FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alien's (Textbook BBQ)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

I buying this book I would rather.......
I would buy an Ebook that required me to be online to read it but could be updated
50%
 50%  [ 27 ]
I would rather buy a stand alone DVD that could not be updated.
50%
 50%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 54

Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 6:28 am    Post subject: Alien's (Textbook BBQ) Reply with quote

The instructional cookbook is coming along fine but I am at a point where I need to choose my delivery method. I have chosen to go with the Ebook format because it allows hyperlinks and I can incorporate video into the lessons. Where I am having problems is choosing between CD-Rom delivery where you order the CD and that it or Web based delivery where you down load a file that brings up a website and the book can be continually updated. The strong point of the CD- is you buy it, it is yours. The weak point is it is limited to <4 gb (DVD) and I have that much in Hi Res photos (not including the video.) As far as the Web based, the strong point is you never have to worry about loosing it, I can add content, and size isn’t a problem. The weak point is you have to be online to read the material. No matter which version I choose, I plan to advertise here on the smokering and offer it on Amazon as well when completed. …………. What do you guys (and gals) think?
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a tough choice! I chose the dvd only because I like to have my own copy but I like the idea of updates. Will that be hard to manage?
Great concepts! Very Happy
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So go a 2 DVD set..

I hate the online stuff Alien.. I know it would be good for updates and the like but I am sure it would mean a lot more work on your end..

Make a "sell it and forget it" version that way any one who wants the up dates has to buy the next version.

It is about making money right..??
LIAR #100
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ..........I'm in it for the groupies Shocked Rolling Eyes
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like haveing a hard copy of everything i buy.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
No ..........I'm in it for the groupies Shocked Rolling Eyes

I can just see you now cuddling up with a bunch of BBQ hotties. Wink
LIAR #100
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the online stuff would be a pain in the arss. I still have dial up at home like many and the high res stuff and the video would not likely play for me. I would stick with the DVD for myself.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd go with the discs, then when there is an update or increase to the sections you just put out another disc.

This maintains sales, and when you've sold the first 1,000 you had made, it will be time for a second pressing and you can move forward to the three disc set and an individual third disc.

The only proviso I would add is when looking for a manufacturer is, pay a little extra and get one known for ensuring the discs are seated correctly in the case, my Brother-in-law actually bought a shrink wrap machine and re-did about 1/2 his first 1,000 discs, due to them not being.

I still work here!
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put this stuff in a ebook or DVD, you're limiting your audience, content availability, future content direction, and of course profit.

With more and more folks having access to seriously high-speed Internet, ebooks just don't have strong value when compared with other media formats. Ebooks are also notorious for being poorly done and people just expect them to be "limited". However, the real problem with ebooks is you have to finish the whole thing before you can get started making money.

With DVD you're locked into a single format. After you complete it, you have no control over the content; it either works for you out of the gate or it flops. You can't update it and selling additional volumes is only feasible if the initial release does extremely well. Basically you have no course correction capability. And, like e-books, you have to finish the whole thing before you get started making money.

I wouldn't do either. I would set up a multimedia membership site that offered instructional video, recipes, and any other "educational" content you have to offer. I'd offer some of the information and some video for free, but charge a fee for unlimited access to the rest of the information-lifetime, yearly, monthly--whatever you think you can get.

By creating a multimedia Web site, you can get started with only a portion of your content ready to go (think of it as lessons) and then you can tweak your content as you move forward based on the feedback of your initial users. That's a win-win situation for you and your audience because it provides better value. Most importantly, you can add new content to retain existing members and to attract new users.
Tek465

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, websites tend to dissappear when I need them most. When I bookmark something for reference, it never fails that I'll get a 404 error sometime later.

A CD or DVD will be there whenever I need it. I don't mind having several volumes of reference material. It'll make the first versions more collectible.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt buy either. if i want a cook book, i want a book. you know those things that have covers with recipes printed on paper between the covers. Laughing while that may not be cost effective to produce for yourself at this point, IMO you would recieive more sales cause of guys like me who like old technology.
jason
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make it like a website on the dvd.... clickable links...inline images...... cross references....Videos....
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 08 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon smoker wrote:
i wouldnt buy either. if i want a cook book, i want a book. you know those things that have covers with recipes printed on paper between the covers.

If you have a Web site you could always make the recipes available in print as well. There are lots of self-publishing options available that don't require upfront distribution money. This way users who prefer a book experience can purchase the latest version. You could also make each recipie available as a PDF, so users could print their own copy and create a binder of the recipes they like.
BBQJohn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23 08 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tek465 wrote:
In my experience, websites tend to dissappear when I need them most. When I bookmark something for reference, it never fails that I'll get a 404 error sometime later.

A CD or DVD will be there whenever I need it. I don't mind having several volumes of reference material. It'll make the first versions more collectible.

I agree. Besides you would have more opportunity for income with "Volume 2" when a "new and improved" version is ready.

Any other critical updates could be provided via this forum.[/img]
Sarrel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23 09 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Personally I'd go with the discs, then when there is an update or increase to the sections you just put out another disc.

This maintains sales, and when you've sold the first 1,000 you had made, it will be time for a second pressing and you can move forward to the three disc set and an individual third disc.

The only proviso I would add is when looking for a manufacturer is, pay a little extra and get one known for ensuring the discs are seated correctly in the case, my Brother-in-law actually bought a shrink wrap machine and re-did about 1/2 his first 1,000 discs, due to them not being.

I agree go with the CD-Rom. I like Tangibility (capable of being precisely identified or realized by the mind and touch) in every sense of the word alone to me means just good BBQ and as we all can agree when we say it's a Alien recipe it means just that “Good BBQ” recipe well thought-out, creative and best of all taste tested.

Sarrel
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24 09 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with the publishers the other day and it looks like it will be CD-ROM based due to the size and number of full color photographs in the book. On a run of less than 10,000 or print on demand, the printing cost was $89.00 per book. I just don't see many books flying off the shelf at that price, so CD it will be.
hldhm
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24 09 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us posted, I'm sure many will want one. I know your recipes and tips have been the core of my menus and the compliments are always there. Thanks
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25 09 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the CD over the ebook deal. 89 a book? Do you have a picture for every step? That's very in-depth. Like hldhm, I'm sure a lot of us will want one. I know I will.

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
ortugger

PostPosted: Thu May 07 09 11:45 am    Post subject: Book Reply with quote

What about publishing text in a book format with pics on a cdrom included.....best of both worlds. Then when you do a second addition or next book you can upgrade to more of a book club publication. Not good ideas.........just ideas.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 21 09 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien, with this thread being well over year old, what's the prognosis at this time?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookbooks All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: