FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cooking a venison roast
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHRIS 1237
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03 05 4:57 am    Post subject: cooking a venison roast Reply with quote

The guy I get my apple wood from gave me two of the these. do any of you guys have any idea how to do these. I was thinking of rubing them down wraping them in bacon and smokeing them at 300F I have no idea what temp to pull them off at. they are bone less and are about 3-4 pounds each.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03 05 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd cook them just like a butt. Slow and low till they get to 190. As for spices, I'd use more herb based than BBQ. I would wrap in bacon and maybe foil them for the last few hours as deer does not have much fat.

Deer has a lot of tendons and connective tissue. Slow and low will help with the toughness.

Let us know how this goes.
kjash13
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11 05 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-O wrote:
I'd cook them just like a butt. Slow and low till they get to 190. As for spices, I'd use more herb based than BBQ. I would wrap in bacon and maybe foil them for the last few hours as deer does not have much fat.

Deer has a lot of tendons and connective tissue. Slow and low will help with the toughness.

Let us know how this goes.

I'll be trying this soon as well... deer season opens next weekend, and you can't seem to take a step without bumping into a deer this fall...
bororyan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24 06 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any report on this?
cajun_1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23 06 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrapped with bacon...are we refering to cheap bacon with alot of fat, or bacon at moderate price?
GOSM
Fridge Smoker (in progress)
Traeger BBQ 150
Smoker1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24 06 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Steve-O"]I'd cook them just like a butt. Slow and low till they get to 190. As for spices, I'd use more herb based than BBQ. I would wrap in bacon and maybe foil them for the last few hours as deer does not have much fat.

Let us know how this goes.[/quote

190 for venison sounds high, would it be to dry at this temp?
Thorbq

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17 06 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on the venison? I have just been tasked with smoking the Christmas roast.
TheArtfuldodger
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 07 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
190 for venison sounds high, would it be to dry at this temp?

Anyone have any experience at smoking venison roast? What should the internal temperature be?
Cool Cool Cool

I plan to brine the meat over night. Should I spritz or wrap in foil at any point?
Vertical smoker (old no-name)
Weber Kettle
Big Coleman Gas grill
Char-broil 7000 w/ RK Drum and gear motor (coffee roasting only)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 07 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it up to about 180. I ALWAYS do them when I'm doin' brisket. I trim the fat cap off and drape it over the venison. It is AWESOME Cool. I also just use my standard rub...

It's pretty tasty to cube it up at that point, sauce it up in a pan, and give it another hour in the cooker to let the sauce soak in...MMM

Regards,
Tony
Suzy's Q

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25 07 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do venison like I do beef roast and smoke it to 120 degrees larding with bacon will definately add flavor. I also make a stock to make a brine with and brine for 24 hours
Critical_Mass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06 07 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I do

Soak in a brine of

Kosher salt 1/2 cup
2 quarts water

Soak for 4 hours

Inject lightly with Olive oil and apple cider

Slather with Mustard and rub with any good beef rub

Wrap with bacon

Place on smoker at 275 degree
Spray every 30 mins with a mix of Apple cider and rum (sailor Jerry spiced is what I use)

Leave on until it hits 140 pull off

Tent with foil for 25 mins

Slice and enjoy with sauted shrooms and onions.
Forkin Pork
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08 08 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do my venision meats like BEEF as well
Cook @ 200 to 225 ........till the internal temps reachs 125 to 130
Then rap in foil or 1/2 hour or a bit more if it's a large meat.
I slice thin slices 1/4" no more........against the grain and on an angle.

Just my way, hope it helps

Ceritfied KCBS Judge
Weber Silver. ECB, UDS
Up Graded Backwoods Party w/GURU
2011 Lang 84 Deluxe
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 08 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any pics and success stories of their venison roasts?

In this thread, I see cooking temps as low as 220 and as high as 275. Also target internal temps as low as 120 and as high as 190.

Those are some big differences for a piece of meat without much fat in it. I was given a roast from a hind-quarter that I'll be cooking New Years day. But I don't know which suggestions to go with since they are quite different. Question Question

Thanks.

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 08 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SStory wrote:
Does anyone have any pics and success stories of their venison roasts?

I cook a lot of game throughout the year and includes moose, caribou, venison, elk, etc…

Game meat is very, very lean and IMO cooking it to 190 is blasphemy! Taking it over 160* will start to dry it out much like pork loin.

I don’t have any pics, but did a moose chuck roast for Christmas and would do the same for venison.

Marinade in red cooking wine with a package of dry onion soup mix mixed in overnight.

If you want gravy, place in a shallow pan with the marinade and cover in bacon. If you don’t want gravy, skip the pan and wrap in bacon. If it is a de-boned hind quarter, I would stuff with minced garlic, minced onions, and fresh asiago cheese.

I cook mine at 225 to 250*F to an internal temp of 155*F. Some would argue to pull it at 160*F as found here.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21665

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 08 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Teleking! I also found this other thread and the brine and rub sound pretty good too.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5695

I think I'm going to give this a try and then pull it at 140 to prevent it from drying out. The carry-over during resting should take it on up to 145. I'll be doing a couple of pheasant breasts also (from everything I've been able to find so far, it looks like the breasts should be taken to 170, similar to chicken). Everything will be wrapped up with bacon during cooking (how can you go wrong with something wrapped in bacon) Laughing Laughing

I've just never done anything like either of these before and seeing such wide range of cooking techiniques had me a little concerned. But it sounds like what I am going to try is pretty much in line with some of your suggestions (although your marinade sounds much easier). I guess if this round doesn't work out -- I know some hunters and I'll get more to try again.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
tfair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooking venison, which has virtually no fat the same way as pork butts which push 40%-50% fat, will result in something if carved to the right shape that is very similar to a hockey puck. The only exception to this is to cook it to that temp covered in liquid until the meat falls apart. Unfortunately, all of the flavor of the meat is in the liquid at this point, which is fine if you're making stew...We're not making stew here...

My best results over 20 years of trying have been boneless pieces with NO fat or tallow, from the hind quarter or loin that have been marinated in your favorite red meat marinade for a couple days. Mine always seems to include bourbon, worcestershire, brown sugar and garlic. I keep the pieces to a couple pounds or so, wrap them in bacon, or onions and bacon and smoke them at 225 or so and pull them off at 140 degrees. These usually only take about 2 hrs. Foil them for a short rest and slice against the grain. The hardest part is having any leftover the next day. I'm cooking a bunch of venison this weekend and I'll post a few pics of the results, if I can keep my friends from eating it all while I'm cooking the rest of the meat that takes longer...
AlphaTwin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02 11 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect such a long dead thread, but you wouldn't happen to have some measurements for those ingredients you referred to in your marinade, would you?

A buddy of mine went bow hunting and got a deer this weekend, he'd like me to smoke a roast for him, this is my first attempt at Venison so I really don't want to screw it up, and your recipe looks pretty darn good.

Anyway thanks
Eric

Last edited by AlphaTwin on Wed Nov 02 11 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfair

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02 11 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one:
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsb garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup water.

Mix all ingredients and inject the roast saving 1/2 cup of the marinade, refridgerate for 1-2 days before smoking. wrap with bacon and smoke @225
until roast reaches 140, basting occasionally with remaining marinade.

I generally use the "football" shaped muscle from the hind quarters for this recipe, and it doesn't seem to ever result in leftovers...
AlphaTwin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02 11 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, can't wait to give it a go.

Thanks tfair
AlphaTwin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07 11 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfair wrote:
Try this one:
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup water.

Mix all ingredients and inject the roast saving 1/2 cup of the marinade, refrigerate for 1-2 days before smoking. wrap with bacon and smoke @225
until roast reaches 140, basting occasionally with remaining marinade.

I generally use the "football" shaped muscle from the hind quarters for this recipe, and it doesn't seem to ever result in leftovers...

Just a small follow up here, HOLY SHIAT, this was amazing.

I might not use the bourbon next time but all in all, WOW.

I made the marinade Friday after work and let it set until about 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon. I didn't have an injector until right before I put it on so it wasn't injected the entire time. I also forgot to put the bacon on until about an hour and a half after it had been smoking but I was being diligent about my basting so it was still very moist.

I cooked it at 225-ish alternating between apple and red oak (red oak is my favorite) until it reached an internal temp of 145. Now it was still a bit bloody (I'm not sure if I should be concerned about eating bloody wild game), but it was amazing. Moist, and tender and absolutely delicious.

Thanks so much for the recipe tfair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: