FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicken brine recipe needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 05 2:52 am    Post subject: Chicken brine recipe needed Reply with quote

I need some help with a brine recipe for a big ass chicken I plan to smoke for my family on Canadian thanksgiving. If you all could be so kind as to help me out with this endeavour.
LIAR #100
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 05 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this...

http://www.cookshack.com/barbeque_guide/101/Brining101.htm

This is courtesy of Smokin' Okie.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 05 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

Have ya ever tried this and if so how is the finished product..??
LIAR #100
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 05 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the simple brine #one. 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar to Gal. of water works well for me. Chickens, turkey, brats. Nice an moist, tender. Softens up the skin on brats, extracts some of the fat and speeds up cooking time a little on poultry i think.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 05 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

Thanks for the link to that site, some great information but what I want to know is how does the finished product taste, I understand how it will add moisture to the meat through osmosis but does it make the chicken taste better and if so how is it different, spacifics please. I want to try it as you guys mention it often but I will be feeding a house full of folks and if its too out there in flavour they may not like it. Shocked

Got to keep em all happy happy as I do have a reputation to uphold.. Laughing
LIAR #100
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 05 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add any type of flavor(or flavour Laughing ) you want in the brine, and it will impart that flavor along with moisture, to the meat. I've brined chicken and turkey in a modified version of brine #2(I added fresh rosemary to the brine)and it comes out great. You don't brine long enough to change the texture of the meat any.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28 05 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for posting that link to Brining 101. It gets quite a few reads as Brining is one of those topics we hear about but don't know much about. I guess it's like a lot of cooking methods, some love it and some hate it.

Roxy,

Yes it will change the taste -- for the better. The flavours of the brine will transport into the chicken. Realize this, a lot of food you buy that says "15% solution added" is actually that they inject the food with a brine. (and because it's in there too long, some of that stuff can have a weird texture. that's why I brine my own so I can control flavour and time).

Here's how I recommend people "test" if brining works and the taste.

Take some chicken breasts (bone in or bone out).

Take one set (a couple or more) and brine them for 4 to 6 hours

Take one set and don't brine.

Keeping them separate, then finish them with the same rub and do a blind taste test with your friends.

The fun is then building the "flavours" you want for your tastes. Those brines are pretty simple. Just remember the brine will carry flavours, so add/modify as you want.

We did the test on Thanksgiving, with two turkeys. The family voted for the brined bird 100%. They didn't know which was which.

The common comment is "it makes the meat mushy" Well, I've done a lot of tests and don't find that to be true unless you brine a really long time. Long enough and you will affect the protein molecules. Most comments are that it's juicier than normal.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 05 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie:

Thanks dude, I am going to try this for sure with our thanksgiving bird. My smoker is not big enough, height wise to hold a big turkey so I am lookng for a small turkey or a big assed capon to do, in the 8 lb rage I think. From what I have found, about an hour a pound seems the norm, would you agree with this..?? And if I may ask for your advice on temp what do you think is best, in the 170 range..?

Your input is most appreciated.
LIAR #100
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 05 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy....and hr/lb is too long for a turkey. Mine go 6-6.5 hrs for a 12 lb. bird at 250-275. I don't cook to temp on them as much as the feel of the thigh. When its got some good wiggle to it and the thigh juices run clear....youre done.

Good Luck!!
dholcomb1946
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 05 3:16 am    Post subject: Chicken Brining Reply with quote

I use the 1/2 cup each salt/sugar and some other spices to preference. I actually soak the birds overnight in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator.

Before I brined, I would get some birds with really dry meat even when not overcooked. Since I started brining I get a moist, tender, pull apart bird. Since I rub it before smoking, it has a smoke ring, pink like ham color, and is as spicy as what you put on it.

If I have the time, I won't cook without the brine Exclamation
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 05 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
Roxy....and hr/lb is too long for a turkey. Mine go 6-6.5 hrs for a 12 lb. bird at 250-275. I don't cook to temp on them as much as the feel of the thigh. When its got some good wiggle to it and the thigh juices run clear....youre done.

Good Luck!!

So you say less time and higher temp for turkey, well thats good to hear, wasnt looking forward to a long smoke just for big bird, now I will have time to do a smoker full of ABT's as well.

Thanks Mike
LIAR #100
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 05 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might depend on the brine you use (salty), how long to do it. I do 20-24lb birds and brine them overnight. I use apple juice and cranberry juice mixed with spices (rosemary ect) and then I throw in some papaya with it. It always comes out juicy and very flavorful. I think I usually inject it with juice and spices as well, I'll have to check, then I smoke it breast side down. Mmmm I'm gettin hungry!.....and tired lol
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 05 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy,
Not big ebough? What type of smoker do you have?
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 05 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy.

Do a test run before the big day just to verify what brine flavors you like. I always hate to wait until a big day to experiment.

Brined birds will do faster.

And turkey is like chicken. If you smoke chicken at too low a temp, you get good smoke flavour, but not great skin. I have good success doing them above 300.

Here's my link to another "how to" I do occassionally. I haven't updated in a while, but it helps on Turkey. Smoker doesn't matter, I've had them all and I try to post recipes that are smoker independent.

Turkey 101:
http://cookshack.com/barbeque_guide/101/Turkey_101.htm
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 05 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
Roxy,

I have probably the smallest smoker on the market, it doesnt hold much but I have learned to make it work real good. I know its a joke to most folks here but it was all I could afford when I got it. It is a Charbroil American Gourmet... Embarassed
LIAR #100
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 05 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
Alien BBQ wrote:
Roxy,

I have probably the smallest smoker on the market, it doesnt hold much but I have learned to make it work real good. I know its a joke to most folks here but it was all I could afford when I got it. It is a Charbroil American Gourmet... :oops:

If we are talking about the one that Walmart sells that has an offset firebox then you are in luck. It should hold up to about a 20lb. turkey. Here is the mod you need to perform.

#1 Open The smoking chamber lid
#2 Identify grill grate
#3 With two hands grasp the grill grate and lift
#4 Remove the grate from the smoking chamber
#5 Set it to the side
#6 Place turkey in a large aluminum throw away pan
#7 Set turkey and the pan in the bottom of the smoker
#8 Close lid

I didn’t want to make it sound too easy. I have to justify my consulting fee, overhead cost, research stipend and publishing cost.

If you don’t like that idea then cut the raw turkey in half and smoke both haves in the smoker together.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 05 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If'n it were me, I'd poke a few holes in the bottom of the aluminum pan to let the liquid run out so you don't end up braising the turkey. However, some might want the juices for smoked turkey gravy, in which case I'd put a wire rack over the aluminum pan on the bottom of the smoker to keep the turkey from sitting in its juices.

Just my 2 francs worth...
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30 05 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:

If we are talking about the one that Walmart sells that has an offset firebox then you are in luck. It should hold up to about a 20lb. turkey. Here is the mod you need to perform.

#1 Open The smoking chamber lid
#2 Identify grill grate
#3 With two hands grasp the grill grate and lift
#4 Remove the grate from the smoking chamber
#5 Set it to the side
#6 Place turkey in a large aluminum throw away pan
#7 Set turkey and the pan in the bottom of the smoker
#8 Close lid

I didn’t want to make it sound too easy. I have to justify my consulting fee, overhead cost, research stipend and publishing cost.

If you don’t like that idea then cut the raw turkey in half and smoke both haves in the smoker together.

I guess thats why ya make the big bucks teaching BBQ Alien. I must confess I nenver thought of that, but your right now that you mention it I can turn one of the grill grates sideways and it lowers it down about 4 inches... Damn I am feeling rather stupid.. Even more than usual.
Thank you for your usual insite.
LIAR #100
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30 05 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
If'n it were me, I'd poke a few holes in the bottom of the aluminum pan to let the liquid run out so you don't end up braising the turkey. However, some might want the juices for smoked turkey gravy, in which case I'd put a wire rack over the aluminum pan on the bottom of the smoker to keep the turkey from sitting in its juices.

Just my 2 francs worth...

Excellent idea Mike, I even have the pan just right for that. Its a small broiling pan from a trailer size oven its about 14 inches by 12 and should be perfect... The plans comming together..

Smoked turkey gravy, now that sounds just too damn good.
LIAR #100
OwenStubbs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26 09 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the type of salt used make a difference? I brined some chicken pieces a few weeks back... I used 1/2 cup each salt and sugar. Salt was basic table salt (Morton Iodized), not kosher, sea salt etc.... Both wife and one of my kids immediately commented that it was really salty - and neither knew I had brined it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: