FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whole Ham

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wild West BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 04 2007    Post subject: Whole Ham Reply with quote

I've got a raw ham about 18 pounds.. this is a new one for me I don't want to dry it out I have a large smoker a can do 20 butts at a time with out a hitch but I've never done a raw ham before. Any sugestions for time and tempeture I have dry rubbed it and put it on at 200 I wonder how hot it needs to be inside when it is done, don't want to over cook it. thanks
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Dec 24 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to smoke whole hams in a BBQ restaurant i owned it takes quite a while to get them done, dut to the thickness of the ham and also bone in.You have to be careful and be sure it gets done down to the bone. I would almost think it would be done when it gets to about 190-200 range at the thickest part.I haven't cooked 1 in 20 years but i hope this helps.Have a digital probe ?
glued2it

PostPosted: Dec 29 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

raw ham I'm assuming it's a uncured ham/fresh ham? That's basicly a roast.

For slicing you'll want to cook to internal temp 165
goosekilla

PostPosted: Mar 08 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little off topic. Before I was introduced to smoking meat I convinved my father-in-law to deep fry a fresh ham in a turkey fryer. My uncle runs the meat dept. at his families grocerie store and got us one. He said "You are going to do WHAT?!?!??!" Anyway is was the best ham I ever had up to that point. Used the same cooking times as for turkeys. It was not at all greasy as we all expected. Very flavorful and juicy.

Hope I did not commit a cardinal sin by recommending deep frying on a smoking thread.

May try smoking for a couple hours for flavor then fry for cooking.

I think I will try that myself.

I shoot a 10ga cuase you can't use an 8!!!
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mar 08 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a few of these whole hams in the past. Smoked with pecan at around 250 until ~180 internal. Sliced great. Remember that these will come out like a roast pork since they are not cured. Should not dry out on ya. Still good eats though.

James.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: