FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
c.j

PostPosted: Feb 27 2008    Post subject: need advice Reply with quote

when i smoke meat in my barrel type smoker(wal-mart) the bark has a burnt taste. i keep the temp. @ 225 & spray with apple juice. i use apple wood in the smoke box.
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Feb 27 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using for fuel?

Wood only or Charcoal and wood?

If you're only using wood, the chances are that your fire is smoldering and large instead of small and hot.

If I was in your shoes, I'd start with a chimney of charcoal, lump or briquettes, get that well lit, then pop on 1 or 2 apple wood logs for the flavor and additional heat.

You are better with a thin blue haze than a thick white smoke, also give your cooking chamber a chance to get up to temperature before you put your meat in. This can be as long as 30 - 40 minutes, but it will stop some of the smoke settling ou onto the meat or condensing inside the chamber and dripping onto the meat.

By building a small hot fire, you make sure the combustion process is as efficient as possible, every second, (or third), set of logs, start another 1/2 chimney of charcoal to maintain the bed of coals under the fire. don't just load the firebox with unlit charcoal and wood, as this will drag your pit temperature down and the fire won't burn as efficiently as it could.

Don't spray more often than once an hour, because "if your looking then you ain't cooking" the open door drops the temperature in the cooking chamber and it takes extra time to bring the temperature back up to the 225 - 250 F that you want it to be at.

I still work here!
c.j

PostPosted: Mar 04 2008    Post subject: need advice Reply with quote

i use wood & charcoal. i will try a smaller fire. thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: