your experimenting and I dont think competition is the place to try something new or out of the box. That would be a real hit or miss endeavour, I would think.
LIAR #100
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right about that. I guess I hadn't though about the regional thing. I suppose if I found myself in a contest in Texas or Memphis I would know to tweak it towards their preference, but since I cook those styles already I guess I would still consider it cooking to my taste! Laughing I'm a little unusual in that I like the various Carolina styles, the Memphis style, the Texas style, and the style from my home town KC (which really is just a mix or slection of all those other styles). I cook all of those at home depending on what mood I'm in when I'm planning out the cooking session!

Heck, I turned my last session into a batch of some really good Texas style chili, and then took the rest of it and made some Indian Curry out of it! The lunches at work have been oh so nice the last few weeks! Razz Razz Razz
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is the envy of her work place when she brings in some of my BBQ. I keep telling her to take orders for the next weekend but I cant get her to do any more than moan and groan when she eats her lunch... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Just wish I could get that response else where if'n ya know what I mean... Wink Wink
LIAR #100
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ve got a turkey bone in breast marinating in ice tea right now. I'll let you know how it turned out.....
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 11:43 am    Post subject: It was soooo goood! Reply with quote

I followed smokerg's recipe. I bought a 10 lbs bone in turkey breast which is a turkey with the legs and wings cut off.

I brined it for 18 hours in the above recipe. I smoked it for 6 hours at 210 with Cherry wood. Smoked the whole time breast down. I used a classic brown sugar/paprika rub like smokerg has above. Rubbed under the skin too. I pinned the skin back with toothpicks. I filled the cavity with apples and onion.

This is the breast down

Here is the breast side up.

I'm here to tell you that I'm not a big turkey fan and the breast has always been kind of dry to me. But this was the best turkey I've ever had. Extremely moist. Smoke flavor through and through. It would make a puppy pull a freight train.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure looks good! Razz Razz Razz
smokerg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 05 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! I have only done it with chicken but I am glad to hear it works with Turkey as well. This just proves the judges don't know what they are talking about!!!

Glad this worked out for you.

Thanks for the pics!
BBQRACER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14 06 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this brine with sweet iced tea and then add additional 1/4 cup sugar or is the 8 cups iced tea unsweet.
thanks bbqracer
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15 06 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQRACER wrote:
Is this brine with sweet iced tea and then add additional 1/4 cup sugar or is the 8 cups iced tea unsweet.
thanks bbqracer

Either, depending on how sweet you like it. I've never done it w/ sweet tea, but I don't think it would hurt anything.
BBQRACER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15 06 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.
Smoker1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03 06 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: It was soooo goood! Reply with quote

Steve-O wrote:
I followed smokerg's recipe. I bought a 10 lbs bone in turkey breast which is a turkey with the legs and wings cut off.

I brined it for 18 hours in the above recipe. I smoked it for 6 hours at 210 with Cherry wood. Smoked the whole time breast down. I used a classic brown sugar/paprika rub like smokerg has above. Rubbed under the skin too. I pinned the skin back with toothpicks. I filled the cavity with apples and onion.

This is the breast down

Here is the breast side up.

I'm here to tell you that I'm not a big turkey fan and the breast has always been kind of dry to me. But this was the best turkey I've ever had. Extremely moist. Smoke flavor through and through. It would make a puppy pull a freight train.

Did you wrap the turkey at all or did you smoke it bare and just mist it while it was cooking? Put it in a pan or just on the wire rack?

Last edited by Smoker1 on Fri Nov 03 06 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smoker1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03 06 8:07 pm    Post subject: Ice tea brine Reply with quote

Also, what kind of container did you guys use to soak the bird in to get 8 cups of fluid to cover it?
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03 06 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice tea brine Reply with quote

Smoker1 wrote:
Also, what kind of container did you guys use to soak the bird in to get 8 cups of fluid to cover it?

Depending on the size of the bird you may need to make a larger batch of brine. I have a 5 gal. igloo drink cooler that is the perfect size for 10-14 lb. turkeys. I make a gal. size recipe of brine but only use 1/2 the liquid and let it cool to room temp. I drop the bird in the cooler, add 4 lbs. of ice, and pour the brine over it all. Screw on the lid and let it brine for 24 hrs. A smaller bird will fit in the big 2.5 gal. zip bags with brine, but place it inside a big stock pot or something in case the bag leaks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: