FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attention Keri C. Diamond Plate smoker info
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01 06 5:51 am    Post subject: Attention Keri C. Diamond Plate smoker info Reply with quote

Hey did you get your DP50 yet ? I was just wondering how you like it.I am supposed to have mine on tues afternoon,then I will season it 3 times this week,then I am going to make some ribs and butts on Saterday,then chicken on sun. I then have a few weks to practice before a big comp here.I will try brisket next week and REALLY see how it works.If you have yours yet,how are they at amintaining temp and how fast are they at getting there ? Let me know if you can,I am getting excited about mine ! Thanks
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01 06 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czar, I have a Fat50 also, picked it up about 2 months ago and love it. Takes very little time for the temp to come up in the main chamber and it holds very well with little lump and one or two logs. The baffles on the firebox and smoke stacks make it very easy to dial the temp in and keep it there.
You will be very surprised on how well that thing will cook and how little you will now have to check the meat.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
Muscle Head BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01 06 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I save up enough money, I'm going to purchase a Fat 50 also.
Hasty-Bake Legacy
Webber Kettle
Beverage-Air Kegerator
hogleg64

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01 06 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is a fat50 exactly? Confused
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01 06 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these......... http://www.diamondplateproducts.com/FAT50Series.htm
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02 06 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranucci's Big Butt wrote:
Czar, I have a Fat50 also, picked it up about 2 months ago and love it. Takes very little time for the temp to come up in the main chamber and it holds very well with little lump and one or two logs. The baffles on the firebox and smoke stacks make it very easy to dial the temp in and keep it there.
You will be very surprised on how well that thing will cook and how little you will now have to check the meat.
I appreciate the info on it. was supposed to have mine on tues day but it is not done yet .It is supposed to be done on Wed.so I should ahve it by late Thursday.I am really llooking forward to trying it out and doing some smoking.
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02 06 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We picked ours up late Wednesday night at Jay's as we were on our way back from Colorado. I got pictures of the girls during their last night together ("the girls" being Jay's Fat 40 and my Fat 50, which Travis built at the same time -to my way of looking at it, that makes them kin.)

Have not cooked yet. Did a high-heat peanut-oil seasoning session, and a lower-heat heavy-smoke-coating resin-base-building session. Have used no charcoal of any kind as of yet - only pecan lit with a propane flame-throwin' weed burner left on the low yellow-flame setting and propped under the wood for a few minutes. I guarantee that you can easily maintain 350 in that puppy, as that was what we ran for several hours on the initial seasoning run.

Heat runs a little cooler in the back of the cooker, which can be used to advantage when cooking various meats that you want at different temps anyway. I'm still doing a 9-grid mapping project on each of the four racks to determine temp ratios - ie, if the thermometers on the front read 250, what are the temps throughout the cooker, front to back and side to side, ACTUALLY doing. Temps seem to run quite evenly from one end to the other. With the help of the snout dampers that I dreamed up and had Travis put in for us, I can instantly decrease the heat flow to one side of the cooker and concentrate it to the other side - I'm thrilled with the way these dampers worked out. They cost a little extra to put in, but if you get a Fat 50 I HIGHLY recommend begging shamelessly for "Keri's snout dampers".

We'll be doing a massive cook this next weekend, including cornbread and possibily a few other baked goods as well now that I know that baking temps can be maintained. Hey, it's an overgrown wood stove, and my ancestors baked things in woodstoves for a LOT of years. No reason I can't too.

Preliminary tests are very encouraging!

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
Hot Wire BBQ

Last edited by Robert & Keri C on Mon Oct 02 06 10:38 am; edited 3 times in total
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02 06 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keri C wrote:
We picked ours up late Wednesday night at Jay's as we were on our way back from Colorado. I got pictures of the girls during their last night together ("the girls" being Jay's Fat 40 and my Fat 50, which Travis built at the same time -to my way of looking at it, that makes them kin.)

Have not cooked yet. Did a high-heat seasoning session, and a lower-heat smoke-coating session. Have used no charcoal of any kind as of yet - only pecan lit with a propane flame-throwin' weed burner left on the low yellow-flame setting and propped under the wood for a few minute. I guarantee that you can easily maintain 350 in that puppy, as that was what we ran for several hours on the initial seasoning run.

Heat runs a little cooler in the back of the cooker, which can be used to advantage when cooking various meats that you want at different temps anyway. I'm still doing a 9-grid mapping project on each of the four racks to determine temp ratios - ie, if the thermometers on the front read 250, what are the temps throughout the cooker, front to back and side to side, ACTUALLY doing. Temps seem to run quite evenly from one end to the other. With the help of the snout dampers that I dreamed up with and had Travis put in for us, I can instantly decrease the heat flow to one side of the cooker and concentrate it to the other side - I'm thrilled with the way these dampers worked out. They cost a little extra to put in, but if you get a Fat 50 I HIGHLY recommend begging shamelessly for "Keri's snout dampers".

We'll be doing a massive cook this next weekend, including cornbread and possibily a few other baked goods as well now that I know that baking temps can be maintained. Hey, it's an overgrown wood stove, and my ancestors baked things in woodstoves for a LOT of years. No reason I can't too.

Preliminary tests are very encouraging!

Hot Wire BBQ
Cool,Cool,Cool !! I cannot wait to get mine !!! I am looking forward to it ! MAYBE it was all YOUR modifications that put mine so far behind in production ??? !! LOL !!! Just kidding ! I should have mine by thurs. it will be great to start smokin !!!
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02 06 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MAYBE it was all YOUR modifications that put mine so far behind in production ??? !! LOL !!!

Nope - wasn't me - mine was running a few days behind as well.

I think we need to start an ongoing thread for us new DP folks - particularly for us to report what fire methods are working well for us, what we're seeing in temp control, ideas for improvements, etc. Based on my experience with Jay and Travis, they are VERY open to feedback, opinions, and suggestions.

So... Alex, Alex's Dad, Jay, Travis, all ya'll other "Fattie" folks - would you care to join me in a separate Diamond Plate 101 thread wherein we could specifically share our "lessons learned and best practices" as we learn the personalities of these cookers? I don't know of any other such collection of specific Diamond Plate knowledge in one place on the web at this time (Jay or Travis, correct me if I'm wrong). I think that with the users here now, even though most of us are new with them, we could create an excellent collection of data as we learn our cookers and report our experiences.

I'm up for it if you guys are!

Hot Wire BBQ
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02 06 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see a pic of your snouts in action Laughing

Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02 06 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get some more pictures taken and posted soon.

The snout dampers aren't anything complex - as I said, they harken back to the exact same technology that our grandmothers used to control the heat in their woodstoves.

See the pipes running from the firebox into the cooking chamber, in the picture at http://public.fotki.com/winstons/diamondplate_produc/img_3823.html?
Now imagine that each of the two heat transfer pipes, or "snouts" as Travis calls them, has a round damper like this sitting upright in it, only heavier duty:

By adjusting the damper such that it sits sideways, all heat passes through unimpeded. By turning the damper up to 90 degrees, you can partially or completely block the heat from travelling through that particular snout, thus concentrating the heat flow through the other snout. If you suddenly have a undesired temp spike at a crucial time, for example, controlling it becomes almost instantaneous when you can close off both the air vents into the firebox AND the dampers going into the cook chamber. Now this setup might not appeal to everyone, but it sure does to me. I'm very pleased with the way Travis took my idea and turned it into an operational feature on my cooker.
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02 06 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the explanation...Sounds like a great idea...Enjoy your new cooker Cool
Hoochie-Que
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02 06 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keri, Alex, Jay, Czar, and Others...

Thanks so much for your fine posts and the excellent information / insight / opinions on these Boards about the DDP Fat 50!! I was SO close to ordering another smoker from another company down Houston way last week (and it is a great company, mind you)... But late one night last week, I literally "stumbled" across a post or two about the Fat 50... And well, after a lot of digging around on these boards and elsewhere, I have changed my mind... And as soon as Jay sends me his address so that I can send him a little moola (hint, hint, Jay!!), I intend to get my order placed for a new Fat 50 this week...

Keri, I am all with you regarding a Diamond Plate 101 thread... I will keep my eye open for it, and will help be a part as well... I will ask Jay/Travis about the "Keri snouts" as well... Great idea...

Thanks again... And looking forward to being a Fatty "member"...
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. There were 3 diamond plate smokers at the Charlotte Shout MIM event last week. 2 fat 50's and a 70! I think you will start seeing these more and more as long as Travis can survive all the orders.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info guys !! Yes I would very much like to start a DP thread and or section.I wish I knew of someone around me with one of these so I could go and see the smoker itself.I am wondering whats in the fire box ?Is there a steel grate in the middle and propane starter burner in the bottom ? I REALLTY wish I knew what it has inside so I could get an idea of what I have to do.I guess I will have to just suck it up and wait till near the end of the week ! Also are there vents on the fire box ? Or just the tubes going into smoking chamber ?
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a propane burner that runs the length of the firebox. On top of that is a pull out metal grate to put coals and logs on that is the entire length of the box and is very heavy duty.
There is also a vent that has a sliding arm on one side of the box to control airflow, and yes it works very well. If I have time I'll go out and take some pictures of it for ya.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert and I chose not to get either of the propane attachments - neither the propane grill option available in the cooking chamber, nor the log starter in the firebox, though I DID get the "turkey burners".

One of the tweaks that I had Travis make was to move my air intake vents - mine are located at about a 4:00 position on the firebox, just about opposite from the "snout" pipes that funnel heat into the cook chamber. Alex, it sounds like yours are in that same position, so that may be the standard now.

We lay about four or five pecan splits toward the center of the fire rack, fire up the weed burner, and prop it in the door such that the low-level flame (NOT the jet-engine-level flame) is running underneath the wood. Takes about 3 to 5 minutes to get it ignited well. You might want to leave the firebox doors cracked open a bit to help pull more air in while you're heating up. We didn't, though, and we still got plenty of heat fast. Ben Lang suggests building your fire with firebox doors AND cook chamber doors open to begin with, to get a good clean fire burning and circulating well before you first close the cook chamber doors, then the firebox doors.

For seasoning, we used some leftover peanut oil in which we had fried a turkey. I had some stout spray bottles that I had bought at a restaurant supply store, and we sprayed the fool out of the insides of the cooker and the racks while it was heating. We ran the temp up to around 375 per the trusty Ashcroft thermometers and easily kept it there for several hours to do an initial seasoning and burn off any manufacturing oils. 300 would have been fine, but Robert was having fun with the higher temps and I didn't want to spoil his fun. (You WILL need to buy thermometers for the front of the cooker, by the way - a very minimum of 4-inch probes - we'll be getting some with 6-7" probes and 5-inch faces as soon as Robert finds the ones he wants for sure - although the spare 4-inch-probe 3-inch face 50-400 Ashcrofts that Jay happened to have on hand as extras are working quite nicely.) We let it cool down, then built up a 2nd fire and damped it down, shut the top dampers to about 1/3 open, and let the smoke roll heavily to help begin building up the resin base (per Dave Klose, who says,
Quote:
"A new BBQ pit should be cured like a new iron skillet. You may chose to rub the inside of the pit with Pam, peanut oil, cooking oils, or even bacon grease left over from bacon cooked on the stove. Then you light the pit with a medium fire, say 220 degrees for those of you with smokers. Choke the smokestack control about 1/2 and let it smoke heavily. A few hours is good, the longer the better. A Pit will cure without oils, but the buildup of the resin base on the doors doesn't seem to hold very well over the years."
We kept the smoke rolling without adding any additional oil for several hours, holding the cooker at 250 at the door thermos. It held there very nicely, by the way, with a bed of pecan coals and one or two burning splits.

A note about the stacks - I got the chrome package, which means that I have honest-ta-Pete Peterbilt smokestacks on my cooker. Very Happy Jay taught me that his Fat 50, and ours, I now know, prefers to have the damper on the stacks closed just a little bit, as it helps equalize the incoming and outgoing air volumes. This may not be the case with the non-chrome stacks, however - I don't know if the chrome stacks and non-chrome stacks are the same size, though I presume they are.

If you got the steam injector, note that it will work nicely to set a pot on to heat up sauce, water for a pitcher of iced tea, etc. Just as a test I put about a quart and a half of cold water in a basic kitchen saucepan, and while it didn't come to a full rolling boil, it did come to a decent simmer before too long.

Don't be worried if the paint burns off parts of your firebox after the first burn or two, especially if you run it hot like we did. That happens on pretty much all cookers - in fact, I can now see part of the stock numbers that Travis had written on his firebox steel before it was painted. As the cooker is cooling off, though, just wipe off any loose paint flakes and wipe the affected areas of the firebox and snout seams down with an oiled rag or spray it down with Pam, and she'll be perfectly happy.

(who evidently can't write a short post to save her life...)
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU!

I am just now getting some chair time and going thru this thread. What a wonderful family BBQers are. You folks stepped up and answered all the questions so well that I feel like I wasn't even missed. Crying or Very sad

But it is sure nice to have knowledgable and happy DDP owners out there.

Mike,
I sent you an email this afternoon. Let me know if you have not got it yet.

Keri,
Thank you so much for all your great post.

Jay
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We now need a DP or two mounted on a concession trailer, one on each end!

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQCZAR wrote:
I appreciate the info on it. was supposed to have mine on tues day but it is not done yet .It is supposed to be done on Wed.so I should ahve it by late Thursday.I am really llooking forward to trying it out and doing some smoking.

I am truly sorry about the delay. Nobody wants to get smokers delivered faster than me. I try to estimate delivery to the best of my ability, but I do miss by a few days occasionally. I also refuse to compromise quality in exchange for speed. With that in mind, I promise the wait will be well worth it.

Thanks everyone for the praise. I have wanted to start a board for everyone to post on and compare ideas. That is where I draw from on design changes. Just can't seem to find the time with all the orders to fill. We're building 2 1/2 units per week now and still have a 6 wk backlog in October. For instance, we've overwhelmed our wheel supplier. We're the top buyer in the country of the small Pacer chrome wheels, and have dried up inventory across the country for the next couple of weeks or so. Please be patient, a board is on the list of things to do (<hint, hint, Jay).

I only get to visit the site here every couple of days, but I always find right ups that make all the long hours seem worth it.

Thanks!!

Travis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: