FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked Foods vs. My Stomach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bribo179

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21 07 5:54 am    Post subject: Smoked Foods vs. My Stomach Reply with quote

I have recently gotten a smoker and have smoked a few times now. Right now I am using Royal Oak lump, a natural hardwood briquette, and wood chunks.

I preburn everything to help with creosote and my food has always tasted very good. The problem is I usually get a mild stomach ache after eating. I generally have a rock hard stomach for eating foods.

Is this something alot of people experience? Is my body just going to have to get use to this?
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21 07 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is your age,40plus? money problems lately? lack of sleep? martial problems? life style change? Check yes to any of the above & welcome to to world. If all not get a check-up...
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21 07 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it just be as simple as your eyes are bigger than your stomach?

You may just be eating more than you should, and perhaps not having seconds is a way of helping reduce belly bustering! Wink

I still work here!
USDA Monkey
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21 07 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have gotten stomach aches after eating bbq or wicked smokey heart burn which is even worse. I cut back on the amout of smoke I use and try not to eat too much at once. That seems to help. I also stopped using chile powder in my rubs and that really helped.

Glad you brought up the subject. I thought I was the only one being a wuss.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22 07 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to put a thermometer in your frig. About four years ago I started having stomach problems, it took me two years to zero in on the problem. My stomach problems started mild at first but got worse as time went by. I live alone, if I had family we would have figured it out right away, with everyone having the same problem at the same time. My frig was not holding it's temp during the day (mainly in the Summer) so all of the fresh food was going above 40*f every day, by the time I would get home it would seem OK. It was not a new frig but I thought that when they stopped working they just quit. I now keep thermometers in both the freezer and frig of the new appliance.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22 07 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to getting older and losing your cast iron stomach!

Fortunately you'll find that the thing you'll need to cut back on isn't smoked foods as much as what I call CHARRED food. Yes, that means a little less bark.

I bet ribs are the one's that REALLY kick you in the balls, right?

EDIT: Oh...one more thing. I've found that making sure you have a healthy amount of veggies and other goodies really helps quite a bit. And....you may want to take a look at how much milk products you use while eating smokey foods. That can be a mean combo for a stomach that's lost its machismo.
CtheSmoke
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23 07 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexium is my friend... Laughing
ShotgunBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 07 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem till I started removing my belt before I sat down to eat... my wife will always remind me now that I either need less food on my plate or to take my belt off.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 07 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CtheSmoke wrote:
Nexium is my friend... Laughing

Prevacid is my weapon of choice. Could eat lava while I'm on prevacid.

Only problem is even with insurance the stuff is $50 a month. Booo. Evil or Very Mad
Big Mike
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 07 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using Nexium myself. My doctor had me taking one pill a day.

Now I just go to kroger and by the Kroger brand heartburn relief, Ranitidine Tablets, 75mg Acid Reducer. I take one a day and they work just as good as Nexium or Prilosec but it only costs me $7 for a bottle of 60 pills. And, if I hit them at the right time, they run a buy one get one free sale so it is 120 pills for $7.

Eagle River BBQ
CBJ
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Smokin Tex ST1400
Chargriller Charcoal Grill
Members Mark 8-burner Gasser
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 07 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - Prevacid...

I can't drink a glass of water without the stuff Shocked

tony
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 07 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys always had rough stomachs?

or did this happen with age?

I actually do not know what heartburn feels like, I am just hoping this isn't something I can expect to have with increasing age.
Big Mike
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 07 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has happened with age. It started in my early 30s, now I am 42. Before that I could eat anything and everything.

I don't really have heartburn. My problem is overactive stomach acid, which means when I eat it breaks it down so fast that I am running to the bathroom 7 or 8 times a day. So I take the acid reducer and it keeps me pretty normal. I still have to watch things like lettuce and broccoli though.

Eagle River BBQ
CBJ
Smokin Tex ST1400
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04 07 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Have you guys always had rough stomachs?

or did this happen with age?

I actually do not know what heartburn feels like, I am just hoping this isn't something I can expect to have with increasing age.

I have had G.I.R.D since I was a teenager. Stuff hurts so bad it keeps me up at night and even makes me physically weak. Prevacid is the first and only pill that has ever worked on me. And believe me, I've tried'em all since I don't like the price on prevacid.

Tony's comment about not drinking water without it was funny. I can go without eating a thing or drinking and my acid production will bring me to my knees without prevacid or PILES of tums/rolaids. Sure was a fantastic feeling the first time I was pain free for 24 hours. Smile
pullit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04 07 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on Pepcid 40 mg and if I eat a lot if smokie food I will have to use Rolaids.
I have found that the smokier the meat, the harder it hits me. I also found that less BBQ sauce is better for me as well....
I am pushing 50 real hard. My problems started years ago when I was in a HIGH STRESS job. I was taking 80MG of Pepcid a day and eatting a big bottle of Rolaids a week.....
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11 07 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age is getting to me (I'm only 39), but it could also be stress at work. In my younger days, I had much less responsibility, as we get older, we have more stress and responsibilities.

Then again, maybe I should just eat more healthy food!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11 07 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I developed a Hiatal hernia when I was about 25 and it gets worse than normal sometimes so I dont know what life is like with out daily heartburn..

Some things will set it off more than others like fried foods.. Shocked
LIAR #100
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11 07 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know i`m not alone on this one.... i have "All" the same problems. I used to eat rolaids like candy, stated taking prilosec (little pink pill) till i started getting a nasty ringing in my ears. Went to the doctor and he said to stop taking them. Shocked Well the ringing stopped but the heartburn did not. Now i take zantac maybe every 2 - 3 days then skip a day or two. Its working for now but we`ll see what side effects i get from this stuff.
Its tough getting old.....
Big Mike
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11 07 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff T wrote:
Good to know i`m not alone on this one.... i have "All" the same problems. I used to eat rolaids like candy, stated taking prilosec (little pink pill) till i started getting a nasty ringing in my ears. Went to the doctor and he said to stop taking them. Shocked Well the ringing stopped but the heartburn did not. Now i take zantac maybe every 2 - 3 days then skip a day or two. Its working for now but we`ll see what side effects i get from this stuff.

Ain't that the truth.

Eagle River BBQ
CBJ
Smokin Tex ST1400
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12 07 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff T wrote:
The only side affect from zan-tec is it nutralizes so much of your stomach acid that your system makes more after it wears off..Catch -22.. For anyone that thinks it is smoked foods causing their burn try drinking a glass of citrus juice at the end of a stressful day & see what happens..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: