FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally screwed up this summer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pARTYCOOKER
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 05 12:47 am    Post subject: Finally screwed up this summer Reply with quote

Well I made my first bad mistake catering last wekeend and I thought I would share with others so no one will make the same mistake. Although Mike I am sure knows better. I know I will never make the same mistake again.

Did a wedding reception at SMith Mtn. Lake for 125 people and it turned out great. Q was great, Chiken and ribs was great and everything went fine excpet I ran out of seet tea.

It was pushing 90 that day and these Bedford County, VA country folks were out there for four hours before the party and ofcourse they were gulping down my tea before the dinner was even served. There was a lot of activities going on plus with the hot sun so people were gulping it down.I made 10 gallons of sweet tea and 5 gallons of un-sweet tea. (More then enough on every other occasion). But here is where I went wrong.

Every catering job I did this summer and I mean every one there was other drinks provided. Booze, Beer, Punch, water you name it. Previously on all other jobs the guest were using my sweet tea as a sipping drink and thats it. Which explains why I always had so much left over. Well this wedding that I did last weekend there was NO drink of any kind, I was the sole provider of all liquid refreshments and I didn't know it. I just assumed that ther would be other drinks there. Thats where I screwed up.
I didn't ask.

What to do next time I get a catering call:
1. Ask if there will be other drinks being provided that day.
2. Ask about the activites during the day and child/person ratio.

Neverthess the party went great besides the tea and the client was very very happy with our service. Plus the extra suprise of 10 racks of ribs that they didn't order really shmoozed them over.!
I normally don't do that but this mother was such a joy to work with and so easy I thought I would throw in a little suprise with unexpected ribs.

PARTy-ON! People.

The Partycooker
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 05 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info. Thank you!

I hope to do some catering soon and I will sure remember this post. I also like the free ribs idea. I may steal that one. Wink

Jay
BiteMe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 05 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet they don't remember that you ran out of tea- only that you gave them some extra ribs. Way to go. I'm new to the catering thing but I do work in sales and little perks like that make and keep customers. They don't need to be big things just something that shows you care about the business you get from them.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 05 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you handled things just fine! Very Happy Running out of food, now that would be a totally different story! Crying or Very sad When my clients specify drinks, I always try to let them know exactly what thet are getting to avoid confusion on their part. Sounds like this was partly on the client. Either way, the extra ribs I am sure more than made up for the tea shortage!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: