FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remote temp probe recommendations?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjmontana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29 08 7:06 am    Post subject: Remote temp probe recommendations? Reply with quote

Since I'm taking the easy way out on all other questions and preying off of all you seasoned Q'ers experience, I'll run another question by you....
Do you guys have a favorite remote temp probe that you like to use that you find more accurate and/or more reasonably priced$$ or are they all pretty much the same when it comes to temp accuracy? I have one for the house but will probably pick up 1 or 2 for the outside cooking. Most models I have been seeing in the stores locally are in the $18-$25 range. Has anyone found a better deal (either price or quality/price) online. I am assuming like most things there is a far better selection online but shipping may dilute any savings on the probe itself. I'm not looking to save $2 or $3 bucks but if a guy can get 2 online for the price of 1 in the local store than it demands a look in my opinion..Thanks..RJ
jrb03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29 08 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always recommend the Maverick ET-73. Ive had two for close to 4 years now without any issues. They claim to be 100ft remote distance, but I find it to be closer to 50ft if you take the reciever indoors. If you have the receiver outdoors it can do 100ft line of site easy. The ET-73 has two probes, one for food temp and one for smoker temp. You can set hi/low alarms on both probes. They are a little higher than the price range you gave, but I think they are a great product for their price.

A quick google search found em here, but you may be able to find a better deal. I bought mine off of amazon years ago.

http://www.ekitchengadgets.com/maresmth.html?002=17&004=483653463&005=1093182335&006=819547683&007=Search&008=&gclid=CPy5sviC6JECFQ18GgodZyxleA
Weber Performer - Blue
WSM
rjmontana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29 08 8:25 am    Post subject: Remote temp probs Reply with quote

Thanks jrb03, I guess when I typed "remote" I meant the kind with the 3' lead that plugs in but didn't realize they made one that had a truly "Remote" receiver!! This is even better.. I did some web searching and already have one on order to ship tomorrow..Won't have it for this weekend but it'll be in hand by next weekend...I'll be buying another quick if this works as well as it sounds..Thanks again, RJ in Montana..
jrb03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29 08 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, hope you enjoy!
Weber Performer - Blue
WSM
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01 08 11:39 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Ditto's on jrb03,

I have two of the units, and they will work side by side. Use them to keep track of the two butts and two briskets at comps. Nice units. And I also have found much over the 50' and you cna start to loose signal.

RandyE
Karl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03 08 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice feature of the ET-73 is that Maverick sells 6-foot long temperature probes for them. A little pricey at $17, but the extra length makes the cable and transmitter placement a lot easier for me.

I've only seen a mail order form for them:

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/parts_and_service.htm

-Karl
jrb03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03 08 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, awesome tip. I will be ordering a set. Thanks!
Weber Performer - Blue
WSM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: