FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pics Of smoker construction in progress

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coal miner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jan 28 2008    Post subject: pics Of smoker construction in progress Reply with quote

Son in law and Friends asked me to build them one. tank 30"x72" anhydrous tank that had been open for several years. friends own and operate a trucking and custom spray and fertilizer business.first the trailer24"x24" firebox inside of tank door from fireboxhope I have'nt slowed things down too much. thanks for looking. Will follow up with more pics.
txfireguy2003
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jan 28 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks REALLY nice man. I'm working on one very similar, only a little smaller. I was wondering if you could post some closeups of your latching mechanisms on the main cooker doors as well as the firebox doors. I'm also having a little trouble seeing how those air inlets on the firebox work. Mine, hopefully, is going to have butterfly valves for the intake, but if that doesn't work out, I'll still have some big holes with short sections of pipe sticking out like yours and may need to look at your design for some ideas on how to adjust the airflow. Again, great looking pit.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Jan 28 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've got a great pit in the works there... Keep up the progress pics!

James.
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jan 29 2008    Post subject: smoker construction in progress Reply with quote

thanks for the compliments. txfire guy , heres some pics of air intakes on the firebox . The caps screw off to allow the air in. The square pcs will have a chain attached to them and then to the door to keep from losing them. The other pic shows the latch layout. The 3rd one shows the diffuser over the damper from the firebox,that damper w/ the air inlets in and out of the firebox and the dampers on the exhaust stack should give it plenty of heat control. I hope anyway!! Will put tuning plates from the diffuser Last pic of the door w/ racks started,I'm going to have upper and lower ones [/img][img][/img][img][/img]
txfireguy2003
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jan 29 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good to me. Only thing I would suggest is that the caps will not have to come all the way off. Just crack them a little for a little air, open them a little more for more air. Once you get them screwed so far out, taking them all the way off won't really increase airflow much at all unless you have a wind blowing straight into the holes, which IMO, is not a good thing anyway. Said another way, let's say those are 2" holes (I'm sure they are bigger, but 2" makes the calculations easier. The area of the hole is 3.14 sq inches, and the circumfrence of the hole is 6.28 inches. So, if the gap between the cap and the hole is 1/2" you will have the same "opening" as an open hole with no cap. Once you exceed the 1/2" gap, you're not really creating any more opening, and therefor no more flow capacity. Of course, that isn't taking into account the restriction due to the air having to change direction, but that should be negligable anyway. So, if your gap is 1/2" or less, you're restricting airflow, but once you get over 1/2", you might as well be "wide open" because it's all relative to the open area of the hole. At least that's how I learned flow rates, I could be wrong.
coal miner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jan 29 2008    Post subject: air flow Reply with quote

txfire guy,exactly my thinking also on the cfm or air flow thru a restricted opening. Had the one off to show the construction of it. Chains to keep it on the smoker going down the road when someone forgets to lock them down.One thing I did'nt point out was the handle on the damper to adjust it,hopefully wont have to,but does give you another control variable. Got the exhaust stacks fabricated,will try to post some pics again after get them fitted to the cooker.
txfireguy2003
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jan 30 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH okay, I get it now. I was thinking you were planning on taking the caps off completely while cooking, but you already had it all figured out! The chains make sense now that I think about it...we have them on all the caps for the discharges on the fire engines for exactly that reason. Lots of road vibrations on them 50K+ pound rigs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: