FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple of questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShotgunBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21 08 3:41 pm    Post subject: Couple of questions Reply with quote

I am having a problem with the lid on my Charbroil SilverSmoker. Over the last two cooks, it has acted like it was glued shut. It looks like something black dripping down from the lid and making the lid stick shut. The inside of the lid has a shiny, glossy, thick coat of this stuff. It almost resembles frozen molasses. What is this and how do I clean it off? I tried SOS pads to no avail and then tried a putty knife scraping it off and it looks like it will be some work. I believe I was told that for creosote buildup to use a weed burner. If I dont have a weed burner but do have a torch for soldering pipe, would that work or would it warp the thin gauge metal?
Also, I am thinking about getting the NB Super Longhorn Deluxe and selling the Silver Smoker. I read the thread AlienBBQ put up on the Brinkman (?) smoker mods with the tuning plates. Would you still need to do this mod to the Longhorn? I am not sure as I think I read somewhere that the thicker metal holds the temps better.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21 08 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you got a creosote problem,what would happen if you stoked up the smoker and got it all warmed up,would you maybe be able to scrape it out then,and as for your question about thicker metal holding the heat,it's true once you get them warmed up they do hold heat better.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Kilted-Cue'r

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22 08 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Evening, Shotgun!
Same thing happened with my brothers smoker. He was ready to torch it down to scrap when one of he decided to try and heat it up. He got it hot, hot, hot and we scraped it off with a couple of cold steel chisels and welding gloves! Works great now!
Hope this helps!
salinte
Go Vols!
-------------------------------------------------------
Any man can que, but not any man can que in a kilt
ShotgunBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22 08 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im tryin... got my lil torch and a putty knife for a scraper. This stuff is like tar. Heat it up and it goes everywhere. I am having trouble with the lid...where I started Sad ... I am getting it off in 1" passes, but Im getting the paint off too. I guess after I'm done I'll head over and get some high heat paint and refinish the smoker. The bad part is, this smoker is 2 months old. Before I burn anything in my new smoker (two weeks away Very Happy ) Im going to get a moister meter and check my wood before I burn it. I have a stack of oak that I refuse to cook with right now as I think this was the culprit of all evil. I'll have the new smoker before this one is cleaned up and ready to use again so Im out of luck with any que unless I want to fire up my old barrell.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22 08 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have green wood,if the smoker is only 2 months old and you are having that bad of creosote problem,your fire is not burning hot enough or your would is real green.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
glued2it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22 08 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
You must have green wood,if the smoker is only 2 months old and you are having that bad of creosote problem,your fire is not burning hot enough or your would is real green.

Yep CB that pretty much covers it!

Now the most important thing about smoking is;
You want your smoke to be thin and blue and not white billowing.
White smoke will create creosote build up. I have never had build up like you explained in my smoker by using seasoned wood and thin blue smoke.

ShotgunBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23 08 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quit using the oak I got from a fire wood supplier here in town and been using only big johns grillwood lately. Does anyone know how long their wood is seasoned?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23 08 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set a charcoal fire in the main chamber and it should carbonize the goo.
SIMPLE Q
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23 08 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my silver smoker "resin" up like that when I used a lot of mediocre seasoned oak. It actually looked like some one painted the inside with a gloss black paint. I didn't do anything to the inside but quit using the above said oak and it(resin) just went away with time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: