FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for briquette options - Charleston, SC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derrick300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05 12 1:13 am    Post subject: Looking for briquette options - Charleston, SC Reply with quote

Hello all, i'm looking for briquette options other than Kingsford original in the Mount Pleasant/Charleston SC. area.

Stubbs
Wicked Good
etc...

Thanks in advance
Derrick
M&Emike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06 12 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cook-n-out, outdoor cooking supply in Charleston has an all natural briquette, which is essentially lump charcoal dust compacted into a briquette. They are far better than Kingsford, but not as good as lump (in my opinion).
zysmith
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 12 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE FIRE HOUSE CASUAL LIVING STORE
709 Johnnie Dodds Boulevard ~ Suite A
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina 29464
(843) 881-3599
firepatio@aol.com

...is listed as carrying Wicked Good. They make a briquette that's all natural. If they don't carry it, maybe they will order it for you or you can always order it straight from wicked Good.
zysmith
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 12 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you wanted to look at a review

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/kingsfordcompetition/kingsfordcompetition.htm
Smokin Stang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22 12 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get Stubbs at Lowe's and it is good charcoal. It is about 8.50 a bag but you can catch it on sale once a year for about 4.25 a bag or buy one get one free.
JohnVan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 12 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rancher charcoal is a very good choice if you can find it. They also package their charcoal for Trader Joes. $6.99 for a 18 pound bag. Looks like you have a Trader Joes nearby.

Traders Joes
401 Johnnie Dodds Blvd.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Pit Barrel Cooker
DigiQ II
ICUE 110
Smokergreg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15 13 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...is listed as carrying Wicked Good. They make a briquette that's all natural. If they don't carry it, maybe they will order it for you or you can always order it straight from wicked Good.

This is one of the few products out there where the name is really what it is, its wicked good. I read some good posts about it on these forums and found it at a bbq shop here. Ive only tried royal oak (red) but the Wicked Good beat it hands down. Lasts longer and it seemed to burn hotter.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15 13 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a chance to get it without paying shipping(I never do but paid through the nose to try) you should definitely get some wicked good!!! The longest lasting I've ever tried and it has a really nice smokiness to it. Although I'm thinking that Kamodo Joe bought out wicked good. So there may not be a wicked good option for briquettes anymore As I don't think kamodo joe has briquettes.

I looked on their site and found a place in mnt pleasant that supposedly carries it. I'd give them a call to make sure before I headed out the door.

THE FIRE HOUSE CASUAL LIVING STORE
709 Johnnie Dodds Boulevard ~ Suite A
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina 29464
(843) 881-3599
saltwatercowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18 13 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried various high end briquettes listed here on the ring and have no complaints with the flavor. But I don't like the large amount of ash that I have to deal with in the ash pan of my Stumps. I have gone back to Royal Oak lump with pecan splits. Works for me..
If your not living on the edge your taking up too much room...
sixfofalcon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03 13 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnVan wrote:
Rancher charcoal is a very good choice if you can find it. They also package their charcoal for Trader Joes. $6.99 for a 18 pound bag. Looks like you have a Trader Joes nearby.

Traders Joes
401 Johnnie Dodds Blvd.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

I second this, with one caveat:
One of the TJ's near me always leaves their charcoal on a pallet in front of the store. It's under an awning, but it still picks up a lot of moisture and gets very "sparky" if you don't purchase it shortly after the pallet was delivered to the store.

But it's damn good charcoal for the price--pretty low on ash production (as far as briquettes go) and it really has a pleasant aroma even when it's first lighting up. Kinda nutty. I try to pick up a shopping cart full at a time whenever I see that the pallet is mostly full and therefore probably fresh.
southpaw_1979

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05 13 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started using Kingsford competion, claims to be all natural and to burn hotter, Used it to grill pork chops on the grill in the fire box for dinner seems reasonable. Bit harder to get lit, but once it was lit it burned a long time,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: